Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 PM

7ISv9u2.png

#3352 Raticon OFFLINE  

Raticon

Moonsweeper

• 427 posts
  • The ball in PONG

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:02 PM

Theyre asking us to buy a car before we even know its a car!

If someone bought the Oldsmobile brand from GM, resurrected it and staffed it with a bunch of sales and marketing people who then got a 3rd party designer to draw some cool sleek concept pictures of a modernized-but-with-70's-era vibes Custom Cruiser with wood panels and everything and pitched it to me, promising a modern V8 under the hood and "open" design so I could tune it and repair it all by myself I'd go "F××k yeah where so I sign!?"

Then OldsmobileCar want me to pay for it now so they can actually design it, make it, test it, get all the proper certifications and paperwork in order and maybe perhaps I will get it in 6 months I'd be more lukewarm to say the least. Especially if they price it like a '17 Taurus or Malibu which are cars that actually exist right now.

Of course this is a very silly comparison given that a car is a substantially larger investment compared to a games console and a lot more complicated to make, but the spirit and general feeling Ataribox and crowdfunding is giving me tells the same story.

A resurrected Oldsmobile would have some tremendous PR to catch up to as it's latest models before shutdown was very lacklustre and dull, and sold poorly given the competition that was frankly just better. This is Ataris situation now.

I'm all open to get an Ataribox when I see it before me and it does what I want a 300$ system to do and it won't catch fire. I'd be all over a new Oldsmobile if it does what a new car in whatever price range it is in should do, if it won't catch fire and most importantly, it existed.

#3353 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,709 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 PM

Not exactly the same thing.  When EA or Square or whoever releases screenshots and trailers, you know that it's coming from a reputable source and a game will eventually be delivered (and if it's not, you get your pre-order money back).  In this case everything so far has been a combination of incompetence and red flags (no details, nothing but mockups, etc).  And in a few days they are going to be asking for real money on a platform known for people taking the money and running.  How this instills confidence in anyone is beyond me

There's two issues here people are complaining about.   The marketing and the crowdfunding.   People are complaining marketing not giving out enough information.   To me it's obvious that they are saving it and timing the release--   The same way other 21st century marketing campaigns do.   It's gotten them attention from media sites that usually ignore Atari, so it's working.

Crowdfunding--   well that's always risky, so if you aren't comfortable don't put up the money then don't.   Many crowdfunding efforts fail, but some succeed and produce good things.   But that mirrors traditional investing as well.   Something like 95% of ventures funded by venture capital fail and the other 5% make enough profit to cover the all the failed ones.

Me personally?   I will not be crowdfunding ( I never do) , but if they release a decent product I'll buy it.    So I will wait and see.   I don't understand the rush to prejudge the effort.

#3354 The Historian OFFLINE  

The Historian

Dragonstomper

• 549 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 PM

Are you?  Or are you getting an empty taco shell for your pimping efforts?

I get nothing for my efforts except maybe a little line on my resume; it is purely voluntary.

And I do plan on backing them.

#3355 vcoleiro1 OFFLINE  

vcoleiro1

Chopper Commander

• 202 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 PM

I'm totally confused. What starts on Dec 14th? - is it the Indiegogo campaign or their own pre-order page?

If it's their own pre-order page, then when does the Indiegogo start?

Edited by vcoleiro1, Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 PM.

#3356 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 PM

Anyone else notice that "Ataribox discount" is an anagram for "Taco bait, round six"?   Are there hidden messages in that announcement?

So Taco Attack confirmed!  Reach round 6 and you unlock the Shatner mode! 

#3357 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,411 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 PM

ATARIBOX FULL SPECS

this space intentionally left blank

#3358 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,993 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 PM

and it won't catch fire.

Well, it is going to be made in China, no doubt about it.  Then again, do they even make tacos in China?

#3359 The Historian OFFLINE  

The Historian

Dragonstomper

• 549 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 PM

I'm totally confused. What starts on Dec 14th? - is it the Indiegogo campaign or their own pre-order page?

If it's their own pre-order page, then when does the Indiegogo start?

Indiegogo same thing as pre-order.

#3360 TheVgaTv OFFLINE  

TheVgaTv

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 PM

No, no it isn't.  Right now it's vaporware with no games.  Pre-Order implies that there is a product there.  Right now there are some CGI renders of a box shaped object with an Atari Logo

#3361 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

I get nothing for my efforts except maybe a little line on my resume; it is purely voluntary.

And I do plan on backing them.

2017 - Pimped AtariBox, ate some Tacos

#3362 vcoleiro1 OFFLINE  

vcoleiro1

Chopper Commander

• 202 posts

Thats a terrible way of communicating that.  You should tell them that it's confusing. 

#3363 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 PM

No, no it isn't.  Right now it's vaporware with no games.  Pre-Order implies that there is a product there.  Right now there are some CGI renders of a box shaped object with an Atari Logo

Sort of?  Pre-Order doesn't really mean much of anything.  In fact I think Pre-orders are scummy.  "If you pre-order, we'll give you some bonus whatever item that is only available if you pre-order!' but then they usually patch it in anyhow so anyone can have it...

