Photo

Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable?

56 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable? (139 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable?

1. Yes (73 votes [52.52%])

Percentage of vote: 52.52%

2. No (46 votes [33.09%])

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

3. I plan too in the future (20 votes [14.39%])

Percentage of vote: 14.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,023 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 1:53 PM

This handheld has been out for some time now soooo..... Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable? If so, how do you like\dislike it?  Would you buy another in the future if they released another version?

#2 Hyperboy OFFLINE  

Hyperboy

River Patroller

• 3,421 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:04 PM

I dig it and I will be buying future versions as well.

#3 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,503 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:10 PM

Oh heck yes I did. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good, especially at the asking price. 

Frequently asked questions, including a software compatibility list here

#4 Jumpman1981 OFFLINE  

Jumpman1981

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:31 PM

I got mine as a gift, so I didn't buy it, but I do have one

#5 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

Stargunner

• 1,552 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:40 PM

Yep!!

I Love it!!

#6 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,968 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:55 PM

I did not buy one for myself, but we did get a bunch for giveaway doorprizes.

#7 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,423 posts

Posted Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:04 PM

I couldn't justify the price. $45-$50 is all I've ever seen them at, while the Genesis portable could/can be had for $25-$30. I'd pay $20-$25 for the Atari portable, and then probably never play it. Same with the two Genesis units I ended up with... Really should sell one of them. Or both. :lol:

I'd be willing to trade one of my Genesis ultimate portables for the Atari version if someone was interested in that sort of deal. :grin:

#8 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,966 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Wed Jun 7, 2017 9:37 AM

Would you buy another in the future if they released another version?

There's no "if," fortunately. There will be an official announcement about that and many other products from AtGames some time on or before E3.

#9 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,503 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Wed Jun 7, 2017 1:20 PM

There's no "if," fortunately. There will be an official announcement about that and many other products from AtGames some time on or before E3.

Slap me thrice, Bill Loguidice! That's NEXT WEEK!!

#10 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,966 posts

Posted Wed Jun 7, 2017 1:34 PM

Slap me thrice, Bill Loguidice! That's NEXT WEEK!!

The press releases might even hit this Friday.

#11 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

River Patroller

• 4,996 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Wed Jun 7, 2017 1:48 PM

I got mine as a gift, so I didn't buy it, but I do have one

Same here :)

#12 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,890 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Wed Jun 7, 2017 6:01 PM

I picked one up with a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I would consider another one, if they increase the screen size.  I'd like to see a slightly larger screen and a controller port, so I could play the paddle games.  D pads just don't work with paddle games.

#13 Schizophretard ONLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 4,800 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 4:03 AM

No, it would serve no useful or enjoyable purpose for me. I don't like playing Atari games with D-pads but if I did I could just buy a bluetooth controller for a phone and put Stella on it. 

#14 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,472 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:27 PM

Yep. Although I've hardly played it since I bought it. I've already got too many other Atari playing options for it to really fit in anywhere.

#15 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,042 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:48 AM

I didn't buy one. I'm not interested in a dedicated emulator machine, and even in that case, I prefer playing the Atari on a TV while sitting on the couch and using an arcade style joystick. I have real hardware or Stella for that. The only flashback I would have been interested in was the 2/2+ which is also the only one that didn't have a PAL version for European market.

I do think the portable it's a good product, it's just that I'm not part of the target market it is made for.

I must add that prices here in Europe for all the flashbacks are much higher than in US (the portable goes for about 90 EUR, which are about 100$), so the impulse-buying factor is also unlikely to happen.

#16 tremoloman2006 OFFLINE  

tremoloman2006

Stargunner

• 1,764 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:47 AM

I like it... BUT... it doesn't have the option for playing games in Black & White for the ones that support it.

Due to the size of the display and color scheme, some games are hardly playable.  Bowling is one... without B&W I can't see the pins because they blend into the background.

#17 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,966 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 8:02 AM

I like it... BUT... it doesn't have the option for playing games in Black & White for the ones that support it.

Due to the size of the display and color scheme, some games are hardly playable.  Bowling is one... without B&W I can't see the pins because they blend into the background.

On the new version the black and white (TV TYPE) switch stays toggled. 

#18 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,966 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:48 AM

Here are all three press releases: http://armchairarcad...m/perspectives/

#19 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,491 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:08 PM

Nice! I hope that there will be a better distribution network in Canada this fall: I gave up on the portable earlier this year when I couldn't find it, anywhere, in stores.

#20 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,171 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:05 PM

"Atari Flashback® Portable Game Player returns in 2017 with an amazing selection of 70 built-in games, including the legendary BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment arcade hit, PAC-MAN. Other blockbuster games include Dig Dug, Pitfall!, and Frogger, and you can even add your own games with an optional SD card. A built-in, rechargeable battery means the on-the-go fun never ends. Games can be played on the portable’s built-in, high-resolution 2.8” display, or on a TV via optional cable."

Sounds good.  Can't wait to see Dig Dug and Pac-Man.   New creations (like Frogger) or the 2600 variant?

And no Star Raiders.  Pity.

#21 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 AM

"Atari Flashback® Portable Game Player returns in 2017 with an amazing selection of 70 built-in games, including the legendary BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment arcade hit, PAC-MAN. Other blockbuster games include Dig Dug, Pitfall!, and Frogger, and you can even add your own games with an optional SD card. A built-in, rechargeable battery means the on-the-go fun never ends. Games can be played on the portables built-in, high-resolution 2.8 display, or on a TV via optional cable."

Sounds good.  Can't wait to see Dig Dug and Pac-Man.   New creations (like Frogger) or the 2600 variant?

And no Star Raiders.  Pity.

Frogger is the same new port for the hardware and Pac-Man is a 4k Atari 2600 homebrew. The others are the originals.

#22 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 4,314 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 PM

Frogger is the same new port for the hardware and Pac-Man is a 4k Atari 2600 homebrew. The others are the originals.

Is there anything different about the hardware? I don't recall what the screen size or resolution was on last year's portable.

#23 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 PM

Is there anything different about the hardware? I don't recall what the screen size or resolution was on last year's portable.

Different exterior and 2.8 inch screen. UX and emulator tweaks. Nothing significant.

#24 mckafka99 OFFLINE  

mckafka99

Stargunner

• 1,038 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 PM

I dont know if it would ever be taken into consideration, but a 'Gold (?) Edition' portable with a larger screen size (4"-6") for us old farts whose eyesight is waning would be really sweet. I would easily pay more to have a larger portable screen

#25 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,966 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 AM

I dont know if it would ever be taken into consideration, but a 'Gold (?) Edition' portable with a larger screen size (4"-6") for us old farts whose eyesight is waning would be really sweet. I would easily pay more to have a larger portable screen

There is a possibility - just a possibility - that the portables will undergo a hardware revamp for 2018. Right now, though, it's just something under consideration.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users