IGNORED

Ataribox

I'm still waiting for the StopDrop&Retro video...when everything has gone down MK-style!

Is Ataribox real life?

Is it Mike Kennedy?

Caught with no prototype

No hope of Kickstarting

Open your eyes

Look at their reveal and see

They're not a poor brand

They don't need crowdfunding

Because its easy to lie

Anything goes

Lots of mirrors

Lots of smoke

Everything their tease shows

Wasn't really convincing to meeee

Toooo meeeee

• Like 5

They could get this off the ground if they wanted. Two main advantages for doing a low risk crowdfund campaign if you already can secure funding yourself:

1) You get free viral marketing because news of the croudfund spreads like wildfire.

2) You get valuable feedback for how much public support exists for your concept. If the campaogn fails, then the product likely wouldn't have succeeded at retail anyway.

Disadvantages:

1) The public may lose faith in you as a company if you continue to crowdfund ideas. We will never see corporations like Apple, Google, Samsung, Amazon, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft doing this. The fact Atari is securing crowdfunding shows they lack faith in their product.

2) Fees. Flat 10% of your proceeds go directly to Kickstarter.

• Like 1

IMO, the crowdfunding is the biggest red flag. I expect a name like Atari to be able to find their own projects. And yes, I know it's not the same Atari as the old days, but they're using the name as if it were, so I'm setting my expectations as if it were. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 7

This seems a lot like the Ataribox concept, although more laser-focused on being an emulation box: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329525418/dreamcade-replay-one-console-to-rule-them-all?token=db604b98

This is what I like to see... these guys have their product together it seems. Look how fast they funded. This seems SO much more legitimate that the Ataribox drama. I hope we end up needing a thread for these guys. :)

MrBlackCat

This seems a lot like the Ataribox concept, although more laser-focused on being an emulation box: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329525418/dreamcade-replay-one-console-to-rule-them-all?token=db604b98

People really seem to like these little R-Pi repackagings. They're like mini flashbacks with unlimited expansion capability. And AtariAge is mentioned as a safe-search option. Whatever that means.

But they mention something about streaming? Games are played by streaming? Or game roms are "streamed" downloaded to the box and and then simply run through an emulator..?

"With our Retro Streaming Accelerator, streaming games is as simple as clicking a link. In fact, there's over 10,000 free games to stream on the Internet Archive alone--all of which play full-screen and full-speed, thanks to our exclusive streaming technology."

But most of all, this is full-size established company. Dream Arcades. Another company looking to transfer new product risk to you flunkies.

Edited by Keatah

Well...the Internet Archive does offer playable games on the web browser (though not as good as d/l the ROMs) so I'm assuming this Dreamcade uses this method as well.

Even better is something that automatically downloads the ROM (legal due to DCMA exception) along with the parent roms. There's already a Java program that does that called IA-MAME which also works with console & computer games MAME supports. So yeah I say this is very possible...

With that and Steam in-house streaming it sounds very interesting to me.

People really seem to like these little R-Pi repackagings. They're like mini flashbacks with unlimited expansion capability. And AtariAge is mentioned as a safe-search option. Whatever that means.

But they mention something about streaming? Games are played by streaming? Or game roms are "streamed" downloaded to the box and and then simply run through an emulator..?

"With our Retro Streaming Accelerator, streaming games is as simple as clicking a link. In fact, there's over 10,000 free games to stream on the Internet Archive alone--all of which play full-screen and full-speed, thanks to our exclusive streaming technology."

But most of all, this is full-size established company. Dream Arcades. Another company looking to transfer new product risk to you flunkies.

Except that in this case it's Intel based, running Win 10, so not a repackaging of RPi/Rpi-alike ...

a2e16f625ba82e05d3e787b492a89ae1_origina

Not that I care either way but let's get the facts straight. (given the specs can change maybe by the time they ship it may have morphed into yet another ARM based SBC running Linux/Android)

• Like 3

Except that in this case it's Intel based, running Win 10, so not a repackaging of RPi/Rpi-alike ...

a2e16f625ba82e05d3e787b492a89ae1_origina

Not that I care either way but let's get the facts straight. (given the specs can change maybe by the time they ship it may have morphed into yet another ARM based SBC running Linux/Android)

So it's basically got Windows 10 on it like a full desktop system, but with a gimped CPU. Does this version of Windows run desktop EXEs? This is gonna be way expensive. You could probably buy a laptop with better specs for your money. :roll:

So it's basically got Windows 10 on it like a full desktop system, but with a gimped CPU. Does this version of Windows run desktop EXEs? This is gonna be way expensive. You could probably buy a laptop with better specs for your money. :roll:

Just to avoid potential confusion: That graphic is from the Dreamcade Kickstarter that Bill posted earlier. Pledges for the console run $129-159.

It sure sounds like something like what people are hoping the Ataribox will be like though.

http://files.atari.com/corporate/2010_0419_ATARI_newboardmembers_19042010_EN.pdf

Atari today DOES Have something to do with the original Atari. They've had Bushnell on their team since 2010. He IS the original Atari!

That was seven years ago. Is it still true today?

No recent Atari-related tweets.

Not listed on his Linkedin.

Not listed on the board of directors. Granted, it may just be basically an honorary title.

• Like 1

With the shape Atari is in these days, I'll believe it when I see it. I figure this is going to be nothing but a crazy pipe dream that could never full reach the potential of what they are kinda hyping it to be. This console, or whatever it is seems like its going to be more expensive than your average Flashback, so I'm really not seeing the benefit to buying one.

If I'm getting burned by Nintendo, there's little chance this thing will turn out any better.

I want to like whatever this becomes. But I just can't get excited about it. Call me cynical, call me what you like. But I've been burned by bigger and better companies, and I just don't see them taking any percent of the market share.

That's the big ask ... are their training wheels and "curation" sufficient to get enough people on board? Judging from their crowdfunding results, I guess it is. It's a cute box and the price is negligible, but if you already have a PC, why would you need this? The offer of streaming games from Archive.org is pretty shocking ... anyone can do that right now with a $99 Chromebook, or the device they're using to read about the game box!

Side note, their model dad totally looks like Apple SVP Phil Schiller to me.

post-2410-0-70655400-1500907811.jpgpost-2410-0-70873300-1500907820.jpg

Regarding Nolan Bushnell,

That was seven years ago. Is it still true today?

No recent Atari-related tweets.

Not listed on his Linkedin.

Not listed on the board of directors. Granted, it may just be basically an honorary title.

You have to click way past the fold to see any mention of Atari on his LinkedIn CV. Maybe he's trying to distance himself from the accomplishments of so long ago and pitch himself as relevant in today's market. That would be the opposite of what Atari is doing in trying to make the old brand relevant again, with speaker hats.

post-2410-0-26351400-1500907993.png