IGNORED

Is there a guide on switching out 5200 BIOS

BiffsGamingVideos

The only reason to swap BIOS is to get 3 games to work on most 2 ports console. A few very early 2 ports seems to have 4 port BIOS. The change was to add PAL support but broke 3 games: Pitfall!, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shootout. No PAL game was ever made so it was a pointless upgrade.

If any of the 3 games work on your 5200, you don't need to change BIOS. I checked, COnsole5 has the chip upgrade for $6 plus shipping.

• Like 1

The only reason to swap BIOS is to get 3 games to work on most 2 ports console. A few very early 2 ports seems to have 4 port BIOS. The change was to add PAL support but broke 3 games: Pitfall!, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shootout. No PAL game was ever made so it was a pointless upgrade.

If any of the 3 games work on your 5200, you don't need to change BIOS. I checked, COnsole5 has the chip upgrade for $6 plus shipping.

or a 4 port to use the 2600 adaptor.

I did try to go to their website but notron flags it as being unsafe.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

You pull it out and stick in the new one, make sure the replacement is a 2532 EPROM.

Does $7 include shipping?

Well, I kinda of guessed that. But how? Does you take a needle nosed plyers and pull up? Do you have to touch metal to ground it? I've never done this.

BTW: Today I figurered out how to swap out a 2600 select switch with the spring. Dang that's hard.

Lift it up with a tiny screw driver, each end a little bit at a time. And yeah, probably not a good idea to rub a balloon on your head while you do it. ;)

The 5200 compatibility for the 2600 adapter is a hardware mod.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/cx55.html

Do not know this store: https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-4-port-vcs-compatibility-mod-kit.html

• Like 1

Lift it up with a tiny screw driver, each end a little bit at a time. And yeah, probably not a good idea to rub a balloon on your head while you do it. ;)

The 5200 compatibility for the 2600 adapter is a hardware mod.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/cx55.html

Do not know this store: https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-4-port-vcs-compatibility-mod-kit.html

Looks like sodering. I could probably change out the chip, but sodering is not my thing. However, I want to take an electronics class at some point so this would be a good use of the new leanred tools.

First...I've bought I can't tell you how many times from the Console5.com website store and never had a problem. So not sure why the site would be flagged as unsafe because it most definitely isn't.

And if I recall correctly, the 5200 bios chip is always in a socket regardless of 4-port or 2-port? So there shouldn't be any soldering or de-soldering required. Literally just lift the old chip out of the socket, and replace it with the 4-port bios chip. Just have to make sure the notch at the end of chip is facing the correct way. Easier bios swap there is.

Always socketed so all you'd need is a little screwdriver if you don't have IC extractor tool. The hardest part is the RF shield, you got to twist about 40 tabs and straighten those out then gently pry apart both top and bottom RF shield to remove them. I do suggest keeping them when you put the 5200 back together, I always got fuzzy picture without the shield. Don't have to twist all of the tab, just a couple on opposite corners to keep it together and leave it at that.

BIOS mod has nothing to do with VCS adapter. That is an entirely different mod to change one pin on 5200 connector and feed video out to the RF circuit without interference with regular 5200 carts. It is a bit complex and you will not be able to use the modded console and AV mod together. IMO just get a stand along 2600 Jr and skip the adapter mod.

4 ports with a * in serial number is already VCS compatible, later production run before Atari went 2 ports.

So is this as easy or line swapping out a 386 with a 486? or putting in a math co-processor? I did those back in the early 90s. I remember the bar that you'd lift to release the chip, then remove it.

Essentially...yes. Though there isn't a hold down lock bar here. The chip is just pressed into the socket. So you use a small #1 flatblade screwdriver and wedge it between the bottom of the chip where it meets the top of the socket. Wedge it in there and slowly press down to force that side of the chip off the socket a little. Then do the same to the other side. Continue to do this little by little on each side until the chip is free of the socket.

A chip puller is better of course, but even with one of those you still have to rock the chip left to right as you pull up to wedge it free from the socket.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Thanks for the help. Sounds simple enough,

SIDE NOTE: This should be its own topic......I have a Atari 130XE that has power and all but when boots up is stuck on the memory test. I am assuming it needs new RAM or something. Is this just as easy or are they soldered on or what?

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos