Photo

Favorite Variations - Air-Sea Battle

5 replies to this topic

#1 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,006 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 9:34 AM

I frickin' love this cartridge. There's so much game on here, even if it's essentially padded with variations on a theme and "role reversal" variations (hey, it's a 1977 release, give it a break!). There really isn't any variation I don't like, but there are some I like more that others:

Game 6: Anti-Aircraft, vs. Computer, w/ Obstacles
Game 12: Torpedo, vs. Computer, w/ Obstacles
Game 21: Bomber, vs. Computer (alternately Game 15, which is essentially the same game except you control a ship; I just prefer aircraft. :) )
Game 27: Polaris vs. Bomber, vs. Computer, w/ Obstacles

Both Difficulty Switches set to A, simply because those fat rectangular shots look dumb and don't really give much advantage anyway. :P

With a second player, the games with steerable missiles make things pretty interesting, too.

#2 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Thu Jun 8, 2017 7:36 PM

We just played this on Memorial Day. I think the favorites were the Anti-aircraft and Torpedo versions.

#3 Trinity OFFLINE  

Trinity

Stargunner

• 1,652 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:47 PM

My favorite is the shooting gallary variation. :)  Game 14.

#4 troff ONLINE  

troff

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 PM

First off, I'm loving these Favorite Variations threads.

Secondly, Air Sea Battle was one of the first carts I had for my VCS.  I loved this game.  As I was an only child, I didn't always have a second player around, so personally, I remember Air Sea Battle more fondly than Combat.  There were single player variations, even if the opponent was only blindly shooting, so it was a lot more fun to practice when it was just me.  As much as I've been digging into the old games lately, this isn't one I had tried lately.  Per your suggestions, I tried games 6 and 12 and had a blast.  I'll try to play around some more and report back in.

#5 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• Topic Starter
  • 6,006 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:17 AM

First off, I'm loving these Favorite Variations threads.

Thank you! I thought it could be fun to shed a little more light on early titles that often get forgotten, or sometimes (*cough*Home Run) dismissed outright. Hopefully these threads encourage a few people to check these games out in a little more depth and (re?)discover a newfound appreciation for them. :)

Secondly, Air Sea Battle was one of the first carts I had for my VCS.  I loved this game.  As I was an only child, I didn't always have a second player around, so personally, I remember Air Sea Battle more fondly than Combat.  There were single player variations, even if the opponent was only blindly shooting, so it was a lot more fun to practice when it was just me.  As much as I've been digging into the old games lately, this isn't one I had tried lately.  Per your suggestions, I tried games 6 and 12 and had a blast.  I'll try to play around some more and report back in.

It's kind of funny today how we don't normally think of 1-player games as being a big deal, but I don't need to tell you that in the late '70s it was a very nice feature to have. :-D People remember and love Combat, and rightfully so, but I didn't get an Atari until 1999, by which time it was kind of tough rustling up an opponent willing to play with me--let alone a worthy opponent. :twisted: :-D The times I've actually been able to really play Combat--with other people--were a collective blast, but they are also few and far between. Air-Sea Battle, meanwhile, I could play by myself. Even if the AI was brain-dead, and would essentially never beat you, at least it was there.  :-D

I also like how Air-Sea Battle really reflects Atari's game design philosophy of the time: lots of game options, tweaks, and difficulty customization (for want of a better word). Street Racer was another really good one in that regard. Lots of game stuffed into a 2K ROM!

My favorite is the shooting gallary variation. :)  Game 14.

The shooting gallery games are a nice twist on the Anti-Aircraft game concept. I like that they sort of combine the gameplay of the Anti-Aircraft and Torpedo games. And those "clown faces" need to die. :-D :P

Edited by BassGuitari, Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 AM.

#6 mckafka99 OFFLINE  

mckafka99

Stargunner

• 1,027 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:03 AM

Is there hacked version of this available that switches the player1/player2 controller ports so that single player games would be playable on the AT games portable?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users