IGNORED

7800 controller malfunction

shear_xear

Hi everyone. I have had an issue with several 7800 Pro Line joysticks over the past year or so where the second button will just continually fire. I use Asteroids as a test cart for the controller, and it will just use the "warp escape" the entire time, and no other command will work while this is happening, I have replaced the dome switches and cleaned the contacts. I have swapped out the actual little board associated with the second button. Nothing has worked. Is there a fix for this, or are these controllers just junk now? Thanks!

You didn't tell us if you have any controllers that don't exhibit this problem. Have you tried unplugging the joystick to see if it stops and ensure that the problem isn't with the port or otherwise on the 7800 side rather than the sticks?

Examine the joystick port and check for bent pins.

It is the controllers for sure. This has happened multiple times now on many different machines. I have had many more controllers that do not act in this way. The pins on the 7800 are not bent. I can't figure out if it is the cable or the main controller board.

I am not familar with the inner construction of these controllers however you mentioned that you swapped the board associated with the second button. That sounds like it is a sepearte board that plugs into the main board, if that is correct does the problem still exist with that button board removed/disconnected?

That will indicate if the problem is with that board or the main board/cable, if you had to solder the button board connections as opposed to them being a plug & socket connection check you have not shorted any connections together with solder first.

If you cannot see any solder shorts and still have the problem with the button board disconnected from the main board try to identify which wire goes from the main board to that fire pin on the controller plug and disconnect it from the main board. If it is still showing the fault then it is probable a short in the cable (if the fault disappears when wiggling the cable that would also suggest a cable fault), if not then there could be a short on the main board, as Atari controllers generally have an active low input I would look for a short to GND (0V).