IGNORED

Is my Myarc RS-232 card bad?

blakespot

I just installed an F18a in my TI-99/4A - awesomeness. Now I am trying to get online using a WiFi232 and the Myarc RS-232 card in my PEB. I'm not seeing communication between TIMXT and the modem, though.

It's always been the case that the RS-232 card shows a red LED when PEB is on but TI-99/4A is off. When the '99 goes up, the LED goes dark. Is the card bad?

https://twitter.com/blakespot/status/866052556602081281

I ran DU2K and it found the card, it seems.

https://twitter.com/blakespot/status/866045419385753600

So, it doesn't seem it's completely dead. I tried TIMXT and TEII (setting to 9600 baud and 1200 on TIMXT and 300 on TEII).

Any ideas, here? Thanks.

bp

timxt i belive only works with the nanopeb?

TEII should work fine.. do you know how to make a loopback rs232 cable?

it's really easy,, you connect pin 2 to pin 3 and then when you type something in TEII you should see it on your ti screen if not you may have to connect all the pins as so:

A DB-25 loopback plug should have a female DB-25 connector and should be wired as follows:

Pin 4 connected to pins 22 and 5 (RTS to RI and CTS)
Pin 2 connected to pin 3 (TxD to RxD)
Pin 20 connected to pins 6 and 8 (DTR to DSR and DCD)

that's the easiest way to test the card to see if it's sending and receiving, when you type you should see the rs232 card light flicker (you probably have to send a lot of data to make it stay on for any length of time)

I highly recommend testing a known good connection first.. like say to a PC serial port you know works.. ti to pc is straight through no null modem needed

Greg

timxt i belive only works with the nanopeb?

TIMXT works with ti, myarc, corcomp cards and the nanopeb. A separate version works with the ubergrom.

Huh, I just found this (micorpendium PDF page 19)

ftp://whtech.com/magazines/micropendium/mp9405.pdf

yes, this article mostly applies to port #2. TIMXT doesn't use any handshaking, so you should be able to get away with a basic cable.

What baud rate and configuration does the wifi modem expect? Are you sure the Transmit and Receive pins are connected properly? It's easy to wire them backwards. When you start typing, does the cursor suddenly stop blinking? That usually indicates a handshake problem.

Post the pinouts for your wifi modem and share here how you built the cable. :)

I can verify the WiFi232 works with the TI.

Be warned there are issues with File transfers on it currently.

Ensure you put in ATNET0 to disable telnet mode and throw it in 8 bit mode once you get a response.

Also...

By default also the WiFi232 is set to 1200 baud. Pauls original code was set to 300 baud.

I had to load up telco at 1200 and then set it to 9600. I could then go into TIMXT at 9600 and save the profile with AT&W code.

Shift838 you're using a real PEB?

I am just using a serial cable and the WiFi232 looks like a Hayes modem, so no odd pin configs, InsaneMultitasker. I am told this ver of TMIXT works with real PEB, yes?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253095-flashrom-99-finalgrom-99-image-repository-5142017/page-15?do=findComment&comment=3560143

I get no change on screen with any typing. As if not connected.

Is the red LED on Myarc card when PEB on but 99 off a odd thing?

Is it a pre-made "PC" serial cable? That won't work if the pinout of the wifi232 is that of a modem.

I believe the LED light being on is normal though I'd have to pop mine in to double check. The light goes out when the card is initialized during the console's powerup process, which occurs when you turn on the TI.

The TI RS232 is a bit different (unfortunately for us). At minimum you'll want a cable that connects 1-1, 2-3, 3-2, 7-7. There are a few variants out there depending on what you want to do and what hardware is in use. If the wifi232 device has hardware handshaking, you'll want to disable that off for now. Shift838 has posted a cable in the past, maybe he can do the same here.

The version of TIMXT in your twitter pics is not the most recent but it -should- work for your tests. I created a dev thread the other day, so when I have a chance I'll work on getting the current release and some rs232 connections in post #1. The more we can pull together for that thread, the better.

Edit: I started building some information into post #1. You can grab a new version from there. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265573-timxt-terminal-emulator-dev/?do=findComment&comment=3761846

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

Can you put together instructions including exactly what Wifi232 you have purchased and exactly what you did to get it working. i would really like to use this on my nanoPEB for my console. Assuming the TI Web Browser and Telnet BBS'ing will work. I was waiting for you to get it working before I asked. To any others, are there any "gotchas" I need to be concerned with?

Thanks, I.M. And I fit a null modem switch dongle on the cable and things are now working. Great to see.

How high do you think I can go with that Myarc RS-232 board as far as bps? What can the TI handle? Thanks.

Your Myarc card as well as the CorComp, TI, nanoPEB, and ubergrom are all usable for terminal emulation at 38.4Kbps when coupled with TIMXT. Programs like Telco and Mass Transfer start dropping characters at 4800bps.

I'm guessing the null modem dongle works for you due to how the Myarc RS232 is wired internally. Your configuration /might not/ work with a TI or CorComp RS232. Would be good to test if you can share a little more about your setup :)

Your Myarc card as well as the CorComp, TI, nanoPEB, and ubergrom are all usable for terminal emulation at 38.4Kbps when coupled with TIMXT. Programs like Telco and Mass Transfer start dropping characters at 4800bps.

I'm guessing the null modem dongle works for you due to how the Myarc RS232 is wired internally. Your configuration /might not/ work with a TI or CorComp RS232. Would be good to test if you can share a little more about your setup :)

Well, the fun's over.

Left the TI on all day and just came back to TIMXT (off w/ family and re-arranged room so I can actually sit in front of the '99) and noticed color on screen was tinted muddy color. No key response. I powered off and on - no video out. Looks like the F18a is in some part dead. (I made another post about this in the TI area with more details).

Not a happy birthday present. :-/

bp

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, Schmitzi said:

Any idea what to check or to change to try out more ?

thx

MyArc-RSIC-1--RS232--RMS-01.thumb.jpg.c94ffc2adf881ea53da9664759b72f4a.jpg

Schmitzi, all the chips there are replaceable, easy enough except the PAL chip, I would replace the caps and voltage regulator first, then desolder each 74ls series chip first, replace with a socket and a new 74 series chip then look at the 9902's and the 1488- 1489 chips, next. The Pal equations would have to be figured out before a replacement pal could be burned. Also the resistors and diods can be checked for proper operation. I would check for operation after each step, so you don't take unnecessary steps. 

Edited by RickyDean
  • Thanks 1