CollectorVision Game System

1024 replies to this topic

#276 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:41 PM

I just want to plug in my existing colecovision carts and play them on my current tv perferrably without tripping over the giant power brick and having to sit 3 feet from the screen due to the coiled controller wires.

And that's exactly what our system is made for ;) :)

#277 HDTV1080P ONLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 780 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:04 PM

Sounds more like Opcode's Prometheus console
This is probably something you'll get with that system 

When and if Prometheus is released, maybe with permission from OPCODE games, the CollectorVision system could emulate it.

#278 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:13 PM

maybe with permission from OPCODE games, the CollectorVision system could emulate it.

Not going to happen
Opcode's system a completely different beast 
Each console offer something great IMO

#279 D3ltax55 OFFLINE  

D3ltax55

Star Raider

• 67 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:44 PM

Would be awsome to add 5200 and 7800 down the road. Isn't the cartridges that same basically? Thats if it can handle it.

#280 artrag ONLINE  

artrag

Stargunner

• 1,165 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2018 11:57 PM

They are totally different from colecovision/msx

#281 D3ltax55 OFFLINE  

D3ltax55

Star Raider

• 67 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:06 AM

How much is the expected price for this?

#282 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• 590 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:15 PM

No official price yet. Trying to keep it a little under $200 for the system.

#283 killersquirel OFFLINE  

killersquirel

Dragonstomper

• 727 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:37 PM

No official price yet. Trying to keep it a little under $200 for the system.

Is there any timeframe for a release yet or is it too early?

#284 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

River Patroller

• 2,233 posts

Posted Wed May 2, 2018 8:12 PM

I am very interested in this and am happy to promote it.  

#285 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,116 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 5:47 PM

Color me intrigued! I dont have a CV or SMS. This would be great!

#286 Hwlngmad ONLINE  

Hwlngmad

Moonsweeper

• 395 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 AM

I am definitely looking forward to further updates on this product.  It sounds very interesting, that's for sure.

#287 SegaSnatcher OFFLINE  

SegaSnatcher

Dragonstomper

• 536 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 3:20 PM

It really is going to come down to the implementation of those consoles via FPGA.   We've been so spoiled with the quality of Kevtris and BunnyBoys systems that the bar has been set really high for Collectorvision. 

I'm all for other people bringing out FPGA consoles, but the quality needs to be in line with the best of them, or you might as well not even do it. 

Edited by SegaSnatcher, Sat May 12, 2018 3:21 PM.

#288 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 PM

It really is going to come down to the implementation of those consoles via FPGA.   We've been so spoiled with the quality of Kevtris and BunnyBoys systems that the bar has been set really high for Collectorvision. 

I'm all for other people bringing out FPGA consoles, but the quality needs to be in line with the best of them, or you might as well not even do it. 

As a proud owner of a SuperNT, I can already tell you that we're going to follow that route
We also want our system to be top quality and also something that looks like a ''real'' Colecovision system

It's not just about making a new CV system, we want to make the very best CV console out there!  

No compromises, We either do something really awesome or we do nothing at all 

#289 JBerel OFFLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,254 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 1:17 PM

So is there any kind of timeline in place for this? I'm interested but not getting any younger.

#290 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,116 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 PM

So is there any kind of timeline in place for this? I'm interested but not getting any younger.

I too am curious!

#291 dragon57 OFFLINE  

dragon57

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 5:02 PM

In the now infamous words of George Broussard from 3D Realms when asked when Duke Nukem Forever would be released, "when it's done!" :-D

#292 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 PM

I too am curious!

We do have a working prototype for a year now
But we certainly not going to rush things, that's for sure

So we're taking all the time needed to make things right

Right now, we're completing the final design of the PCB and enclosure 

We're also working on a new design for a brand new CV controller

Another reason to take all time needed

Not mentioning the toolings required (mold)  etc.. 

Pretty much anybody can make a FPGA CV console, but our goal is simply to make the very best one!

That being said, we're aiming for 2019  :) 

#293 JBerel OFFLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,254 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 PM

I hear ya, and believe me, I know these things take time. But honestly, every time you mention a new piece your planning on, it sounds like another non specific delay in a very non specific project plan. I'm really not inclined to remain interested in this when it doesn't sound like there's any motivation to finalize the plan and execute on a timeline. If I had a nickel for every project that failed to complete for lack of planning or discipline, I'd be drowning in nickels. Not trying to be harsh at all. It just sounds like there's a wealth of ideas and experimentation, but little motivation to lock in and deliver. At some point ya gotta enter production and leave R&D behind.

#294 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 PM

I hear ya, and believe me, I know these things take time. But honestly, every time you mention a new piece your planning on, it sounds like another non specific delay in a very non specific project plan. I'm really not inclined to remain interested in this when it doesn't sound like there's any motivation to finalize the plan and execute on a timeline. If I had a nickel for every project that failed to complete for lack of planning or discipline, I'd be drowning in nickels. Not trying to be harsh at all. It just sounds like there's a wealth of ideas and experimentation, but little motivation to lock in and deliver. At some point ya gotta enter production and leave R&D behind.

The team working on the CollectorVision System is not involved at all with games we're doing

So, no delay here

I can understand your concern, but everything is set and right in place

We've also been working with Moldex for years now, so doing the tooling and mold is going to go smooth 

#295 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,097 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 PM

The team working on the CollectorVision System is not involved at all with games we're doing
So, no delay here

I can understand your concern, but everything is set and right in place
We've also been working with Moldex for years now, so doing the tooling and mold is going to go smooth

Ah, so you got Moldex involved! Is it Sylvia's husband who's working on the enclosure designs? I met the guy once, and I could tell he likes to do that kind of video game-related project. :D

If custom controllers will be included with your FPGA console, please do take your time to do them right. A cheap, clickety D-pad that breaks easily can be enough of a deal-breaker to ruin the console's reputation.

#296 SegaSnatcher OFFLINE  

SegaSnatcher

Dragonstomper

• 536 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 PM

As a proud owner of a SuperNT, I can already tell you that we're going to follow that route
We also want our system to be top quality and also something that looks like a ''real'' Colecovision system

It's not just about making a new CV system, we want to make the very best CV console out there!  

No compromises, We either do something really awesome or we do nothing at all 

Thats great to hear!!!   Excited to see this in action.

#297 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 PM

Ah, so you got Moldex involved! Is it Sylvia's husband who's working on the enclosure designs? I met the guy once, and I could tell he likes to do that kind of video game-related project. :D

If custom controllers will be included with your FPGA console, please do take your time to do them right. A cheap, clickety D-pad that breaks easily can be enough of a deal-breaker to ruin the console's reputation.

Moldex is only going to make the casing, not the design itself 

Yeah, controllers need to be very tight indeed
Otherwise, why doing a brand new CV controller  

#298 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,097 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 PM

Moldex is only going to make the casing, not the design itself

I was talking about the enclosure design. The CAD stuff, in other words. :)

#299 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 PM

I was talking about the enclosure design. The CAD stuff, in other words. :)

This is done by us

#300 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,817 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 3:26 PM

Ok, sadly we couldn't come to an agreement with Eduardo about the SGM compatibility with our console

That being said, we're NOT going to make any more SGM compatible games 

Although, those who are buying our system will be able to ''hack'' their console and add the SGM compatibility (just like the Analogue SuperNT) 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users