IGNORED

2600 homebrew for showcasing on our website

DirtyHairy

As you may know, I am the developer of 6502.ts, a web-based VCS emulator (there's a thread for it here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/257388-6502ts-stellerator-a-new-web-based-vcs-emulator/). In professional life, I am working as a software developer for a german company called Mayflower GmbH (https://mayflower.de/) that specializes in web application development.

For some time now, we have been toying around with the idea to host and promote 6502.ts on a dedicated web page (vcs.mayflower.de or similar). The idea and reason is to show a sample of what can be done (and what we can do) with modern web technology in order to catch the interest of new developers (and, to a lesser degree, potential customers). On the page, we'd like to embed the emulator with a small selection of cartridges that can be played, together with a summary of the technology that is powering the emulator and, of course, a link back to our main page and to the jobs section.

To this end, we are looking for VCS developers who would be willing give us permission to use their homebrew on our web page. Needless to say, we'd include the copyright and some provided content on each of the games, together with a link to the AtariAge store (if applicable). Of course, you'd be able to review everything on there before we put the page online.

From the technical side, there shouldn't be any limits on what could be done. 6502.ts supports most cartridge types, including DPC+ and ARM, and the TIA core is the same that will be powering Stella 5.0. The emulator supports all recent versions of Chrome and Firefox; Safari and Edge are also reported to work (although there are some issues with IndexedDB in Safari that render cartridge management in Stellerator quirky). You can find the URL to a live build of Stellerator (the "normal" web frontend) in my signature.

I should emphasize that Mayflower has nothing to do with 6502.ts; the emulator is GPL and my private project, even though some small parts of it have been developed during slacktime. It has been created out of technical curiosity and fascination with th VCS; the project I am talking about here is just the product of talking about the emulator after hacking on it on a slacktime day. If you find this post and question inappropiate, don't flame and just tell me ;)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 5

As you may know, I am the developer of 6502.ts, a web-based VCS emulator (there's a thread for it here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/257388-6502ts-stellerator-a-new-web-based-vcs-emulator/). In professional life, I am working as a software developer for a german company called Mayflower GmbH (https://mayflower.de/) that specializes in web application development.

For some time now, we have been toying around with the idea to host and promote 6502.ts on a dedicated web page (vcs.mayflower.de or similar). The idea and reason is to show a sample of what can be done (and what we can do) with modern web technology in order to catch the interest of new developers (and, to a lesser degree, potential customers). On the page, we'd like to embed the emulator with a small selection of cartridges that can be played, together with a summary of the technology that is powering the emulator and, of course, a link back to our main page and to the jobs section.

To this end, we are looking for VCS developers who would be willing give us permission to use their homebrew on our web page. Needless to say, we'd include the copyright and some provided content on each of the games, together with a link to the AtariAge store (if applicable). Of course, you'd be able to review everything on there before we put the page online.

From the technical side, there shouldn't be any limits on what could be done. 6502.ts supports most cartridge types, including DPC+ and ARM, and the TIA core is the same that will be powering Stella 5.0. The emulator supports all recent versions of Chrome and Firefox; Safari and Edge are also reported to work (although there are some issues with IndexedDB in Safari that render cartridge management in Stellerator quirky). You can find the URL to a live build of Stellerator (the "normal" web frontend) in my signature.

I should emphasize that Mayflower has nothing to do with 6502.ts; the emulator is GPL and my private project, even though some small parts of it have been developed during slacktime. It has been created out of technical curiosity and fascination with th VCS; the project I am talking about here is just the product of talking about the emulator after hacking on it on a slacktime day. If you find this post and question inappropiate, don't flame and just tell me ;)

Very cool! :) imo Mayflower can best catch developer and customer interest by placing their kit side by side with the emu games to illustrate the diversity of what is possible; works better it the company has an interesting and complex web product to promote and not just services and cookie cutter apps.

I have setup something similar to help my company RelationalFramework highlight a web based IDE for SQL Server. I used a live Atari box design where the tiles launch the games; hope it inspires you with some ideas! :)

This is awesome you want to show off homebrew rather than illegal commercial ROMs. :thumbsup:

Thanks :) That's exactly the point: hosting commercial ROMs would be illegal, and we don't want to go that way. Besides, I think that the VCS homebrew scene is impresive and has made some relly amazing achievements that go far beyond what was done with the machine commercially. This way, we (Mayflower) can hopefully attract some talented new software developers (those are currently really hard to come by) AND provide a platform for showing how alive and utterly fascinating the VCS still is today.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2

I think hosting commercial ROM's from bitd is legal provided the rights holder gave permission or if the target system is defunct; I shared the rights for all of my games from the 80's many years ago :)

And KC's Dad Ed Averett approved of my VCS version - you may host that ROM (the green one and the pink one which is still monochrome but really PAL) for folks to enjoy, there's a lot of interesting history on Atari banishing KC from the consoles.

• Like 1

I think hosting commercial ROM's from bitd is legal provided the rights holder gave permission or if the target system is defunct; I shared the rights for all of my games from the 80's many years ago :)

This is not true.

And KC's Dad Ed Averett approved of my VCS version - you may host that ROM (the green one and the pink one which is still monochrome but really PAL) for folks to enjoy, there's a lot of interesting history on Atari banishing KC from the consoles.

I don't think there's any harm hosting your KC Munchkin remake, provided Supercharger ROMs can work.

Thanks alot! I think that your KC Munchkin is different enough from the original to avoid any legal issues ;)

This is not true.

I don't think there's any harm hosting your KC Munchkin remake, provided Supercharger ROMs can work.

They do :)

• Like 2

Probably quite a few commercial ROMs are not copyrighted anymore. Do we have any information here?

That's a very interesting question; I have wondered about the same thing. At least for Atari, I would assume that the copyright lies with whoever holds the remainders of Ataris intellectual property. However, it may well be that some of the more exotic manufacturers have no legal successor. However, I guess it would need a lawyer to answer that.

Requesting permission from the copyright holders would involve tracking down however currently holds the rights to the IP, and that's clearly out of scope for this project. Even if we could reach them, I don't think that individual programmers can legally grant permission to use their historic games --- I suppose that publishing usually involved transferring the copyright to the publisher (afaik, that's how things work in the US; in germany, copyright transfer is impossible, you grant exclusive permission of use instead).

As for the "defunct..." part, I am almost sure that this is wrong.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

Oh sweet. I watch a lot of episodes and didn't recognize the character. Simpsons did the whole "make your own avatar" thing too a while back IIRC.

:) I have been binge watching them over supper in the past, too. In order to put credit where it belongs, the generator I linked and used is not affiliated with Southpark Studios, but a third-party site. However, it seems that there is an official generator now, too --- that's the site I accidentially linked at first :-D

Edited by DirtyHairy

:) I have been binge watching them over supper in the past, too. In order to put credit where it belongs, the generator I linked and used is not affiliated with Southpark Studios, but a third-party site. However, it seems that there is an official generator now, too --- that's the site I accidentially linked at first :-D

I don't even know if the Simpsons Avatar generater is still online or not. I know they made it after the movie came out.

EDIT: Thank you, wayback machine! :grin:

post-33189-0-40557700-1497509867_thumb.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20120220120121/http://www.simpsonsmovie.com:80/main.html