IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

You forgot the REAL WOOD. Don't you know they're making this console using REAL WOOD?! Somebody had to stain and varnish that long popsickle stick and glue it to the front of the case, not to mention cutting out the Atari logo and the LED indicator holes with their little pen knife.

Maybe it'll be engraved with a handy map to the Netflix.

• Like 3

Maybe it'll be engraved with a handy map to the Netflix.

It'd probably look a lot like that weird setup diagram on top of the Sega Master System.

I'm not sure they want to just give away that kind of sensitive information, though. Netflix is apparently so hard to figure out that millions of moms need a whole new device just to be able to access it (or so the people behind "That Ataribox?" seem to think).

• Like 4

I don't know if your're familiar with the Kinder eggs...

...It is starting to look like the Atari VCS is a digital Kinder egg, in particular the surprise part as we don't know what will be inside or what content it will offer.

This Kinder Egg commercial tells us everything we know about that atarivcsbox

• Like 3

You forgot the REAL WOOD. Don't you know they're making this console using REAL WOOD?! Somebody has to stain and varnish that long popsicle stick and glue it to the front of the case, not to mention cutting out the Atari logo and the LED indicator holes with their little pen knife.

post-18158-0-90544400-1521872752_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

He gave an example explaining that they want moms to be able to turn on the VCS and easily find Netflix,

Wait, what? Watch a Netflix movie using a joystick!?!?!?

Might be cool for streaming Stranger Things, but really??

but they also want to attract a younger audience that might only know of Atari’s veteran reputation.

As in millennial gamers who say, "Atari ruined the games industry, all Hail Mighty Nintendo!" Yeah that'll work out well...

Seriously, as interesting as an "all pupose Home Theather PC" concept is...I don't think anyone at Faux-tari knows what the hell it does to justify it's purpose to anyone.

Especially when they've got no money to build the bloody things!

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 3

Seems my opinion is in line with PC World.

Love the design of the system. Love the design of the modern controller. Love the design of the classic pad. If I could buy all three (a shell, and two working pads) I'd pay good money for them, if for anything than to use for emulation and just to stare at... wondering what could have been.

But yeah, as far as games and price and ... anything that actually matters. I don't have a bloody clue.

It honestly makes me very sad that some poor, poor, poor talented bastard out there who's a member of my profession will forever have his name on this project. Because the work that he/she did on the system and controller designs overshadow anything "Atari" themselves are doing in regards to planning out an actual system.

I wish that product designer all the best, and I hope someone at Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo figures out who this designer is, calls them up, and offers them a job.

Past that, can Atariage buy the bloody system/controller shells like we did for the Jag shells, and put this to bed? I'll wire up my own LEDs and put a system on a chip inside, myself.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 5

Well, I nailed it early on when I said it would be an A-series APU ... not that hard to guess since Atari could never afford to go the same route as Microsoft and Sony. The A10 isn't a bad choice either in terms of raw CPU horsepower. I would guess it's certainly on a par with the CPU in the original Xbox One. The problem is the R7. It's shit.

When the new Atari goes bankrupt, I say we have an AtariAge fundraiser to allow Albert to buy up the assets and turn this place into the real Atari.

Hear, hear! Let's make that happen!

I, for one, am disappointed that Atariboxcorp, Inc. hasn't played to its French roots and announced a retro-styled Minitel terminal.

We had one in the late '80s / early '90s. Clever idea for the time, but I'd like a modern version so much better if it could also do Netflix. Getting to Netflix is just so difficult on any of the 27 other devices we have that can handle it, but I'm sure that this is a problem that Atariboxcorp, Inc. is uniquely positioned in the market to solve.

• Like 3

So, who's next?

We had Coleco. Now there's Atari.

Intellivision, you bored and want to join the fun? Seriously, we're running out of consoles from the era. Sooner or later, they're going to have to announce the brand new Vectrex Vaporware System, the VVS!

They're not zombie brands, but: Magnavox Odyssey? TI-99/4a?

• Like 2

They're not zombie brands, but: Magnavox Odyssey? TI-99/4a?

I've seen some really good hobbyist 'tiny 4As', but not really any SOAC ones that weren't PI-related.

hmmm- whichever holding company could call it the '99er' and have it play Parsec AND Netflix. ;)