IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I will be honest here. IF they did release a new video game console, I would probably buy it. Even if it turns out to be a flop, someone will hack it to run Linux/SteamOS anyhow. A console lives or dies on it's software library, but maybe they could make an emulation station and then license other IP to release legal roms for it. Look at all the various Genesis and Atari collections that already do that. It isn't just the NES/SNES classic that is selling like crazy, but all of these emulators in a bundle are too. Unless they plan on mame+Gauntlet Dark Legacy support, it wouldn't even take that much hardware.

(FWIW, Gauntlet Dark Legacy was the hardest game to throw hardware at for it to finally run at the right framerate and no sound drops, my i7-6700k was the first system I had that can finally do that!)

I will be honest here. IF they did release a new video game console, I would probably buy it.

So would I. It's pretty telling, though, that "Ataribox" is grouped with some type of audio device in its upcoming "hardware" dev plans. If Atari was really releasing a new game console -- which is huge news -- I can't imagine that it would be an also-ran in a publicly-traded company's prospectus. I therefore doubt that "Ataribox" is going there right now.

The financials also show that Atari's still in poor (and I'm being generous here) financial shape. I can't see how they could muster the resources required to launch any gaming system.

my personal ridiculous dream is that it actually is a game console, costs no more than 80$ and has open development with moderate standards in the attempt to forge its own identity. if it ran arm linux then hobbyists could still make games for it but they would need to be more deliberate than just pressing a different export button, and if it came with a controller that was just 6 buttons and a dpad then it would encourage development of things the average person might imagine when they think of an atari game.

though that might be a dumb idea i dunno :<

Edited by RainbowCemetery
  • Like 2

Okay, here's something for all of you dreamers: if you go on to Atari's website, you can read their future company strategy (in French). Of note: the Ataribox is called the "Atari Gamebox Project" under the heading "licensed products". FWIW, it's a multipronged approach to getting the ol' Atari brand name out there along with branded board games, fidget spinners, "Pong Tables" (WTF?), handheld arcade units, heritage software collections, and licensed wearables. And it appears that they paid WB $$$ for product placement in Blade Runner 2049.

I'm calling out all the people who said that nothing good ever came out of Atari after the Tramiel era. You couldn't be any more wrong.

post-27032-0-13592800-1498681998.jpg

These games were genuinely good.

You know what? I'm going to give the Atari Box the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to hope for the best. Good things can still happen in life, and once you stop believing that you become THIS GUY. Nobody wants to be that guy.

Besides, the best thing that has come out of the Atari Box announcement is that the Atari community finally has it's own Wojak / Feels Guy.

post-27032-0-03119000-1498683642.jpg

Can you dig it?

• Like 3

The Arm/Linux box is too tempting for developers to take any kind of risk on being creative with their own chipset. Arm/Linux can become any chipset the developer needs by way of emulation. And they're everywhere for a dime-a-dozen.

FPGA may offer some superior characteristics, and even be considered superior all around.. But it's the Betamax vs VHS war. The lesser tech won out because of pervasiveness and marketing. Arm/Linux won.

Pretty much for certain it has nothing to do with the original VCS. Because if it did, it would would be easily definable and they'd be talking about it. No need for hype on such a system. And there's only so much hype a simple 3-chip console can generate anyways.

Internet of Things market is already overcrowded with bullshit items. We don't need anything more in that category. Shit. We don't need anything AT ALL in that category. Same thing with streaming set-top boxes. There's like a billion of them out there and we don't need more.

Whatever it is it is unlikely to satisfy the vast intellect that is me.

The more and more I read into this, you are exactly right. I have zero interest in this "Ataribox."

IOT are spying bullshit devices which consumers willingly allow into the privacy of their homes, much to the explicit warnings of such a future as presented in George Orwell's 1984. Anyone thiking of remote connecting their homes should give this book a read. It was the one novel that I am actually glad my "evil" English Teacher from Junior/Senior highschool forced me to read.

• Like 5

I think "connectedness" is being viewed by the tech industry as something cool. Like HD and blue LEDs and 3D and whatever else. This connectedness makes for easy "look what you can do" advertising statements and selling points.

People need to realize that in tech just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Something all too easily forgotten when wandering around a department store or cruising amazon.

• Like 3

Might cut down on a lot of extraneous bullshit.

Connectedness is fine if used for practical purposes. But it is abused by the tech industry at large.

I would consider practical purposes any devices that you may want to communicate with and/or remotely control. In other words, I view the Internet as being the replacement for things that were once done with radio waves.

I'm calling out all the people who said that nothing good ever came out of Atari after the Tramiel era. You couldn't be any more wrong.

attachicon.gifAtari Games.jpg

These games were genuinely good.

And let us not forget some excellent shooters:

QyuubFv.jpgmQxkT7P.jpg

Ikaruga is widely thought of as one of the greatest shmups of all time and Centipede: Infestation is (in my opinion at least) the reason to buy a Classic Controller if you own a Wii. Modern twin stick shooting at it's finest! The current Atari also published some great anime themed fighting games based on the Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho series, so they've put out enough good stuff in recent years that I've got hope for the Ataribox as well. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

If you are wanting to do it remotely then I would agree. Or if you are wanting to use a switch you could still replace the wire with WiFi.

In it's most elegant form, a toggle switch cuts power to an otherwise always on device. The lighting system, for instance, consists of three basic parts: the supply, the switch, and the load. Oh yeah, and wires... If I want to control it remotely, I'll use a yard stick! :P

In it's most elegant form, a toggle switch cuts power to an otherwise always on device. The lighting system, for instance, consists of three basic parts: the supply, the switch, and the load. Oh yeah, and wires... If I want to control it remotely, I'll use a yard stick! icon_razz.gif

And what do you do if you want to move the switch? I think it could be convenient to be able to move a switch or even add extra switches without having to rewire anything. I also think with less wires it lowers the chances of fire or electrical shock. Do you change the channels on your TV with a yardstick or do you see the value and convenience of using a remote?

What if Ataribox is like Alexa and Ring and what not. Using voice commands wouldn't you like to say "Hey Atari find me a cool game to play." "Bonk bonk bonk bonk"

Im' in! :D

It's really going to depend on the tech they use. I do use the voice commands on my XBox One to navigate and start games.

No matter what the Ataribox actually turns out to be, I think that technology these days is truly a double edged sword...On one hand you have convenience, information, and a way to keep up with friends and family,...On the other hand, you have data mining, targeted ads, and in worse case scenarios, identity theft or employers using "private" information against you...

• Like 2