Photo

CollectorVision Game System

1200 replies to this topic

#526 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,941 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 PM

But you know it won't take us 10 years to have it done.....like some other guy  ;)

Sorry J-F, gotta comment about this.  I know you may be angry at the "other" guy but wouldn't it be best to keep your anger out of the public domain.  This just seems to be unnecessarily inflammatory.

#527 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,091 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 PM

Sorry J-F, gotta comment about this.  I know you may be angry at the "other" guy but wouldn't it be best to keep your anger out of the public domain.  This just seems to be unnecessarily inflammatory.

Absolutely, just tell ''the other guy'' to stop spreading bad words about us

There's always 2 sides to a medal ....  

Edited by retroillucid, Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 PM.

#528 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,941 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 PM

Fair enough.  I just wish both sides would keep the arguments private.

#529 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,623 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 PM

Not entirely sure yet

But you know it won't take us 10 years to have it done.....like some other guy  ;)

I was gonna say that 10 year thing yesterday lol . 10 years and counting ... I bet this system will beat DKA out sadly . Some people just like to talk about things and then change things , make excuses , talk more , change things , make more more excuses and repeat . Nice to see this console coming together . When I first saw the photo of this console I thought of the Colecovision Flashback . 

#530 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,091 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 PM

Fair enough.  I just wish both sides would keep the arguments private.

The ''other guy'' NEVER tried to contact me about this

But if you're attacking me, I won't be that guy who does nothing, I'll defend myself 
....And I already have a good idea on how to do it....trust me!

#531 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,091 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 PM

I was gonna say that 10 year thing yesterday lol . 10 years and counting ... I bet this system will beat DKA out sadly . Some people just like to talk about things and then change things , make excuses , talk more , change things , make more more excuses and repeat . Nice to see this console coming together . When I first saw the photo of this console I thought of the Colecovision Flashback . 

I'm honestly tired of drama, wich is always caused by the very same guy, always

I just wish we could all do our stuff on our own without bashing others 
Like mine is better than yours etc.

This is child's play!

#532 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• 633 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 PM

Switching over to a positive note:  Newest assembled prototypes came in today  :-D

#533 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,091 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:33 PM

. When I first saw the photo of this console I thought of the Colecovision Flashback . 

Oh please, don't compare our system to ANY flashback :P 

#534 Mr. John ColecoVision OFFLINE  

Mr. John ColecoVision

Chopper Commander

• 168 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:34 PM

Switching over to a positive note:  Newest assembled prototypes came in today  :-D

Pics? :)

#535 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• 633 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:36 PM

Hopefully I'll be able to post an update later tonight

#536 willbilly OFFLINE  

willbilly

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:27 PM

In my defense, the design language of the original Colecovision is pretty rectangular.   I had wilder ideas, but I thought they departed too far from the original for the majority of Coleco fans.  The newest iteration has been refined and tweaked.  Hopefully you'll find it a little more exciting.

#537 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,163 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 AM

Sounds exciting. Lots of new/classic console/companies working on mew systems. Fun times.

#538 nick3092 OFFLINE  

nick3092

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 AM

I was a little disheartened to hear about the licensing agreement with Cardillo. I'd hate to think any funds from this project in anyway are helping him make his next music video or feeding his dillusion that he can keep milking the brand and being a general a hole to the community.

But on the other hand, I get why it would be considered. It adds to the nostalgia and gives it a better market outside of AA where people might not be aware of the project based on the name/logo. And the licensed built in games also add some value to the console.

I was planning on buying/supporting both projects. And probably still will. But I'm not going to lie and say that the licensing agreement with Cardillo didn't make me think twice about this one. Because it certainly did.

I'd much rather see the product come out with its own name/logo and no built in games licensed from Cardillo than have any portion of the funds (no matter how small) go back to him.
  • TPR likes this

#539 MiniRPG OFFLINE  

MiniRPG

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 AM

I will proudly support the ColecoVision™ HD Video Game System and pending Kickstarter.

Edited by MiniRPG, Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 AM.

#540 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

River Patroller

• 2,199 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 AM

I was a little disheartened to hear about the licensing agreement with Cardillo. I'd hate to think any funds from this project in anyway are helping him make his next music video or feeding his dillusion that he can keep milking the brand and being a general a hole to the community.

But on the other hand, I get why it would be considered. It adds to the nostalgia and gives it a better market outside of AA where people might not be aware of the project based on the name/logo. And the licensed built in games also add some value to the console.

I was planning on buying/supporting both projects. And probably still will. But I'm not going to lie and say that the licensing agreement with Cardillo didn't make me think twice about this one. Because it certainly did.

