IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I always wanted a fork with serrated edges on the outer tongs so I can cut my steak and eat it with one utensil. Probably a lawsuit nightmare for the inventor but I'd love to own one. How many people try to cut their meat with a fork before reaching for the knife? What if you didn't have to swap utensils?

Just eat with a scalpel. It cuts and stabs.

• Like 1

Let's play a new game; If you could take one piece of current tech back in time to the mid-70s to give to Nolan Bushnell, what would it be?

The Spork. It's a spoon. It's a folk. It's a Spork!

And it's from 1874! So Nolan had probably seen one before, especially if he ever ate KFC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

So what? Biff typed in an 8 instead of a 9 but it was still the mid-70s and, most importantly, he proved that time travel is possible! Besides, Biff sending the Spork back 100 years too far may have caused the chain of events that lead to Nolan's birth. Thanks, Biff. icon_thumbsup.gif

I don't know what AtariBox is, but I sure want to port Super Vektoroids to it! I actually met the COO of Atari at Steam Dev Days. I was just walking down the street and I saw these two corporate looking guys, so I asked them how they are liking the show, and would they watch my game trailer, saying the game is like a cross between Space Duel and Asteroids in VR, and the one guy just chuckled and said, I'm the COO of Atari! Was a very cool moment. I'm excited to see what Atari has up their sleeve.

AtariVR http://imgur.com/gallery/ahjAAKd

Intellivision VR Poster: http://imgur.com/nMlv96J

Coleco VR Poster: http://imgur.com/jsQS20R

"Super Vektoroids" trailer (some of you may appreciate!)

Glad to join this community!

At least he didn't say "I'm COO of Atari, and you'll be hearing from our lawyers" :P

• Like 1

I seriously doubt "Atari" will attempt game streaming. Where are people even getting that idea? Sony has that niche sewn up with Playstation Now. Seems to me that anyone with the bandwidth to run such a thing can just buy the games instead. That's certainly the case with me. Nvidia streaming is totally playable, but that stuff is cheaper as more practical to buy and own.

Well there's always room for more players, especially if you are looking to stream something other then PS3 games.

-But on the other hand- PS Now isn't exactly setting the world on fire. It's niche and there's a lot of resistance to the concept.

Well there's always room for more players, especially if you are looking to stream something other then PS3 games.

-But on the other hand- PS Now isn't exactly setting the world on fire. It's niche and there's a lot of resistance to the concept.

There are more than you might think, here's a list. I find it somewhat telling that the only ones most people have heard of, OnLive and Gaikai, were folded into Sony and became Playstation Now a few years ago.

I've tried GeForce Now (formerly Nvidia Grid), and it worked OK. Its main problem is that the game selection was the same old stuff that Playstation Plus gave away for free, and OnLive and Humble Bundle sold for 90% off. I've also tried LiquidSky, but couldn't get it to install the MMO I wanted to play. I found that building a PC was easier performed better. I'm into the idea of cloud gaming, and don't mind not "owning" a box, but the rest of the market has to be there for it to be a viable business model. You couldn't have asked for a better on-ramp than OnLive had a few years ago: lots of sales, free trials, mobile app support, and a free "micro console" with a fairly decent controller. There's no way "Atari" would even attempt that, and they'd be crazy to try.

A year-long subscription to Playstation Now is only $100, but I think anyone who has the requisite bandwidth and interest in games probably has the resources to buy their own stuff.

Whether or not game streaming is a good idea, I still don't know where people got the notion that it could be cloud gaming, especially since they haven't shown anything other than box-shaped renders and have said nothing of specifications or purpose.

• Like 1

There are more than you might think, here's a list. I find it somewhat telling that the only ones most people have heard of, OnLive and Gaikai, were folded into Sony and became Playstation Now a few years ago.

I've tried GeForce Now (formerly Nvidia Grid), and it worked OK. Its main problem is that the game selection was the same old stuff that Playstation Plus gave away for free, and OnLive and Humble Bundle sold for 90% off. I've also tried LiquidSky, but couldn't get it to install the MMO I wanted to play. I found that building a PC was easier performed better. I'm into the idea of cloud gaming, and don't mind not "owning" a box, but the rest of the market has to be there for it to be a viable business model. You couldn't have asked for a better on-ramp than OnLive had a few years ago: lots of sales, free trials, mobile app support, and a free "micro console" with a fairly decent controller. There's no way "Atari" would even attempt that, and they'd be crazy to try.

A year-long subscription to Playstation Now is only $100, but I think anyone who has the requisite bandwidth and interest in games probably has the resources to buy their own stuff.

Whether or not game streaming is a good idea, I still don't know where people got the notion that it could be cloud gaming, especially since they haven't shown anything other than box-shaped renders and have said nothing of specifications or purpose.

PS Now also has a lot of those PS+ freebies as well. And now that they've added PS4 games, the PS4 games tend to be re-masters of PS3 games, lol. I feel like Sony is holding back too much if they really want the service to be successful, or maybe publishers just won't license certain games to them for streaming? Wasn't the $100/year just a special offer they run every so often?

Probably a little of each. I'm sure licensing is holding back the other cloud services. Square Enix and THQ seem to be willing to license to everyone. You'd think I'd be playing Saints Row or Darksiders by now, considering all the free copies I've been given.

i remember the $100/year deal being limited before. I don't know if it's going up soon, but that seems like the right price to me. It's on right now if you want to jump in.

I have a fast network connection and a hundred bucks, but I lack time to dig into this stuff, especially when I have a hefty catalog of games I liked enough to pay for.

Probably a little of each. I'm sure licensing is holding back the other cloud services. Square Enix and THQ seem to be willing to license to everyone. You'd think I'd be playing Saints Row or Darksiders by now, considering all the free copies I've been given.

i remember the $100/year deal being limited before. I don't know if it's going up soon, but that seems like the right price to me. It's on right now if you want to jump in.

I have a fast network connection and a hundred bucks, but I lack time to dig into this stuff, especially when I have a hefty catalog of games I liked enough to pay for.

It's tempting at that price, but ultimately I have enough games on my PS4 and PC, I don't really have time or a need for PS Now. Now if they added games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (I), I might subscribe.

It's tempting at that price, but ultimately I have enough games on my PS4 and PC, I don't really have time or a need for PS Now. Now if they added games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (I), I might subscribe.

I know I say I don't like discs, but spending $20 to play a 100-hour game seems smarter than paying $100/year to stream it!

There are four simultaneous Ataribox threads going right now. Three of them should have been locked or merged months ago...

But just think how valuable all of those threads will be when the popularity of the AtariBox explodes and people are just clamoring to post about it!!

Yeah... probably should merge them.

Half a thread would probably do.

• Like 5

Atari Chameleon is still available

Tengen Tank. From the lesser known Alt Atari that brought unlicensed games to the NES. That name sounds badass.

Acc-Nintendo-NES-Tengen-2__23414.1394693

Now for a piece of trivia:

Tengen and Atari both originated as terms from Go! board game rules. It used black and white Othello like stones and is the "Chess" of the far East. Someday I would like to learn how to play.