IGNORED

Digital Devices U-CALL Universal Modem Interface

with some small modification this could well go reliably beyond the 19,200 mark... my only gripe was the lack of dtr and now I know why.... just tied to 5v..grrr

Supra had one for pairing with an AVATEX modem but it was a combination somewhere between this an actual r device... it buffered some.. this also explains something in terms of evolution of the product

as you can see this device did have the lines... just not dtr in this version.. though I am certain it could be added... supra had one that did dtr... used the modem with... It worked over sio no weird wires to the joystick port... ri (ring indicate) is really not used by anything at all even back then.. the bbs just looked for the connect message, ring, carrier detect, and dtr to hang up.... in any event, I bet a close look, rework and a capable driver will yield a suitable modern day device that suits the purpose...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple years back I constructed what I think is a very comprehensive collection of R: handlers, but I don't have anything I can recognize as being for the U-CALL.

Another possibility is if it were distributed with a complete communications program with built-in handler. But I don't know of a program like that either.

So I'm hoping someone can post or share any original software, or original documentation, that goes with the U-CALL.

Geezer is correct in order to use it with TurboTwin2000 BBS it loaded a handler of sorts before the BBS... please check your files for the supra version as well... it was in a black half cartridge sized case with one end completely open that was circa 1985 ish give or take...

You could access the device directly but that is pretty much like writing your own driver...

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 6 years later...

I just picked one of these up and it came with the manual and original disk. I'm attaching an ATR of the disk. The handler loads on boot and is also on the disk as an OBJ file. There's a comms program on there too, type RUN "D:AMOD*.*" to load it from basic.

IMG_4625.thumb.jpeg.dc813228e6a6fbf4b34bf16dcd4698ea.jpeg

I'll have a look at scanning the manual once I've flattened it out :D

UCall_Model_A_Disk_Software.atr

Edited by spookt
Picture so it happened 😉
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2