IGNORED

SAMS card, available for purchase?

adamantyr

So now that I got my P.E. box going again, I am thinking I should acquire a SAMS card...

I know the raw boards and components are sold on ArcadeShopper's site, but as I have stated previously, I am not a hardware person. I just would like to buy it already assembled and good to go.

Anyone have one to sell, or know where I can get it? Also, I presume they are sold bare-board, since the clamshell cases would be an unnecessary expense. Is it possible to put one into the TI's 32k Memory expansion clamshell?

I do not see the point of putting it in a clam shell that is 3/4 larger then the SAMS card?

Mostly just for fun! "It says 32k but it's WAY more than that, bwa ha ha!" Also, it would protect the board from getting damaged.

As is, it's laughable to think that you needed that much physical space for 32K. I've pulled it out of the clamshell before, and it's pretty clear even back in the day they could have placed a lot more chips on it if they had wanted to. Meanwhile I got an SD card that is 16GB, which is around 536 MILLION times more memory...

I have a couple of boards that I'm in the middle of assembling for initial test (these have a few minor updates from the prior version, so I have to test them to make sure they work as expected first). I can sell one of those to you once I have finished testing. I built about 40 of them from the last batch for people, so I've got a lot of practice assembling these.

• Like 1

One general note on TI metal clamshells. Unless the later card puts holes at all of the correct points, the clamshell will not properly close with the new card and if there are any traces under the metal lug just above the bus connector, you will have a lot of released smoke. . .

• Like 1

I have a couple of boards that I'm in the middle of assembling for initial test (these have a few minor updates from the prior version, so I have to test them to make sure they work as expected first). I can sell one of those to you once I have finished testing. I built about 40 of them from the last batch for people, so I've got a lot of practice assembling these.

Excellent, thank you!

Mostly just for fun! "It says 32k but it's WAY more than that, bwa ha ha!" Also, it would protect the board from getting damaged.

As is, it's laughable to think that you needed that much physical space for 32K. I've pulled it out of the clamshell before, and it's pretty clear even back in the day they could have placed a lot more chips on it if they had wanted to. Meanwhile I got an SD card that is 16GB, which is around 536 MILLION times more memory...

Just wondering how old are you?

At the time chips were freaking huge compared to today as the Tech had only 7 years before been using Vacuum tubes.

Look at the size if the 9900 compared to today for a good idea of the changes.

I'll be 42 this year. I am not completely savvy with my electronics but I remember a lot of empty green on the 32k board...

You do know there are no mounting holes in the SAMS card for a Clamshell?

Just out of curiosity, how much additional would it cost to manufacture a SAMS card to be the same height as a regular card? The /only/ reason I ask is that short-depth card is a real pain to remove if other cards are next to it. I realize one should not be inserting and removing cards often, but it happens, so I'm asking ;)

Just out of curiosity, how much additional would it cost to manufacture a SAMS card to be the same height as a regular card? The /only/ reason I ask is that short-depth card is a real pain to remove if other cards are next to it. I realize one should not be inserting and removing cards often, but it happens, so I'm asking ;)

I think it would make more sense for a port on it to put the Speech Card on it or a modified clock card.

You do know there are no mounting holes in the SAMS card for a Clamshell?

Does there need to be? If a 3D printed case was made, it could be custom designed (with raised retainers) to fit like a glove within the specialty case. Four screw mounts could be strategically placed to hold the two halves together.

Maybe I'm stupid (OK, no maybe about it), but wasn't the point of the clamshell to dissipate heat, kinda like a giant heatsink??

If I'm right there, wouldn't a printed clamshell made of plastic do exactly the opposite and seal in heat? (At least until the breathable bio-based materials and conductive metals are perfected for use with 3-D printers? (some say we might see such materials before fall)

I'm of the mind that the less you wear the less you sweat, so naked PEB boards seem to be a wiser choice, (and unless you have a tinted glass front like a modern day gaming rig (which IS a cool idea), who cares?)

really, having such an open rear, the PEB isn't sealed enough to provide ideal airflow for effective cooling, although for the components of the time it was more than sufficient.

Of course they didn't have to worry about the heat generated by a couple of modern GPU's or an X-Fi card (goshdarn but those soundcards run HOT!)

My Apple Mac Pro G5 tower was the hottest computer I have ever seen it has a much higher operation temp then other CPU's made.

The damn thing could heat this end of the house when on in Winter. Also had 11 internal fans.

In comparison my Intel Mac Pro tower only has 9 fans and most do not even turn on unless power up or I really have to make the other 7 processors work hard.