IGNORED

My attempt at racing the beam, I think.

So I was trying my hand at making an asymmetrical playfield, or at least only one side of the playfield existing. It worked well I would say. It cuts PF2 on scanline 3 right before it has a chance to be displayed on the right half of the screen. CTRLPF is set to #1.

Also, the name of the file has nothing to do with the program's actual inner workings. I was thinking of making a display for a score but I decided it's better to leave something so complicated for later.

Another thing, I had some comments in the .asm file but I decided to remove them because I didn't want to risk giving any incorrect information about the program.

Any suggestions to make the code better or more efficient?

panto_scoretest_5-21-2017-7.39PM.asm

panto_scoretest_5-21-2017-7.39PM.bin

Edited by Pantomchap

So I was trying my hand at making an asymmetrical playfield, or at least only one side of the playfield existing. It worked well I would say. It cuts PF2 on scanline 3 right before it has a chance to be displayed on the right half of the screen. CTRLPF is set to #1.

Also, the name of the file has nothing to do with the program's actual inner workings. I was thinking of making a display for a score but I decided it's better to leave something so complicated for later.

Another thing, I had some comments in the .asm file but I decided to remove them because I didn't want to risk giving any incorrect information about the program.

Any suggestions to make the code better or more efficient?

I don't have anything at the moment, except you're missing VBLANK at line 55. Once I'm able to test it I will

Sure.. Here's a couple of things..

Your second load/store is redundant here:

lda #%00000000
	sta PF2
	sta WSYNC
	lda #0
	sta PF2

Also, hit Alt-L when you are running it in Stella and you can see your scan line count is a bit off.

You can fix that by tinkering with your REPEAT amounts. But fix that VBLANK thing first.

Edited by BNE Jeff

Sure.. Here's a couple of things..

Your second load/store is redundant here:

lda #%00000000
	sta PF2
	sta WSYNC
	lda #0
	sta PF2

Also, hit Alt-L when you are running it in Stella and you can see your scan line count is a bit off.

You can fix that by tinkering with your REPEAT amounts. But fix that VBLANK thing first.

I fixed the VBLANK thing and the scanline count thing. I believe it should say "262 @ 60.00fps => NTSC" right?

I now see some black from the VBLANK intruding in on the visible picture. Is this a problem with my program or Stella?

panto_scoretest_5-21-2017-7.39PM.asm

panto_scoretest_5-21-2017-7.39PM.bin

I now see some black from the VBLANK intruding in on the visible picture. Is this a problem with my program or Stella?

The black at the bottom?

post-3056-0-18889900-1495553045.png

A simple test of other games will show that's normal for both the bottom and top of the image:

post-3056-0-15472800-1495553049.png post-3056-0-29155400-1495553329.png

You'll see that on a real display too, in fact you'll see black on all four sides.

post-3056-0-56415400-1495553631_thumb.jpg

Since the picture is under your control you can hide the top/bottom if you want by setting VBLANK earlier in Vertical Blank, and later in OverScan, such as in Air-Sea Battle.

post-3056-0-67075300-1495553349.png

Just beware that if you leave picture output on during VSYNC that it can obscure the Sync signal, resulting in a rolling picture on some TVs.