IGNORED

Ataribox

All true. We were discussing the F-MAC interview in the "new console that AtariBox" thread. I should have counted use of "open" in my little content analysis.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/page-63?do=findComment&comment=3870641

It's a great example of spin over substance. A person can learn a lot about how to ask for money from the way the Atari guy talks.

Edit: he only says "open" 3 times. For a faster buzz, drink when he says "Atari" or "brand." That's all this is about, after all -- fluff up the brand to sell more licensed merchandise, or maybe pump up the stock before selling off the "company," which is really just a brand custodian now.

• Like 3

Since it's running Linux, being "open" is literally the least they could do, easy. Dare I say ... lazy.

The onerous testing requirements from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft (on the Xbox at least) are there to make sure all software on their platform meets at least a minimum standard for technical standards, compatibility, and value. Games on those platforms use the controls properly, scale the screen property, quit to the right menu, and don't crash. People who review even the old indie games on Xbox Live can focus on gameplay since the basics are already handled.

Keatah talked about the benefit of lowering "barriers" for developers. The flip side is that there won't be any support or audience, either. Everyone who purchased an OUYA counted as a "developer" because that system was open, too. Now it's a joke.

AtariBox won't get enough mindshare to even be a joke. No one will know what it is. In two years, if you say "AtariBox," most people think you're talking about the VCS.

• Like 1

Edit: he only says "open" 3 times. For a faster buzz, drink when he says "Atari" or "brand." That's all this is about, after all -- fluff up the brand to sell more licensed merchandise, or maybe pump up the stock before selling off the "company," which is really just a brand custodian now.

A drinking game? No wonder why they're called "buzz" words.... :grin:

• Like 1

Technically Xbox one and PS4 are modern midrange PCs so ataribox could easily be as powerful as those systems... but without a disk drive

Perhaps close to the power of the original models from 2013 in many ways, but I doubt as powerful as any of the updated models.

• Like 2

Or a controller.

Mac said in the Venture Beat interview that there will be controller / Peripheral options from Atari. Since it also runs Linux you should in theory be able to use a standard Controller as well.

Technically Xbox one and PS4 are modern midrange PCs so ataribox could easily be as powerful as those systems... but without a disk drive

This is true.

Mac said in the Venture Beat interview that there will be controller / Peripheral options from Atari. Since it also runs Linux you should in theory be able to use a standard Controller as well.

Yes, of course we will be able to get a controller that works for it. But if I'm going to pay $250 to $300 it better come with one, and better have the Atari logo on it(hopefully lit like the front of the Ataribox), and not be clearly a ripoff of another controller and it should be something that matches the design of the Ataribox so that it looks it was designed to go with it. And they can say whatever in an interview they haven't showed anything yet.

• Like 1

Decided to take the plunge and sign up for the wait list. Hope my email box doesn't get flooded with technical details, schematics, development information, advertising, pre-order offers, etc.

Just trying to decide if I should get find an electronics store and get in line now or if I can wait until after Thanksgiving. Don't want to miss my chance to purchase the Ataribox . :)

Decided to take the plunge and sign up for the wait list. Hope my email box doesn't get flooded with technical details, schematics, development information, advertising, pre-order offers, etc.

Just trying to decide if I should get find an electronics store and get in line now or if I can wait until after Thanksgiving. Don't want to miss my chance to purchase the Ataribox . :)

Probably just the advertising and pre-order offers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...