But I agree, Crowdfunding and Pre-Order is not the same thing.  A Pre-Order is a plan for something to be released on a specific date, you're just pre-paying so you can have it on release day.  That definitely isn't the same as Crowd Funding, which a lot of times is 'here is what we'd like to do... we need XXX money to do it... Give us money and we'll TRY to do that thing...' 

Well, it does IMPLY it as you state.  I really never will understand pre-ordering video games unless there is a big discount.  Because there isn't anything physical about them and you're not going to fail to get one if you don't pre-order it.  A physical thing like the AtariBox on the other hand could be one of those "we're only initially making 10k of them, so if you don't pre-order, you'll have to wait!"  I wonder now if the AtariBox will outsell the JagCD, which I guess technically is their last console.  I mean while it depends on the Jaguar being there, the CD was their latest 'platform'. 

#3364 TheVgaTv OFFLINE  

TheVgaTv

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 PM

Sort of?  Pre-Order doesn't really mean much of anything.  In fact I think Pre-orders are scummy.  "If you pre-order, we'll give you some bonus whatever item that is only available if you pre-order!' but then they usually patch it in anyhow so anyone can have it...

But I agree, Crowdfunding and Pre-Order is not the same thing.  A Pre-Order is a plan for something to be released on a specific date, you're just pre-paying so you can have it on release day.  That definitely isn't the same as Crowd Funding, which a lot of times is 'here is what we'd like to do... we need XXX money to do it... Give us money and we'll TRY to do that thing...' 

Well, it does IMPLY it as you state.  I really never will understand pre-ordering video games unless there is a big discount.  Because there isn't anything physical about them and you're not going to fail to get one if you don't pre-order it.  A physical thing like the AtariBox on the other hand could be one of those "we're only initially making 10k of them, so if you don't pre-order, you'll have to wait!"  I wonder now if the AtariBox will outsell the JagCD, which I guess technically is their last console.  I mean while it depends on the Jaguar being there, the CD was their latest 'platform'. 

Here's the HUGE difference. If you pre-order a game through Amazon or Gamestop or wherever, if the game isn't released then you get your money back.  Indiegogo doesn't have any sort of protection.  The other poster saying that indiegogo is just like pre-ordering set me off, because that just simply isn't reality.

#3365 godslabrat ONLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,610 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 PM

Marketing these days seems to "drip drip" information rather than releasing it all at once.   I suppose the idea is to keep it in the news and keep people interested.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this, and assume a project is DOA if they don't get all the info they want at once.

This wasnt a drip drip. This was a graphic designer hocking a loogie off the balcony and then some Tacoheads coming around with their hands out a year later.

#3366 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,993 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 PM

Tacoheads coming around with their hands out a year later.

1The-Taco-Heads-ladies-were-busy-all-nig

#3367 JBerel ONLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,624 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 PM

preordernow1.jpg?w=600&h=400&zoom=2

1357412154331.jpg

#3368 Nathan Strum ONLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,433 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 PM

Anyone else notice that "Ataribox discount" is an anagram for "Taco bait, round six"?   Are there hidden messages in that announcement?

I want to like that post so many more times than just once.

Personally, I'm very interested in seeing what Atari announces on Thursday.

Mainly because I'm just seven episodes away from hitting 300, and this might just be the thing that pushes me over the top! Go Atari!

Edited by Nathan Strum, Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 PM.

#3369 Max Ivi OFFLINE  

Max Ivi

Star Raider

• 96 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 PM

Are you actually going to "pre-order"?

of course I'm going to "pre-order"

I said that this week we would be more

Thursday will be a big day in my opinion

it will shut up more than one

#3370 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 PM

In other news, Fallout 4 VR is being released tomorrow. Between that and Elite: Dangerous and SainT's SD cartridge for the Jaguar, would I even have time to play AtariBox?

#3371 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,993 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 PM

of course I'm going to "pre-order"

I said that this week we would be more

Thursday will be a big day in my opinion

it will shut up more than one

2 ?

#3372 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 19,071 posts
  • So Below

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 PM

So what is being pre-ordered? Do they even know what they are selling? Still smells like a pile of hot garbage with zero details or any tangible product.

#3373 The Mr. Video ONLINE  

The Mr. Video

Moonsweeper

• 330 posts
  • "For one player onry"

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 PM

Had to catch up on this thread a bit. I honestly think I read this thread less because barely any updates on the Ataribox come up, I'm not even sure what the thing does.

#3374 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,993 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 PM

Had to catch up on this thread a bit. I honestly think I read this thread less because barely any updates on the Ataribox come up, I'm not even sure what the thing does.

It is in your avatar!

#3375 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,460 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 PM

Got this in my inbox today. Sorry if it's already been posted, not really following this massive thread anymore...

512c3c8b-72f8-48de-9716-f02dac1f837e.jpg

Let the Games Begin

You'll be the first to know before pre-orders go live.
Our team would like to offer our earliest supporters a chance to grab Ataribox at an exclusive discount, so keep an eye on that inbox.

These deals will be extremely limited. We'll tell you everything you need to know to get the best deal soon.
Excited for Ataribox? Tell us about it on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

cb3c9f0c-5ec3-4e20-91e9-306976f856ba.png
Copyright © 2017 Atari, Inc.,, All rights reserved.

3 user(s) are browsing this forum

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users