IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Thing with the Nuon is it was another convergence experiment. In the 90's you had the Gateway Destination - an attempt to merge computing and television. Fail. You had webTV, another attempt to put the internet on the big screen. Fail. Now with the Nuon they tried to trick you by putting the computer part into the DVD player. Fail.

It is important to understand that internet/computing vs watching television are two fundamentally incompatible modes of entertainment. One is active and one is passive. Sure there may be a few crossovers like looking up something you just saw in a tv show. But fact remains they are separate experiences. And furthermore, you want to be lazy and not have to control the tv. Or be a part of the program - especially when you have limited outcomes based not on your choices, but that of someone else - so what'd be the point? You want no interactivity at all.

If there's something on tv and I want to know more about it, I will likely conduct a web search on a separate device. Not interrupting the show's progress and disturbing others' experience. Internet searches are a highly personal thing. No one likes watching someone google something..

The Nuon concept actually is still around--sorta. It's Smart TVs like in Samsungs and Blu-Ray players that have enough computing horsepower to run apps.

Apps that run on SmartTV tend not to be games, and control via remote is lame, but it's a similar idea nevertheless.

• Like 1

This is off-topic, but Atari related.

Saturday's Click (short edition) mentioned an interesting company named '2 bit circus' (Search it) whose C.E.O. is Brent Bushnell. Is that Nolan's son? Kinda looks like Nolan.

I saw Pong and Asteroids in it.

Link (Use VPN if outside UK): http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08wyz9v/click-short-edition-24062017

I think it important that we remind each other, and newcomers, that the Atari of today is not the Atari which bought all the great games of the 80's to life. It is an IP holder, a shell company. They are not creating anything new, at least they haven't to date.

Let's pretend for a minute that the corporate entity that was the original Atari still existed. How likely is it that the original leadership and technology staff would still be in place as well? The fact is that there is very little difference between an "original" Atari or one that is that venerable name wielded by a different company. Both would and will have to be something altogether different than the organization that created the consoles and computers we know and love. The XL/XE series has little to nothing in common with the 2600. The ST line is altogether unrelated to the XL/XE line. Generations come and generations go. In each cycle, the people, processes, industry, and market are so different than the one which preceded it that any comparison between them is largely meaningless.

• Like 1

It was the reason I wanted a PS4

Weirdly enough that SOTB update was the reason I got a games job. I googled the studio, thought 'crap! they're just down the road from me... anyone else around here doing games?'

Next hit down on google was hiring, so I went along for an interview.

• Like 1

Could this be a pc solution (running some type of linux os) with something on top that runs games or something similar to valve (windows or linux maybe)...

Could this be? I'm having trouble thinking that they manufactured their own console (as a new console). Maybe I will be shown wrong.

Here's my impression of marketers vs. "Atari" fans *1:

OMG - OMG - OMG. Let me drop this f**king cool new bit of "news" about an awesome new product!

Dog-Pooping-1024x668.jpg

*1 - I believe "Atari Fan" to be someone born after 1995, who is a great fan of Justin Bieber and revisionist history. Their first game system was a PS2, or an XBox 360. They heard about this really cool "Once upon a time in a gaming galaxy far far away".

• Like 2

Could this be a pc solution (running some type of linux os) with something on top that runs games or something similar to valve (windows or linux maybe)...

Could this be? I'm having trouble thinking that they manufactured their own console (as a new console). Maybe I will be shown wrong.

Let me just say if these guys can't build a new console, then in my opinion they shouldn't call themselves Atari. Geeze look at all of what people do for free or next to nothing that are members of this forum, and you'll see my point. If they lack the technical talent, then they are nothing more than marketing poops (a little pun there on Stephen's post) and holders of the symbol.

- Michael

• Like 4

Saw this on Ataribox Facebook page last night. Info is slowly dribbling out.

This is not the way to tease a product. Either tell us what it is, or shut up until you have something ready to display. These daily teasers are getting me less and less interested with each passing day.

This isn't "information" .. just more marketing masturbation.

-Thom

Well Ataribox must getting very "sticky" by now with their incessant 24/7 fapping. Can I say that here??? :rolling:
  • Like 1

Let me just say if these guys can't build a new console, then in my opinion they shouldn't call themselves Atari. Geeze look at all of what people do for free or next to nothing that are members of this forum, and you'll see my point. If they lack the technical talent, then they are nothing more than marketing poops (a little pun there on Stephen's post) and holders of the symbol.

- Michael

There's worse poopooheads than Atari. That dog image could as easily be projected towards Coleco. :P

Dog-Pooping-1024x668.jpg

• Like 1

- Michael

Of course they could build a new console. They could easily contract it out like the 7800 or Jaguar, or buy an existing design like the Lynx. The challenge is the marketing. Who's the audience for an Atari console in 2017? Is there an emerging niche they can enter?

• Like 2