IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Dude, if the NES classic can sell that many no way this thing cant. Plus an ATARI VCS can play NES games better than a NES classic can! You can install ANYTHING YOU WANT on it. They can capture the casual 50 year old parents with kids who have nostalgia for Atari, and 12 year old hipsters will also want it. But since its immediately hackable, the hobbiest/raspberry

pi/Linux people will probably buy them too. Its a console, or its a desktop personal computer. I think itll do well.

You certainly raise a good point: the Ataribox will definitely have broad appeal to the demographic that was -29 years old at the time of the original's launch.

It's easy to understand how someone born a decade after the demise of Atari would have such a strong connection with the 2600, and would be in the market for a nostalgia-based console ahead of one that might have existed in their lifetime. And with the nearly unlimited disposable income that the average 12-year-old hipster has, only the sky can be the limit!

Buy your Atariboxcorp, Inc. stocks now. NOW!

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

Usually things that are over-hyped suck. But since virtually everyone is talking shit about Atari VCS, it obviously is going to be AWESOME.

And yeah, people born after the heyday of Atari hardware will probably be at least curious about it, in my opinion.

Edited by AlecRob

I think you should be a super backer! Also, make sure to post in their comment section often, as you learn at a glacial pace how you may have, probably, almost definitely, obviously, lost your money. Then check back here so we can all mercilessly taunt you and tell you we told you so, and that you have no excuse for being so dumb in the first place. You'll receive no pity or courtesy of restraint as the game band backers are getting now. Just sayin.

For the record, be sure to note the date and time of this post.

• Like 6

Dude, if the NES classic can sell that many no way this thing cant. Plus an ATARI VCS can play NES games better than a NES classic can! You can install ANYTHING YOU WANT on it. They can capture the casual 50 year old parents with kids who have nostalgia for Atari, and 12 year old hipsters will also want it. But since its immediately hackable, the hobbiest/raspberry

pi/Linux people will probably buy them too. Its a console, or its a desktop personal computer. I think itll do well.

Plus it also washes dishes, vacuums, and cures all sorts of ailments.

But since its immediately hackable, the hobbiest/raspberry

pi/Linux people will probably buy them too.

No, they'll just buy a Raspberry Pi (Or more then likely, they already own one of them, or seven)

Edited by Pink
  • Like 6

Don't forget the entire sector of the populace who will purchase something just because it looks cool.

*raises hand*

Atari Fuji Logo=/=Apple logo

Not. Even. Close.

• Like 3

"ignoring everything else, the amount of money i'm willing to flush down the toilet on some novelty product caps at ~$150"

I'm starting to think they should make it an empty box with a system-on-a-chip in each cartridge. That way they can sell if for $10, so there's little risk to the end consumer. Just use the old GameBrain schematics. I'm sure they're around somewhere. After all, Atari was never split in half, & one of those halfs wasn't shut down & sold as a series of assets in the 90's. ;)

:(

Yeah but the Ataribox doesn't have an Apple logo.

Or a CPU, or a GPU, or functional input devices, or networking, or pretty much everything else that's expected of a modern computing device.

It can certainly light up an LED like nobody's business, though. That's gotta be worth at least a couple hundred bucks right there.

• Like 10

ignoring everything else, the amount of money i'm willing to flush down the toilet on some novelty product caps at ~$150

even then its gotta be something superdamn special, I bulked at buying a coleco flashback for half price after the xmas they came out ... and I learned gaming on a colecovision to almost a decade later jump into genesis, I mean lets face it, its been over 20 years since I could run everything these systems had to offer on my computer, its only a novelty factor at this point (and its not like I got 2 ras pi's a pcduino, a wii, and a firestick laced around my 3 bedroom house along with 2 pc's phones and tablet's to do everyfking thing I want already)

It can certainly light up an LED like nobody's business, though. That's gotta be worth at least a couple hundred pennies right there.

fixed that for you

Edited by Osgeld

nah pocket chip computer couldnt do that for 30 bucks, it was pico 8 handheld (ran actual pico 8 games) + linux and just filed bankruptcy

reminds me I paid 15 bucks for pico8 I should actually look at it sometime

Edited by Osgeld

No, they'll just buy a Raspberry Pi (Or more then likely, they already own one of them, or seven)

I'll freely admit to being up to nine RasPis at present. Seven of them are dedicated low-powered servers for resources I either don't want to or can't run in the VM environment, and two are there for prototyping without taking down any of the other seven.

Dropping $300 on a Linux box in an Atari 2600-alike case simply because it's in that case makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If someone just wants to get their feet wet with Linux, $34 gets you everything you need.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

It can certainly light up an LED like nobody's business, though. That's gotta be worth at least a couple hundred bucks right there.

So I can buy cheap LEDs and 1.5V battery compartments and then sell them in hot glued in cardboard boxes from Wal-Mart and sell them for $300 each. :lol:

• Like 1

tonight 8 pm at London :

Running a real world process: The Atari Token & Platform explains its process

and

late April Atari will announce the pre-order launch date for the Atari VCS

what else

late April Atari will announce the pre-order launch date for the Atari VCS what else

So I can buy cheap LEDs and 1.5V battery compartments and then sell them in hot glued in cardboard boxes from Wal-Mart and sell them for $300 each. :lol:

If you were able to do that, you'd be way ahead of "Atari." There are over six thousand Wal-Marts in the USA. To get a product on store shelves you'd have to convince a corporate buyer that you could stock enough of them to sell. To be able to stock enough of them to sell, you'd need some startup money and means of production. "Atari" hasn't stated clearly how they intend to fund their thing -- originally it was set to be crowdfunded "to reduce the risk to the company." I think it's fair to say that we just don't know anymore. They keep using the word "preorder."

From where I sit,

"LEDs and 1.5V battery compartments hot glued in cardboard boxes at Walmart for $300 each"

is more of a viable product than

"Linux box thing with indeterminate specs, lights inside for maybe certain, launching at indeterminate date for indeterminate price"

Hey @ataribox this looks super awesome, can't wait to play! #ataribox #retrorevival

post-2410-0-82131900-1523891134_thumb.png

• Like 3