Photo

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

205 replies to this topic

#201 shadowtek OFFLINE  

shadowtek

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 PM

Damn, you mean I'm going to have to buy a PSVR now?  I already have a Vive.. Polybius looks cool, but it looks more like a game than a VLM, right?

And actually Polybius is a secret government conspiracy for sure. ;)

#202 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,920 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:55 PM

Thing with the Nuon is it was another convergence experiment. In the 90's you had the Gateway Destination - an attempt to merge computing and television. Fail. You had webTV, another attempt to put the internet on the big screen. Fail. Now with the Nuon they tried to trick you by putting the computer part into the DVD player. Fail.

It is important to understand that internet/computing vs watching television are two fundamentally incompatible modes of entertainment. One is active and one is passive. Sure there may be a few crossovers like looking up something you just saw in a tv show. But fact remains they are separate experiences. And furthermore, you want to be lazy and not have to control the tv. Or be a part of the program - especially when you have limited outcomes based not on your choices, but that of someone else - so what'd be the point? You want no interactivity at all.

If there's something on tv and I want to know more about it, I will likely conduct a web search on a separate device. Not interrupting the show's progress and disturbing others' experience. Internet searches are a highly personal thing. No one likes watching someone google something..

#203 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• 352 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...S-/292156100148

Only $1 US ;)

There's another one listed for 120,=. Games seem to be around 15-30 bucks.

#204 mos6507 OFFLINE  

mos6507

River Patroller

• 4,903 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:59 PM

The Nuon concept actually is still around--sorta.  It's Smart TVs like in Samsungs and Blu-Ray players that have enough computing horsepower to run apps.

Apps that run on SmartTV tend not to be games, and control via remote is lame, but it's a similar idea nevertheless.

#205 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 543 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:48 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...S-/292156100148

Only $1 US ;)

There's another one listed for 120,=. Games seem to be around 15-30 bucks.

Still 2 days left for bidding I'm sure it will get more bids.

#206 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,370 posts

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 AM

Still 2 days left for bidding I'm sure it will get more bids.

Added to my watchlist. Not really interested, just curious to see if these are worth anything.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users