IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'm not really interested in playing games with it, but I think the AtariBox Joystick design is a good thing. As long as it is an optional controller, it will be a nice variation from all the other gamepads out there. This will also give them something (else) distinctive for their image.

I think all of us have had an experience when you show your collection to someone in their 40s or 50s. They see a CX-40 for the first time in 30 years, and they pretty much all have to go pick it up and hold it. It was smart to capitalize on that nostalgia.

I agree that this is a smart move and they'll need to do more things like this to move the needle. In fact, of all the things announced, they probably got the most positive buzz from the basic look of the console. This joystick thing is like their second real win. I would double-down on this strategy, particularly if other differentiators aren't really there.

As for the joystick itself, it will almost certainly be optional or something that's just included with a specific Indiegogo bundle, in addition to a standard modern-style controller.

• Like 4

I agree that this is a smart move and they'll need to do more things like this to move the needle. In fact, of all the things announced, they probably got the most positive buzz from the basic look of the console. This joystick thing is like their second real win. I would double-down on this strategy, particularly if other differentiators aren't really there.

As for the joystick itself, it will almost certainly be optional or something that's just included with a specific Indiegogo bundle, in addition to a standard modern-style controller.

I agree with you Bill. This definitely helps get people (re)interested in the Ataribox. But, they are going to have to do a lot more and show all of their cards at some point if they are going to have any shot of being successfully funded.

I like the joystick and think it has promise. However, they have to have some type of modern controller as (modern) gaming is not even in the same universe as the 2600 is, or at least the games.

• Like 1

I dig the new controller design, even if it doesn't look particularly ergonomically comfortable or easy to keep clean (you know sweat and grime is gonna build up in those side grooves). Still, it's an attractive and aesthetically pleasing modern take on the classic CX-40 design. With the LED lights around the edges I wonder if that shiny ring surrounding the joystick is a touch sensitive panel.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

I really like that joystick design. Classic but modern. Granted, it will be largely useless for anything post-2600 but it has potential. Slap a few more buttons on there and we are set.

Together with the nice console-design I'll admit they have an edge on looks at least.

Now on to the guts of the device please. In consoles as well as love you want both looks and brain to commit to a long term relationship and not just a one-night-stand.

Hory shet, this thread exploded. I hate taking vacations from AA.

Just seen the controller. Looks like it will be the hardest controller in the world to keep clean.

I can agree. The only thing I dislike about the original 2600's design is that it's a nightmare to clean. All those ridges collect dust within 2 weeks and your brand-spankin' new refurbished console looks old again.

• Like 1

I can see how some Indy devs might use this.

Still I think the primary method of controlling games on this system in the long run will be mouse and keyboard, for modern games like FPSs

That sucks for sitting in front of the TV. Mind you the best gamepad I have ever used for FPS is the Steam Controller. Can't stand the double stick controllers for FPS.

I think that's a great idea.

As long as any lights on the stick can be turned off, I'm fine with the idea. There are times where they could be a visual distraction, which would be considerably less than desirable.

That said, I'll also admit that I like the stick's design. Yes, more buttons would be more bueno, but could also be ergonomically-difficult to achieve outside of a gamepad format. The 7800 did it reasonably well, though, for a design where one hand is on the stick itself and the base is in the other hand.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

That sucks for sitting in front of the TV. Mind you the best gamepad I have ever used for FPS is the Steam Controller. Can't stand the double stick controllers for FPS.

But the ataribox doubles as a personal computer.... I like to think of it as ataris continuation of their home computer line, merged with their home console line...

And succeeding at neither..

On a different, but related, note.. I'm starting to see advertisements for Pre-Orders for indiegogo stuff. Advertisers are placing ads that say pre-order product-x, then direct you to indiegogo's project page for the item. Isn't "pre-order" a bit misleading? Is it any different than those flunkies who ordered the tesla 3 and are still waiting while they finish it?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1