Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

2482 replies to this topic

#1251 ColecoJoe OFFLINE  

ColecoJoe

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:46 AM

What?

I think he burnt himself with the soldering iron while working on a colecovision. 

#1252 DadsGlasses ONLINE  

DadsGlasses

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:04 AM

What?

Wow. Clearly I didn't proof read that one. My eyes were blurry after reading this entire thread. Sorry about that.
  • Cav likes this

#1253 Northcoastgamer OFFLINE  

Northcoastgamer

Dragonstomper

• 974 posts
  • So many games, so little time!

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:54 AM

Here's a quote from Mr. Thomanns Twitter feed: "Coleco/ColecoVision products but will not move forward with any potential partner that is not 100 percent transparent with our fan base." I rest my case.

#1254 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,682 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:58 AM

I'm just going to leave this right here...

#1255 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,427 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:23 PM

"How many sandwiches do I owe at this point?"

"I'm gay for AtariAge"

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

#1256 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,965 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:39 PM

Say, if anyone not affiliated with a certain holding company wants to start selling "ColeechcoVision" t-shirts, I'll buy one if it's under $20.00.  :-D  :thumbsup:

It 'appears' that name would be more to the truth... but that is just my opinion.

I could do a run at cost + shipping if enough people are interested, and if you like my design

It's easy to make your own nowadays, too. 

Watch out though, the ColecoVision logo is the one thing these chumps actually own!

leech.png

#1257 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,965 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:42 PM

Here's a quote from Mr. Thomanns Twitter feed: "Coleco/ColecoVision products but will not move forward with any potential partner that is not 100 percent transparent with our fan base." I rest my case.

If they shrink their fan base, there are fewer people to worry about!

#1258 128Kgames OFFLINE  

128Kgames

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts
  • Victory is mine! I am the Worrior!

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:48 PM

Watch out though, the ColecoVision logo is the one thing these chumps actually own!

You mean the logo they couldn't even get there hands on without getting it from someone else?

I dig your shirt design, by the way.

#1259 glazball OFFLINE  

glazball

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:50 PM

That's right, they own Ben Heck's reconstruction of the ColecoVision logo.

#1260 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,965 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:55 PM

You mean the logo they couldn't even get there hands on without getting it from someone else?

We've seen them go after people for less. This is parody, and in my opinion, fair use, but you know what they say about opinions.

#1261 enoofu OFFLINE  

enoofu

Dragonstomper

• 899 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:00 PM

http://segaretro.org...Pal_Plug_&_Play

Here's something similar called the PlayPal plugnplay, with similar games except this one is advertised as "fully licensed by Sega of Japan".  The Coleco Sonic says that "Sega has no affiliation with the Coleco console hardware". 

So just like the Coleco Flashback, is RWB copying and selling software without permission on the Coleco Sonic?

Appears to be a fully legal product, just that they didn't pay for product support from Sega after they got Sega licencing

#1262 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,346 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:28 PM

We've seen them go after people for less. This is parody, and in my opinion, fair use, but you know what they say about opinions.

I just imagined that worm slithering up my ass.

#1263 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,984 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:39 PM

Appears to be a fully legal product, just that they didn't pay for product support from Sega after they got Sega licencing

Yes, the manufacturer likely used the same Sega license that is shown on their non-Coleco branded variations of the game. That bit on the front might be just to explain that these games were never on a Colecovision. I saw this thing in a store a couple of years ago and wondered why anyone would brand Sonic games with Coleco. Anyway on the back of the package it does credit copyright of the game software to Sega. Unlike the Colecovision Flashback which doesn't seem to have any copyright credits on the packaging.

#1264 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,965 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:48 PM

They'll put any of their marks on anything if they get paid enough, and missing the point is par for the course. From their page:

Brim, which was once a decaf brand (that's why you can fill it to the rim, not just have half a cup) is now regular coffee. 

Aiwa was a Japanese brand, then went under Sony's wing, and now is being used in Chinese iPod docks. 

Underalls is from the time when women wore pantyhose all the time, "a liberating brand during a time of women's liberation." So ... "The team is working diligently to launch the new Underalls product line."

Handspring was a Palm compatible mini computer. Now it's gonna be a LifeLink type thing that has nothing to do with the old mark. 

Spuds McKenzie, disgraced beer dog, is being exploited in different ways: "We have launched both a line of pet accessories and vitamins to help those older party animals with their aches and pains. Also, the Spud McKenzie Bar & Grill opened in Cleveland prior to Super Bowl LI."

Honestly, I don't quite understand their reluctance to show a little skin. They've demonstrated that their ethics are up for sale, they're just haggling over the price

#1265 Northcoastgamer OFFLINE  

Northcoastgamer

Dragonstomper

• 974 posts
  • So many games, so little time!

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:54 PM

They also have the Romper Room trademark in their arsenal.

#1266 DuggerVideoGames OFFLINE  

DuggerVideoGames

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:57 PM

Parody qualifies under the definition of fair use, just like the parody of the Candy Man song I wrote about the stupid clown.  Love your logo!

#1267 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,199 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:01 PM

Add me to the potential shirt wishlist

#1268 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,261 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:06 PM

Lord...  As someone wrote a ways back.... "Never go to War with the Internet".  

#1269 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,682 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:07 PM

Quoting to make sure this doesn't get buried.  This is a GREAT video!  Everyone should take 20 minutes and watch this...

I'm just going to leave this right here...

#1270 eebuckeye ONLINE  

eebuckeye

Dragonstomper

• 954 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:23 PM

Incredible video.. I do not even watch hardly any Pat videos but his last two on this issue are on spot!

#1271 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,199 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:34 PM

Heh, I can't believe anyone would listen to that drunken commentary (remember when...)

#1272 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,965 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:36 PM

Heh, I can't believe anyone would listen to that drunken commentary (remember when...)

Ian's not drunk! He's high

#1273 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,346 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:45 PM

They also have the Romper Room trademark in their arsenal.

Romper Room ?!?!?! I still have my Goofy Gears set. And one that is still NIB, MIB, CIB!

#1274 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,261 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:51 PM

So anyway, what's the release date for the 'Officially Licensed' Colecovision hombrews?

#1275 DuggerVideoGames OFFLINE  

DuggerVideoGames

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:57 PM

Ah, page 52 now.  This should be on every page from this point forward...

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users