IGNORED

mame exidy light gun games can't shoot

bradhig1

In any of the Exidy light gun games like Crossbow and Cheyenne when I press my mouse button or ctrl on the keyboard the gun won't shoot I just hear some other sound and the targets don't get hit. I am using mame 186. Bad enough I had to download new roms for the exidy light gun games cause they renamed them for no reason and now they break games that were working. They won't even bother to fix the sound in Lazarian just keep renaming roms.

I just tested in Mame 185. CTRL and mouse buttons works correctly. I did have to turn on mouse input. You can press tab and check the inputs.

You must have had a very old rom set. My set is from v0.153 and these games all worked in mame 185.

I'd have to download mame 186 for a proper test.

now mousetrap won' 74t work anymore cause they added three rom files 74s288.6c 74s10m.1c and 74s288.3d why do that to a perfectly working game?

Maybe the updates are resetting or messing with setting values in the inputs. I would agree with mr_me to check inputs. Happens to all my printer settings at work, too, every time IT updates something.

In any of the Exidy light gun games like Crossbow and Cheyenne when I press my mouse button or ctrl on the keyboard the gun won't shoot I just hear some other sound and the targets don't get hit. I am using mame 186. Bad enough I had to download new roms for the exidy light gun games cause they renamed them for no reason and now they break games that were working. They won't even bother to fix the sound in Lazarian just keep renaming roms.

This is indeed a problem introduced in v0.186. It's already logged at mametesters.org, id. 06596.

now mousetrap won' 74t work anymore cause they added three rom files 74s288.6c 74s10m.1c and 74s288.3d why do that to a perfectly working game?

From the FAQ at mamedev.org.

---------------------------

I had ROMs that worked with an old version of MAME and now they don't. What happened?

"As time passes, MAME is perfecting the emulation of older games, even when the results aren't immediately obvious to the user. Often times the better emulation requires more data from the original game to operate. Sometimes the data was overlooked, sometimes it simply wasn't feasible to get at it (for instance, chip "decapping" is a technique that only became affordable very recently for people not working in high-end laboratories). In other cases it's much simpler: more sets of a game were dumped and it was decided to change which sets were which version."

---------------------------

Best to use Mame v0.185 until problems are resolved.

• 1 month later...

Found the three missing Mouse Trap roms. In fact you might already have them but named differently. This gave me a clue.

"The Mouse Trap manual confirms it has 3 PROMs. They also match the Teeter Torture ones."

ROM_REGION( 0x140, "proms", 0 )

ROM_LOAD( "74s288.6c", 0x0000, 0x0020, CRC(f76b4fcf) SHA1(197e0cc508ffeb5cefa4046bdfb158939d598225) )

ROM_LOAD( "24s10n.1c", 0x0020, 0x0100, CRC(43b35bb7) SHA1(0a0cecea8faff9f3ff4c2ceda0b5b25e8e1cd667) )

ROM_LOAD( "74s288.3d", 0x0120, 0x0020, CRC(e26f9053) SHA1(eec35b6aa2c2d305418306bf4a1754a0583f109f) )

-------------------------------

That exidy shooter bug was fixed in v.187. http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6596

Not just the Exidy light gun games but the Mouse Trap type games were also affected. I downloaded the recent rom to get it to run on .162 (usually works), not only was the music missing but it crashes after completing a level. Same thing for Venture...

I'll have to give .187 a try for those games...

Not just the Exidy light gun games but the Mouse Trap type games were also affected. I downloaded the recent rom to get it to run on .162 (usually works), not only was the music missing but it crashes after completing a level. Same thing for Venture...

I'll have to give .187 a try for those games...

Looks like that one was resolved a while ago. There's notes about it but the fix wasn't documented. http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5918
  • Like 1