IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

11,000 - just 239,000 +/- off from eclipsing the Jaguar run. icon_wink.gif But is it a 64-bit version of the OS? (I've said what I needed to, before - just having a bit of a useless dig, as this whole endeavor is a bit sad and could have had a better face,that even I might have tepidly supported, if a sincere effort would have been shown, instead of playing out as a nostalgia cash-grab. Not saying it isn't real, but meh, meh,again.)

What do you mean, "a certificate is neither a bell nor a whistle?" THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS

post-2410-0-95948900-1529239009.png

KABOOM! That's what this thing is going to do. And it will all be Activision's fault. Too bad I can't go back and edit my mistake, imagine the revisionist history that would ensue!

post-2410-0-59503000-1529239055.png

You'll get your certificate and you'll like it.

post-2410-0-95253700-1529239107.png

Greedy collector-speculator pigeon motivation is clear.

post-2410-0-14444200-1529239169.png

Not only do you get the piece of paper confirming your early pigeon status, you also get the manufacturing defects of the first release. For free! And maybe ONE day, they will be more valuable. But not TOday.

post-2410-0-62205900-1529239399.png

Oh yeah, we're better than that, whatever that is. I'm not really into games. Thanks for the money!

post-2410-0-84812100-1529239472.png

Thanks for the help, dude! Free marketing help is appreciated, we're kinda short-handed here.

post-2410-0-54804800-1529239516.png

Think of the Classic Controller as a part of our marketing pitch. It might not be useful in games, but it's important to our brand, so we have our customers pay extra for it, even if it's not supported. Consider it our Kinect.

post-2410-0-18619600-1529239599.png

• Like 10

Show our work? You've gotta be kidding me. Yeah, sure, we'll ask about that. I'm just here to take the money.

post-2410-0-85886200-1529239689.png

Ahh yes, the beloved Atari 5200 controllers. Let's compare things to that. Oh, and no answer to your straightforward question other than "it's possible." What sells more units? Ambiguity and wishful thinking! Clarity and honesty? Bells and whistles!

post-2410-0-26173900-1529239736.png

You must be out of your mind. We're not re-tooling our assemblies for you stupid tools. You get a certificate, which we call "bells and whistles." That's what you get for not knowing the difference between shit and Shinola.

post-2410-0-58254500-1529239848.png

Again with the "bells and whistles," certificate of authenticity, and the suggestion of greater value in the future.

post-2410-0-80037800-1529239925.png

We need to look into whether there's money in this notion of supporting old games. Probably not. Oh, and we're so much more than an Ouya. This is only the beginning. We'll look into it. Bells and whistles!

post-2410-0-30627300-1529240324.png

WELCOME TO THE UPSIDE DOWN, where pigeons want to give more money because of perceived value, and consumer goods get more expensive over time, even if they haven't been released yet.

post-2410-0-37163200-1529240083.png

You know what else makes "no sense," AtariBox? Oh I can't even. Too easy.

post-2410-0-33583600-1529240139.png

Remember, my easily confused pigeons, we are not your friends!

post-2410-0-94065800-1529240180.png

• Like 10

Backerkit shows that retconning-in the Tribute Edition did have an effect on sales. That is, if you have a nice magnifying glass handy. Yesterday it went back to a flat line.

I wish there was a better alternative but I can't find any other site that tracks Indiegogo. Crowdcharts was what we used for RVGS, but that site's for sale now.

Ahh yes, the beloved Atari 5200 controllers. Let's compare things to that. Oh, and no answer to your straightforward question other than "it's possible." What sells more units? Ambiguity and wishful thinking! Clarity and honesty? Bells and whistles!
attachicon.gif10 ahh yes the atari 5200 everyone loved that.PNG

We need to look into whether there's money in this notion of supporting old games. Probably not. Oh, and we're so much more than an Ouya. This is only the beginning. We'll look into it. Bells and whistles!
attachicon.gif13 where did you get this wacky idea.PNG

I even see both of these as examples of marketing ambiguity and wishful thinking. Will my old Atari paddles work for Tempest 4000 via USB? We don't know, but it's possible!

• Like 3

Again with the "bells and whistles," certificate of authenticity, and the suggestion of greater value in the future.

Given the way that Atari SA or its agents phrased the possibility of increased value in the future ("...will be super-valuable one day...", "...verified ones will be the valuable ones one day...", etc.), those could perhaps be considered to be legally-binding statements.

I'm unaware if there's a blanket disclaimer concerning forward-looking statements covering their campaign that basically lets them weasel out on any future predictions, but the use of definite ("will") rather than conditional ("may") language opens up quite a can of potentially-litigious worms for them if these things have no increased value in the aftermarket.

Then again, given the type and level of interest in these devices, I can also see where the inverse may apply and values do go up - except that the units are basically being sold from speculator to speculator. Actual enthusiast or collector interest in them is pretty low.

Either way, it speaks poorly for the abilities of the PR flacks Atari SA has working on their campaign. PR Rule #1: never make a promise that can't be kept. PR Rule #2: don't break rule #1 unless you like negative attention from someone else's lawyers. I'm not even in marketing or public relations and know that what they just did was a fundamental mistake.

• Like 5

The new VCS sure is a sexy piece of plastic though. If money came easier to me (or they lowered the price substantially), I would gamble on it and be satisfied if it did nothing but set on my shelf.

