IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Probably just something like the Ouya with Atari running their own eshop and making virtual console games with their own IPs. Doesn't really sound that impressive, but if it does well it could open the door to Atari publishing some retro-inspired games of their own, sort of like what Adult Swim has been doing.

I'm not sure I go for retro-inspired games. I'd rather just emulate the original as accurately as possible as opposed to a campy remake.

Ouya came and went. If Ataribox is another Ouya, it is basically DOA.

I still have my Ouya but I have no idea what to do with it anymore. The emulators were good but I use the homebrew channel on my Wii now which is better. I don't use it for streaming and there really aren't any must have games exclusive to it to warrant it's use. It will be relegated to a corner of the closet in my collection and at best a conversation piece in gaming history. I hope Atari has set their sights a little higher if not, you're right, this thing is doomed to fail.

• Like 2

This post still has me racking my brain. I've got nothing though. Hopefully this doesn't keep me up all night. >_<

Does it even play games? Neither the Atari CEO nor my dev response email used the word 'game'. You said not to expect a games console in the traditional sense, but can we even expect one at all?

It will play games of course. It's just a question of whether it will offer anything unique in terms of said games, or, in particular, services.

• Like 1

I've been thinking, Bill, by service, do you mean a gaming related service, like Steam? I think you've denied Steam specifically already though. Some people have said a subscription game streaming box, but you denied streaming too. Maybe it's still a subscription based gaming service though? Like, access to download any of the console's entire library for a periodic cost? Noone's tried that business model in video games before, I think.

The best thing about it would be killing the F2P model, I think.

This is probably a crazy idea, but it would be great if one of the value-adds/services was a system to actually teach and allow someone to write their own 2600 game. With all the coding-education toys out there now, it would be awesome if one could write games in assembly on this.

Also, I hope this Box product brings back, in some way, the Atari computers.

This is probably a crazy idea, but it would be great if one of the value-adds/services was a system to actually teach and allow someone to write their own 2600 game. With all the coding-education toys out there now, it would be awesome if one could write games in assembly on this.

Also, I hope this Box product brings back, in some way, the Atari computers.

It would never work. Kids these days too spoiled by mobile phones and instant gratification. There is nothing "instant" about programming a game.

So, let me ask this..

What is your top question for Atari and the company behind the device? Assuming they are listening and reading... they would be stupid not to right?

If I was to play one with no Atari branding on it and no knowledge that Atari had anything to do with it then would I still be able to guess that it has something to do with Atari?

• Like 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchwallace/2017/06/19/why-ataris-new-console-could-be-just-what-the-gaming-industry-needs/

Now this is an Ataribox opinion piece that I like. He says gamers could use more options. Hopefully when Ataribox outsells the iPhone, all the other old players will get back into the hardware game too. Just imagine a shiny new Intellivisionbox to go with your Game Developer Barbie. Awwww yeah.

• Like 1

Man, between this forum, two others, Facebook, twitter, reddit, and the comments sections of a dozen Ataribox articles, I've yet to find anyone besides myself who seems genuinely enthused for this. I mean, I know debuting with no information is a bad move, but they responded to my email inquiry pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just an unshakable optimist. The right combo of antidepressants will do that to you. :-)

I have seen interest at one of the gaming news sites I visit. Usually Atari/retro game articles gain little interest, so I was surprised to see an Ataribox article have quite a few comments from interested people.. even if they did have unrealistic expectations of it (that it would take on PS4/Xbox)

Chesnais said that Atari’s revival is well under way. Atari filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, but Chesnais bought it and pledged to make it great again. The company is now profitable, and it is engaged in making mobile games. It is licensing its brands more widely, such as licensing its Atari name for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.

So today's Atari is NOT the old Infogrames any more? I thought it still was. Man, it's so hard to keep up! :P

I've been thinking, Bill, by service, do you mean a gaming related service, like Steam? I think you've denied Steam specifically already though. Some people have said a subscription game streaming box, but you denied streaming too. Maybe it's still a subscription based gaming service though? Like, access to download any of the console's entire library for a periodic cost? Noone's tried that business model in video games before, I think.

The best thing about it would be killing the F2P model, I think.

I only denied it being a streaming service. I also stated that that thinking could have changed in the time I saw it. Considering the first-hand challenges I've seen (behind-the-scenes) with establishing a streaming service, I just don't think that's a practical option, though.

It's been dead and buried and dug up again so many times, it's perfectly understandable for you not to recognize the corpse bride that is Atari 2017.

So

1) Bushnell Atari

2) Warner Atari

3) Tramiel Atari

4) Atari Games

5) JTS Atari

6) Hasbro Atari

7) Infogrames Atari

8) Ataribox Atari

Did I miss any?

• Like 2