IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Completely uninterested. Sorry. For modern gaming I have a core-i7 with NVidia GTX1080, and a PS4 with VR headset. For my retro gaming I have every original Atari console made from touch me, through stunt cycle, through Jag + CD.

What, no HTC Vive in there? SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! (sorry, just finished a Game of Thrones marathon)

Like it or not. Believe it or not. The most compatible and usable modern-day solution for classic VCS gaming is Emulator Stella. Plays everything I ever threw at it, and more.

All other implementations, Flashbacks, 1 trick wonder FPGA projects, RetroN 77, kickstarter hybrid emulation projects, and more.. simply fall short. There's always something getting in the way that shoots those down, compatibility, availability, controller connectivity, video out capability, reliability.. Something.

And yet again, I rhetorically ask for sake of discussion (full well knowing the multiple answers myself), why can't they simply release a freshly made exact clone of the VCS? Switches, cartridge slot, real VCS circuitry. Same size, same layout, same 3 chips, same RF video out + 1 additional discrete connector on the back, HDMI. 1 change and nothing else more!

VCS was and is the most iconic representation of the original Atari. It's what the market wants. If I had the motivation to do so it is what I would design. Or recreate. Is there some sort magic voodoo in there they don't understand?

• Like 1

Hmm, so going from the render/picture, it looks like that (left to right) the ports on the back are USB, USB-C(?), USB, Power(?), Ethernet, USB, HDMI, USB, Micro SD card.

So that's 4xUSB ports, HDMI, ethernet, MicroSD and maybe power or maybe Wifi antennae? USB-C (if that's what it is) could be the power.

So for 'Modern' games, it'd have to have an internal hard drive, and no physical media, unless of course you'll be able to buy box copies with a microSD card in it (which is kind of brilliant actually, since you can get rather large ones these days, but then they still probably have too high of a failure rate for most people to be comfortable with. This means some sort of digital game store, which of course is what some rumors were pointing to anyhow. Guess they can make these cheaper, since they won't have to bother with a Bluray license, and some of the other things you get with a PS4/Xbox One.

Hello everybody,

I've followed the news since months ago. Now I'm happy to see at least the new console will bring internet access. So I guess the new ataribox console should have:

- An OS Linux

- Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse connection.

- Prebuilt with 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, XL, XE, ST, TT, Falcon and arcade emulators

- A new Store with classic titles for all the models. Every game ROM could be costly as cheap as $1 (old and homebrew games), protected to only be distributed on the store. No external ROM access to protect the business. Thousands of titles could be available since the first day,

- As Linux as the main OS, the store could support pre-approved Android titles that work fine with Ataribox.

- A Cheap price.

At least for me, that would be a success. And is possible at all.

Like it or not. Believe it or not. The most compatible and usable modern-day solution for classic VCS gaming is Emulator Stella. Plays everything I ever threw at it, and more.

All other implementations, Flashbacks, 1 trick wonder FPGA projects, RetroN 77, kickstarter hybrid emulation projects, and more.. simply fall short. There's always something getting in the way that shoots those down, compatibility, availability, controller connectivity, video out capability, reliability.. Something.

And yet again, I rhetorically ask for sake of discussion (full well knowing the multiple answers myself), why can't they simply release a freshly made exact clone of the VCS? Switches, cartridge slot, real VCS circuitry. Same size, same layout, same 3 chips, same RF video out + 1 additional discrete connector on the back, HDMI. 1 change and nothing else more!

VCS was and is the most iconic representation of the original Atari. It's what the market wants. If I had the motivation to do so it is what I would design. Or recreate. Is there some sort magic voodoo in there they don't understand?

Somewhere in this long thread (or maybe one of the other AtariBox or Retron77 threads) , in some linked interview on their strategy for the brand, it was mentioned that one of the things they had was a clone or copy (using hardware or emulation?) of the 2600, along with those wrist-bands, etc. The interview was from a couple years or so, ago and strategies change, so, eh.... I'm too old and lazy to look for it at the moment. I'll wander through, later and see if I spot it.

I thought that too. I know this is an Atari forum, so probably the wrong place to ask, but who would you really want to come back with hardware more, Atari or Sega? I actually went Atari, Atari, Sega, Sega, Atari, PC. (2600, 800XL, SMS, Genesis, MegaSTe, Generic beige box)

- A new Store with classic titles for all the models. Every game ROM could be costly as cheap as $1 (old and homebrew games), protected to only be distributed on the store. No external ROM access to protect the business. Thousands of titles could be available since the first day,

Now we all know this isn't going to happen. Sure they could skip an sd slot but it doesn't change the fact that any USB port and such can and will be used to exploit this. They are better off just focusing on selling this item and NOT worrying about selling 30 year old roms that will likely hit a very niche market.

I saw the SD as an extension Hard disk. A user signed ROM installed there, it can't be copied on other machines if you are not the same user. That's the principle of a secure store.
I believe it could be an interesting niche because Atari has several platforms, and even as someone noticed before, it could add compatibility for SEGA games (SMS. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamscast)

I'm sure most of the Atari fans, haven't get the chance to explore another Atari systems besides the main.

• Like 1

Living in a dream but I hope it has quadruple pokey in it.

Then when it is out of date, we have a new supply of Pokey chips!

Modern CPU could emulate dozens of Pokeys or even hundreds without breaking a sweat. Now I'd like to see a brand new console full of cockroach sized DIP chips. That would make my day! :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...well if it ever materializes or not, I doubt I'll be interested. I'm not interested in any console that I can't hold the games for it in my hand. Streaming sucks for longevity, if the streaming site goes under, no back-up any more for a bricked console to replace with another and re-download your games, etc. I used to use Xbox live game downloads with Gold all the time, but I've started buying used copies of the games as I am discovering many of the games will not function fully if I am not connected to Xbox live, etc. So I don't buy download-able games anymore except for the monthly Xbox Gold "freebies." And the days when consoles no longer have physical copies of games for sale is the day I stop buying new consoles and just stick with my classics.

Once Microsoft stops supporting my 360 on Xbox Live, many of the games will no longer function and be worthless. Just like some games I have for my Dreamcast and the old Seganet! From the looks of this "Ataribox," it's exactly the type of console I fear and loath. Consoles without physical games will be essentially "bricks" when the day comes that they are no longer supported. And in the meantime you are stuck paying monthly fees, which in reality, when it comes right down to the truth of it, no matter what "they" call it, you are merely leasing a system and when that stops, from you canceling, or they no longer supporting, you've got a nice door-stop.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2