CollectorVision Game System

206 replies to this topic

#201 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,059 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 AM

I definitely want one, although I would need it with full-function controllers since I got rid of my existing collection of all of that stuff.

#202 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,063 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 PM

How will the Standard Controller be attached for keypad control? Is there a port on this, y-cable or will the keypad controller go in port 2?

#203 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,765 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:00 AM

How will the Standard Controller be attached for keypad control? Is there a port on this, y-cable or will the keypad controller go in port 2?

I would expect the keypad will be used via port 2. If this paddle controller generates the same interrupts as the original steering wheel, then it will need player 2's controller to be compatible with Turbo, Destructor, Dukes of Hazzard, etc.

This makes me wonder what new games could be made for this controller, beyond Arkanoid. Tac-Scan comes to mind, and Tempest would rock with this controller. Maybe some conversions of interesting Atari 2600 paddle games like Guardian, Star Wars Jedi Arena, Solar Storm, Encounter At L-5, Circus Atari, GI-Joe Cobra Strike, Astroblast, or Warlords. Or maybe a Microvision simulator (you could probably fit all the Microvision games into one cartridge).

In terms of new homebrew games, I would imagine a fun version of table soccer or Battleship, or a paddle-driven clone of Galaga, Gyruss or Rip-Off. Oh, and a clone of Asteroids that plays with a paddle and two buttons (one for shooting, one of thrust) would be great, but it would need much faster gameplay than Asteroids or else it would be a rather dull experience. Maybe call it Space Fury II? :)

Also, I'd be curious to know how well this paddle controller works with Kaboom! (the budget game). Does CollectorVision's release of Pong support the Roller Controller or steering wheel? If not, then I would expect Pong II to be released at one point! ;)

#204 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Moonsweeper

• 433 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 PM

If there was a USB port on the CollectorVision game system a actual steering wheel with break and acceleration pedal could be used. Perhaps one of the Steering wheels with pedals could be taken apart and a serial port could be created so it works with existing and future ColecoVision/ADAM games.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9086NX4123&cm_re=STEERING_WHEEL_WITH_PEDAL-_-9SIA9086NX4123-_-Product

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g920-driving-force

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/driving-force-shifter

#205 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• Topic Starter
  • 7,511 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 PM

I would expect the keypad will be used via port 2. If this paddle controller generates the same interrupts as the original steering wheel, then it will need player 2's controller to be compatible with Turbo, Destructor, Dukes of Hazzard, etc.

This makes me wonder what new games could be made for this controller, beyond Arkanoid. Tac-Scan comes to mind, and Tempest would rock with this controller. Maybe some conversions of interesting Atari 2600 paddle games like Guardian, Star Wars Jedi Arena, Solar Storm, Encounter At L-5, Circus Atari, GI-Joe Cobra Strike, Astroblast, or Warlords. Or maybe a Microvision simulator (you could probably fit all the Microvision games into one cartridge).

In terms of new homebrew games, I would imagine a fun version of table soccer or Battleship, or a paddle-driven clone of Galaga, Gyruss or Rip-Off. Oh, and a clone of Asteroids that plays with a paddle and two buttons (one for shooting, one of thrust) would be great, but it would need much faster gameplay than Asteroids or else it would be a rather dull experience. Maybe call it Space Fury II? :)

Also, I'd be curious to know how well this paddle controller works with Kaboom! (the budget game). Does CollectorVision's release of Pong support the Roller Controller or steering wheel? If not, then I would expect Pong II to be released at one point! ;)

That is correct, you need a controller plugged into the controller port#2

We've already thought about doing Tac/Scan, Tempest and a few oters great games

Does Kaboom! is supporting Exp#2 ?

If so, then it'll works for sure

Needless to say, we already have some great ideas for supporting the Spinner Controller  :)  

#206 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• Topic Starter
  • 7,511 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 PM

OK

I confirm 

Kaboom!  is working with our Spinner Controller  :) 

#207 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,765 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 PM

Does Kaboom! is supporting Exp#2 ?
If so, then it'll works for sure

Kaboom! works with the Roller Controller, so it should work with the Exp#2, unless the interrupts between the two controllers don't quite work the same way...? Anyhow, whoever has the prototype of your Spinner Controller could try Kaboom! right now if he wants, since the ROM of the game is freely available since last Christmas. :)

EDIT: Ah, okay, never mind. :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users