IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

Great!

Do I understand it well? Please, someone, tell me that I'm wrong!

So, he capitalizes on at least one homebrew game to make a name for himself, without any effort put in it nor making a donation to the homebrew scene, with no apology for DMCA attacking fans.

And on top of that, trying to demonize the homebrew scene who made the Coleco scene alive for 2 decades, and making ColecoVision label the "must not be printed" name.

All this to gain credits and profit for work he never does, and get the attention, visibility, and publicity for his gaming expo and future Coleco products for parents and "true fans".

Isn't it by definition the actions of a "super vilain" in movies? I think so, yes.

I couldn't have said this better, Dan. That is indeed a perfect description of what is going on here.

At this point it is up to us if you are going to help them with what they want or do what is best for the community. Just like the environmental question isn't about saving money or jobs, it is about saving the only home we have, otherwise in the future there might be no money or jobs to be saved, here we must work together otherwise there might not be a scene at all while Coleco Holdings is around.

Coleco Holdings depends on us to provide free content. My suggestion is that we no longer provide them anything, and hopefully they will die from starvation in a not so distant future...

• Like 6

Only reason I believe they trademarked Coleco was to try to latch the name to brands owned by Original Appalachian Artworks, Inc. (CPKs) and Nintendo Co., Ltd;

They never wanted to spend time developing a new company or spend money on advertising or really care about the fan base.

Personally we should just call OPcode and Collectorvision the spiritual successors of the real Coleco

• Like 4

They are going to give some money to charity when they sell the games.

Well, I'll just go ahead and be the guy that says it.

So What! Who cares.

The bottom line is that they don't care about whatever charity it is. It's about creating an image, or in this case a feeble attempt at damage control.

It doesn't matter if they give a portion of every sale, or the total from every sale, it's still the same. If they really cared about the charity then they would just make a donation to it. There is no need to tell the community, unless they are doing it for their image.

Anyone here know what charities I donate too? No? Why is that?

Well, because when I care about something I support it. I don't just support something when it makes for a good publicity stunt.

Now don't get me wrong, It's good when real big business and companies set up programs to use a portion of their proceeds to go to a charity, however they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't believe it would net them a profit or goodwill that could be cashed in on for said profit. It's a bit different with smaller operations, and usually more genuine rather than an attempt at putting on a cote of moral teflon.

However, in this case I believe it is purely an attempt by some lizardman to try to crawl back into some reasonably human looking skin.

If Coleco (In name only) gave one shit about the charity they claim they will be making a donation to, then the moment they announce the game would be on sale at the convention, their donation would have been announced too. As stated previously by another, for the same reason as stated.

But, rather they have decided to wait until they are up to their necks in their own oral excrement. Very telling about the ethics and morals of our pal.

Edited by TheClassyGamer
  • Like 8

I couldn't have said this better, Dan. That is indeed a perfect description of what is going on here.

At this point it is up to us if you are going to help them with what they want or do what is best for the community. Just like the environmental question isn't about saving money or jobs, it is about saving the only home we have, otherwise in the future there might be no money or jobs to be saved, here we must work together otherwise there might not be a scene at all while Coleco Holdings is around.

Coleco Holdings depends on us to provide free content. My suggestion is that we no longer provide them anything, and hopefully they will die from starvation in a not so distant future...

I'll support OpcodeVision products before I support CardilloVision products.

• Like 2

So looks like Cardillo, having been outed about his hypocrisy over selling illegal Black Major GI Joe figures on eBay, decided to quickly offload as many as he could at half-price before eBay took action against him. His eBay account no longer has any of these for sale with some definitely having been ended prematurely by him. A clear and absolute admission of guilt.

post-5757-0-87684500-1496512222_thumb.png

post-5757-0-95521400-1496512712_thumb.png

• Like 6

So looks like Cardillo, having been outed about his hypocrisy over selling illegal Black Major GI Joe figures on eBay, decided to quickly offload as many as he could at half-price before eBay took action against him. His eBay account no longer has any of these for sale with some definitely having been ended prematurely by him. A clear and absolute admission of guilt.

attachicon.gifeBay Ended.png

attachicon.gifeBay Ended eg.png

Quoted for truth!

attachicon.gifeBay Ended.png

attachicon.gifeBay Ended eg.png

Chris admitted to having 3 ebay accounts on the GIJoe Website so he could be still selling on ebay

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 1

This Cardillo fella has blocked me on Twitter. All I did was speak the truth, defend Rob and Eduardo and put links to this thread. This guy needs to grow up a little and face the consequences of his actions. This is only the beginning unless he does a 180.

• Like 11

This Cardillo fella has blocked me on Twitter. All I did was speak the truth, defend Rob and Eduardo and put links to this thread. This guy needs to grow up a little and face the consequences of his actions. This is only the beginning unless he does a 180.

Wow, when Cardillo is blocking someone like Rey, you know there is a huge problem. Rey has to be one of the nicest, most level-headed people I've communicated with in this hobby and he continues to put other people ahead of himself when it comes to what he offers this community and the work he has done. It's INSANE to me how many people Chris is one at a time pissing off and creating enemies. Honestly, it's almost *exactly* the same thing Fred did. IMO they are one in the same.

I'd like to think that Mark Thomann has to be a smart guy. I really wonder how much of all of this Mark knows about and if he realizes just about much damage Cardillo is doing to the Coleco brand.

• Like 2

Mark Thomann has to be a smart guy. I really wonder how much of all of this Mark knows about and if he realizes just about much damage Cardillo is doing to the Coleco brand.

Who says that Mark Thomann isn't apart of this mess, even Cardillo tossed him out on the road with his first posting here

Who says that Mark Thomann isn't apart of this mess, even Cardillo tossed him out on the road with his first posting here

Don't forget that Mark is one of his guests at the expo this summer. It would be awfully naive to think that Thomann doesn't know what's going on; it's very likely he's a whole part of this mess. All he cares about is his indoor gardening and trying to profit from it.

Hopefully you weren't surprised by his lack of character; it's been self-evident throughout this circus he created.

I'm getting quite sick of some people beating the drum, admittedly.

Please for goodness sake, let it go. This thing is starting to poison the vibe of our community. You're not a good leader if you feel so burned that you have to jump up and down and point at every wrongdoing of the other party while saying "See! See!"

Let's all take a deep breath, and let it go. After all, the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

• Like 1

A couple of things to note about this:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-06-02 at 15.32.16.png

1. Why would it be "awkward" to announce they are going to give profits to a charity? Isn't that a GREAT thing? Why would that be "awkward?"

2. Why wouldn't you have announced this BEFORE you put the product on sale to get more people to purchase the game? Isn't that the whole point of selling a product for a charitable contribution? To let as many people know so you can sell more copies of it? Something doesn't add up here...

3. Why would you tease people about donating to charity in this post, but not just announce it? That makes no sense to me at all. Wouldn't you want people to know what charity you're contributing to so people could get excited about it and get behind this idea?

Or.... maybe this is a more realistic scenario....

If said charity also belongs to Chris, RWB, or a partner, it would make perfect sense why said arrangement would be "awkward" to some.*

* = denotes the preceding statement is pure speculation upon my part and has no basis in fact or concrete evidence. There, now I'm covered in the event of a libel suit...

• Like 1