I'd much rather see the product come out with its own name/logo and no built in games licensed from Cardillo than have any portion of the funds (no matter how small) go back to him.

Everything this guy said perfectly sums up my feelings 100% - There was absoultely no question in my mind that I would be supporting this project, buying more than one system for myself, and making sure I pointed everyone that came to the ColecoVision Fan socials to this new system as an option to extend their fandom for ColecoVision.  But with Cardillo involved, even in a minor role, it makes me question wanting to do that.  And while yes, I will still do that, I wish I didn't have to stop and think about it before doing so.

It's just unfortunate that the Coleco brand currently sits with such an absoultely horrible disgusting untrustworthy shady human when it could be in the hands of someone who could actually do amazing things with it.

Best of luck to you guys, CollectorVision, you still have my support, and while I don't agree with the decision to brand it as ColecoVision, I understand it.  Let's just hope that brand eventually gets sold off to someone better and it will be a win-win for everyone.

#541 JBerel OFFLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,403 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 PM

Maybe instead of sending him a check, you could make a donation in his name to the National Douche-Bag Fund. 

#542 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• 633 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 PM

There are definitely not bags of money going to Coleco and the amount is not enough to raise the price of the system at all. I can't defend the things that were done in the past, but all I can say is that they have been very generous with us.

#543 JBerel OFFLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,403 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:20 PM

Sure they have. By having a documented license agreement with any commercially available product, it raises their profile and standing for the bogus claim they maintain they have to the Colecovision brand which still sits on very shaky ground due to the filing they submitted based on it's use by someone else who never offered a product in the marketplace, but unwittingly agreed to sign a "license" for a buck just to make the goobers go away when they had no standing to demand a license in the first place.

#544 Hwlngmad OFFLINE  

Hwlngmad

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:27 PM

We all know that the owners of the Colecovision brand have been douches to various people.  However, if getting their blessing/license helps Colectorvision games make their upcoming console as kosher as possible with all interested parties, that can't be bad thing.  I agree that it raises their profile and standing a tad, but at least this isn't an Retro VGS / Atari VCS type of situation, so I am cool with it.  I look forward to seeing what they have in store as having new hardware to replace a depleting pool of pre-existing consoles is much welcomed.

#545 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Dragonstomper

• 633 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 PM

Sure they have. By having a documented license agreement with any commercially available product, it raises their profile and standing for the bogus claim they maintain they have to the Colecovision brand which still sits on very shaky ground due to the filing they submitted based on it's use by someone else who never offered a product in the marketplace, but unwittingly agreed to sign a "license" for a buck just to make the goobers go away when they had no standing to demand a license in the first place.

While this might slightly help them, their tabletop products solidify their claims on the trademark. They don't need our license for that, although it does slightly strengthen it. The other thing is that the only way their claim matters is if someone is willing to challenge them in court over it. This was looked at last year and no one was willing to put up the money to do it. So if no one is willing to challenge it, their claim will stand regardless of the licensing deals they procure.

#546 insertclevernamehere OFFLINE  

insertclevernamehere

Chopper Commander

• 170 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:28 PM

Now this might not be a detail you've considered or is set in stone yet but will the pack in Sydney Hunter game be cib or loose cart?

Not entirely sure yet

If you decide on loose, I hope you give the option to pay a little extra for those of us who prefer our games boxed.

#547 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,091 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 PM

If you decide on loose, I hope you give the option to pay a little extra for those of us who prefer our games boxed.

I'm going to listen and see what people prefer
But I guess everyone is up having the game CIB  ;)

#548 128Kgames OFFLINE  

128Kgames

Stargunner

• 1,028 posts
  • Victory is mine! I am the Worrior!

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 PM

The license is for the use to use the Colecovision name, logo, and a set of games.

Gotta say I am really surprised to hear this - did everyone forget the events of the past year?

Weren't we the community going to string this guy up (Coleco) at one point?

Now we're all "OK" with putting his name on a new product?

Really?  No one but me is bothered by this?

Amazing what people can forget in a year...

#549 MiniRPG OFFLINE  

MiniRPG

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 PM

I would certainly pay a few extra bucks for the CIB experience.

#550 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,615 posts

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 PM

I suppose it can be a priced option or you can sell the box separately. If including a box jacks up the price, or requires cutting something more functional to maintain a price point, the box price might as well be borne by those who want it. Those who would be affronted by a boxless cart are probably the same ones who wouldn't mind the extra cost.

I also worry about feature cutting to maintain the price point as form gains on function. $5-$10 bucks for functionless licenses, $10 for boxes ...

I know sales is mostly about presentation, but I hope we are not losing features over time, as I would, personally, weigh function over form. I'm not saying that has happened, I just don't want to see it happen.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users