Maybe I can pick up a broken one on ebay some day.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

The new VCS sure is a sexy piece of plastic though. If money came easier to me (or they lowered the price substantially), I would gamble on it and be satisfied if it did nothing but set on my shelf.

Maybe I can pick up a broken one on ebay some day.

If CommanderGrimm releases the plans for his 3D-printed Ataribox case (or decides to sell them), I'm likely in for one. The aesthetics are appealing, and there's even a spare RasPi 3B floating around here that could go straight into it.

Had the actual AtariVCSbox been a $149 item, I might have looked at it and wavered a bit - but if the cash was burning a hole in my pocket, I likely would have gone for it. At $99 it would have been a much quicker pull of the trigger, and at $79 or less it would have been a whip-out-the-plastic-NOW moment. But at $249 and up (and considerably more than that now that the early bird 'specials' have ended)... No way.

Of course, AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. would have had to have actually produced them in order to sell one to me - and based on how they're acting towards not only their own backers but also their critics and the wider enthusiast community before even having a product to sell, I'm choosing to vote with my wallet and never give them my money. Even buying one secondhand doesn't have any appeal given their track record thus far; I just don't care to give them shelf space.

• Like 6

Couldn't Atari have just designed the case around a small form factor or two, then sold that? They still could've had complete console options at different tiers. It's not like it has to be a locked-down system for player fairness, or anything.

That would have been the smart thing to do. It would have locked in a hardware spec, they could have worked on the frontend and backend design and architectures based on that, and brought the thing to market in the amount of time that it's taken them to not bring a product to market.

Then again, 'Atari SA' and 'clueful' seem to be mutually-exclusive terms, so no great surprise that there's still nothing to show.

• Like 4

(AtariSA voice) Hello, Dave. That's an interesting question and we will pass it along to the wastebasket. Bells and whistles! Bomb Diggety! (grabs urban dictionary) ummm, we're hip to your lingo! This is the valuable one! Watch out for Haters and Trolls!

• Like 8

Oh Man, now on Discovery in the UK, Nolan Bushnell and Al Alcorn talking about Atari and Pong! (it's that Silicon Valley: The untold story series, Ep3....)

"Success for Atari Inc!"

"Nolan wanted to make it a fun place to work".... cue photo of the Hot Tub meeting! ...and the Mary Jane aroma....

then 1976 (? I Think....) Warners took over and put a stop to that....

Nolan thought this "Warners" Atari was losing it's soul.....

Hmm I hope we get to what he thinks of the soul of Atari SA! Arf Arf

• Like 1

attachicon.gif10 ahh yes the atari 5200 everyone loved that.PNG

How stupid are these people to where they think that the Atari 5200 controller is good? They probably haven't even touched one let alone seen one!

post-49549-0-43665500-1529266062.jpg

Today's totals are $2,905,140 USD raised by 11033 backers, with 12 days left in the campaign. While they cruised past 10,000 backers, the climb to 3 million in funding seems to be slowing to a crawl. Once we get to the ten day mark I think it will be time to start placing bets on the final fund raising totals. It will also be interesting to see if there is a major bump in funding right before the campaign ends, as is often the case with many crowd funding projects.

I'm a toy geek and I recently backed the Star Wars HasLab Jabba Sail Barge project. I kept watching the campaign daily feeling it was not going to make it's intended 5000 units goal. Every day I crunched the numbers and I just couldn't see it happening. In the last week of the campaign it blew past that number and cleared 8,000 backers. It will be interesting to see if the Atari VCS enjoys the same good fortune.

Today's totals are $2,905,140 USD raised by 11033 backers, with 12 days left in the campaign. While they cruised past 10,000 backers, the climb to 3 million in funding seems to be slowing to a crawl. Once we get to the ten day mark I think it will be time to start placing bets on the final fund raising totals. It will also be interesting to see if there is a major bump in funding right before the campaign ends, as is often the case with many crowd funding projects.

I'm a toy geek and I recently backed the Star Wars HasLab Jabba Sail Barge project. I kept watching the campaign daily feeling it was not going to make it's intended 5000 units goal. Every day I crunched the numbers and I just couldn't see it happening. In the last week of the campaign it blew past that number and cleared 8,000 backers. It will be interesting to see if the Atari VCS enjoys the same good fortune.

It'll be equally-interesting to see what the spread is on sales. Both of the system bundles run $20 more than buying the console and two-controller packs individually, which defeats the pricing advantage typically seen in bundling.

Given that they're basically $100K short of the $3M mark, that translates out to 333 sales of a $299 console (taking the one in the middle as the pricing example) in the next 10 days. At 12 days to go, that represents $8.5K/day in sales, and given that sales have been hovering around the $1K/day mark for the last 12 days or so, even with a surge in interest at the end it's difficult to see that average being reached. Not impossible, but I'd say the possibility is greatly reduced at this point.

Comparing Atari to Hasbro is like comparing a lemonade stand to Minute Maid

• Like 5

Given that they're basically $100K short of the $3M mark, that translates out to 333 sales of a $299 console (taking the one in the middle as the pricing example) in the next 10 days. At 12 days to go, that represents $8.5K/day in sales, and given that sales have been hovering around the $1K/day mark for the last 12 days or so, even with a surge in interest at the end it's difficult to see that average being reached. Not impossible, but I'd say the possibility is greatly reduced at this point.

Nothing stopping them from releasing the remaining ~400 bomb-diggety Classic editions to push numbers higher. Pigeons certainly won't complain.

• Like 2