The ColecoVision trademark

Coleco ColecoVision trademark

104 replies to this topic

#101 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,393 posts

Posted Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 PM

Yes, in the link right above your post on the MAME project page.

That link has nothing about public domain. Something in public domain would have no restrictions and no ownership.

#102 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• 8,090 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 AM

Right. They're not PD. Just like how Vectrex isn't.

#103 PlaysWithWolves OFFLINE  

PlaysWithWolves

Dragonstomper

• 747 posts

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 AM

I think this is super-reasonable for software.

Books and films? OK, let the original creators continue to profit from them. I don't think their heirs need that in perpetuity, though. 

Software feels different, especially since the gap in computing power between 25 years and now is so great. Maybe the curve is flattening out due to the end of Moore's Law, but it seems reasonable to consider Sega Genesis games past the age of being commercially viable. 

The "not being commercialized" bit would still allow joints like Nintendo to do Virtual Console type things. So where's nuColeco in this? They own stuff, but can't do much with it. 

Disney infuriates me because they made their money off public domain works and have led the charge on extending copyrights.  Oh Disney, why can't I quit you?

Original US copyright law was for fourteen years; later extended to an optional fourteen more.  I can even understand protecting it for the life of the author, but past that... c'mon.

Software does feel different, but maybe that's because it should be considered a patent instead of a copyright?  They're basically virtual machines with artistic elements.

Of course this is all academic, anyway.  Next up: World peace.

#104 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

Stargunner

• 1,084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:09 PM

Disney infuriates me because they made their money off public domain works and have led the charge on extending copyrights.  Oh Disney, why can't I quit you?

Original US copyright law was for fourteen years; later extended to an optional fourteen more.  I can even understand protecting it for the life of the author, but past that... c'mon.

Software does feel different, but maybe that's because it should be considered a patent instead of a copyright?  They're basically virtual machines with artistic elements.

Of course this is all academic, anyway.  Next up: World peace.

Next up: World Peace!

Haha...There's something so lovely about that statement....

Wouldn't you think it would be easy?  Have a database, look up a trademark or copyright, Preferably with a contact address in case someone wants to do a cover tune or home version....Done!

They can put a man on the Moon but they can't solve copyright issues!

#105 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,758 posts

Posted Today, 1:24 AM

Next up: World Peace!

Haha...There's something so lovely about that statement....

Wouldn't you think it would be easy?  Have a database, look up a trademark or copyright, Preferably with a contact address in case someone wants to do a cover tune or home version....Done!

They can put a man on the Moon but they can't solve copyright issues!

The only way to achieve world peace is to annihilate all the dissenters who do not believe the same way as you do. If all of humanity was like-minded, there would be no reason for global conflict. Many have attempted this method, promising peace, but they only spread war, oppression, and chaos.

Barring complete genocide of all dissenters, the second best way to achieve peace is for everyone to agree to disagree on everything. Easier said than done. Disagreement has been shown to be the root cause of conflict, so how does one disagree with their neighbor but still get along?

That's the key to world peace, to disagree without conflict. Barring that a new breed of humans who all think, talk, and act the same way, like workers in a colony of bees. And if all humans were the same, who would write the rules? Would we even need rules?

Regardless of path of humanity, I predict a lot of conflict in the future. It is part of our history, unfortunately, and unlikely to disappear anytime soon, regardless of the capability of our weapons.

Also we should love the bomb, as it makes a good deterrent for armed conflict...

/thread. :ponder:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coleco, ColecoVision, trademark

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)