IGNORED

Sears video arcade ii power supply (will this work)?

BiffsGamingVideos

I have a sears video aracde ii with no power supply i want to sell. Output: 10VAC, 750mA . I was wondering about the power supply compatibility. I have a dve dv-1215a. I am not sure where this came from. Input: 120vac 60hz 30w. output: 12vac, 1.25a. Would this work on the sears video arcade II?

I know there have been tons of info provided but I just don't get the whole power thing. Sorry.

If not then 1010 cassete drive, 1030 modem, or 1050 disk drive? here is a link to those power supplies.

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-are-the-power-requirements-for-my-atari-components_44.html

N O R T H A M E R I C A INPUT = 115-120 V AC, 50/60Hz
========================
AC supplies (external transformers)
9 V AC 5.4 VA (600 mA) Atari#CO62195/CO17539

9 V AC 4.5 VA (500 mA) Atari#CO61516

9 V AC 15.3 VA (1.7 A) Atari#CO14319
400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL

9 V AC 18 VA (2.0 A) Atari#CA014748/CA016804
400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL,810

9 V AC 31 VA (3.4 A) Atari#CO17945
400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL,810,1020,1050,XF551

9 V AC 50 VA (5.6 A) Atari#CA017964
400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL,810,1020,1050,XF551

Whether or not it its good for it depends on if the original supply was designed to supply more or less than the current the system requires and the design of the internal power system.

Isn't this the unit basically an Atari 2600 with new clothes? If so then the AC power should be internal rectified and controlled by a linear voltage regulator and use an power unit that was designed to be under rated for current (common to keep size & costs down) so that the output voltage dropped under load to say 6V AC (8.5V DC when rectified) then the extra current and voltage of your intended replacement will result in a higher DC voltage and double the power dissipation in the voltage regulator.

In conclusion I doubt it would damage the system but it is not an ideal replacement as there is the possibility that using it may result in some intermittent operation due to the voltage regulator overheating and going into thermal shut down during extended periods of use. Unfortunately the only way of knowing if that will occur it to use the system for 3 or 4 3 hours and see if there are any noticeable effects.

The unit is a 2600 but looks like a 7800. However, the power supply port is not the same. the 2600 is a pin while this is a tube. If you know what I mean? The power supply ends that plug into the system are not the same. This was the only power supply I found in my boxes that fit this system so I guess whoever had it before me used it. It does power up. I was just wondering from the specs of the system and the power supply if it was OK. Sounds like it is. Thanks for your help.

The 'tube' connection is what we call a barrel jack. Very common on later consoles during the mid late 80s and early 90s. What is important is the polarity along with the current. The voltage also is..to a degree. But if the original wanted 10v at 750ma them any other power supply from 10 - 9v and at least 800ma on up will work. Again, as long as the polarity is correct. Another thing I noticed...did you say the power supply you tested it with says the output is 12vac? That would mean 12v AC and not the DC that the console needs. While it might have happened to work, it will burn out something if left that way. Need to find something different. Again, depending on the polarity requirements. If is has a center tip negative, then any Genesis model 1 or SMS power supply could be used I'd guess. If it is center tip positive, then most adapters used on small network switches are good replacements.

DVE power supply

model: dv-1215a

Input: 120vac, 60hz, 30w

Output: 12vac, 1.25a

Here is link to one on ebay, but mine it actually silver. The specs seems to be the same.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=222515941207&&&dispItem=1&chn=ps

============================================================================

this is specs for the system or so this website says this is what is needed.
Input - 120VAC, 60Hz
Output - 9VAC, 1000mA

here is link to sears video arcade ii power supply:

http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hercules-workshop&item=70271

============================================================================

So looking at what is needed, would the DV one work then? you all got me scared with the AC/DC thing. So is this guy on the above link wrong?

BTW: It's really an Atari 2800 but the US version. 4 joystick ports.

=============================================================================

I did find another thread if this helps:

"It's a 3.5mm barrel 9v positive center."

I've used both an Atari 810 power supply and a Sega Genesis 1 power supply

I've used NES and Odyssey 2 power supplies with my Video Arcade II with no problem.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

An AC adapter will damage a regular 2600 console, but will work fine in a 2800/SVAII (The original power supply is AC)
You can also use DC on a 2800/SVAII.

quote from this thread:

A Sears Video Arcade II will run fine on AC or DC, it makes absolutely no difference, there is no component inside that actually requires AC. The first thing after the socket on the circuit is a rectifier bridge, this converts AC to DC and DC will pass through one just fine with no ill effects, it even has the nice effect of correcting polarity for you, tip positive and tip negative doesn't matter when using DC on a SVAII.

An AC adapter will damage a regular 2600 console, but will work fine in a 2800/SVAII (The original power supply is AC)

You can also use DC on a 2800/SVAII.

quote from this thread:

So the SVA II has an inverter in it similar to the original front loader NES then? Interesting. That being the case, I would prefer to use the DC power supplies as that would save some wear and tear electronically since the inverter wouldn't have to do anything. I use Sega Genesis model 1 PS with my NES and have for years.