IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Counter argument: The Pandora https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

Not a main stream success, but successful enough to last a few years.

Not sure if this is a good example. Pandora is not on the stock market and it's also an actual product, which at the time of the release filled a particular niche. There was no open-source, pocket-sized, mini PCs with a keyboard back then.

One similarity is that perhaps its user base is quite oblivious to any criticism. Which is probably why the new one (Pyra) can get away with its quite ridiculous price - despite the fact that now it actually has competitors.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 5

I remember the pandora development cycle, it was a good dumpster fire from start to finish

but from the start they had a clear roadmap and shared every step of the way good or bad ... even with a bit of candy coating and delays

• Like 7

By the way, yesterday I got the same Atari VCS commercial prefacing my desired YouTube video thrice in a row. I understand that might be due to I'm logged into my Google account all the time and it collects data about every page I visit and tries to display relevant commercials to me. Since I've barely visited the Indiegogo site but are reading this thread almost daily, I take it Google counts that anyone who reads and posts in this thread might be a customer of the new Atari conosle that Ataribox, and displays the commercial enough number of times until you have placed an order. So much for Atari's opinion we're all haters over here in that case.

• Like 1

By the way, yesterday I got the same Atari VCS commercial prefacing my desired YouTube video thrice in a row. I understand that might be due to I'm logged into my Google account all the time and it collects data about every page I visit and tries to display relevant commercials to me. Since I've barely visited the Indiegogo site but are reading this thread almost daily, I take it Google counts that anyone who reads and posts in this thread might be a customer of the new Atari conosle that Ataribox, and displays the commercial enough number of times until you have placed an order. So much for Atari's opinion we're all haters over here in that case.

That, and several vcs youtube videos have been embedded in the thread, so google is most likely tracking that way, too.

• Like 5

Do we want to discuss how AtariVCS won't have streaming apps, but rather all streaming will be done through the browser?

You could be forgiven if you think a modern device that is advertised as a "Home Entertainment Streaming Device" would have native streaming apps. It's 2018, after-all, and it calls itself that in its Indiegogo description:

post-39941-0-42921500-1529401210.jpg

And says here that you can stream:

post-39941-0-64514000-1529403080.jpg

And mentions it again later on:

post-39941-0-45005600-1529401375.jpg

Yet, specific app providers are strangely missing from the description anywhere on the page.

Well, that's not exactly true. For some reason, this is under the section called "Playing Games on AtariVCS" about web browser app access:

post-39941-0-48453700-1529401733.jpg

Not enough evidence? Am I just another hater? Well, probably. But listen to Michael Artz himself say that companies like Twitch won't make a native app unless there are enough user numbers there. And also that browser apps will work fine. Scrub to the 25 minute mark and listen a bit. Also, at the 40 minute mark he says he knows Discord will work because it can be used through the browser:

So is this a big nothingtaco? Are you fine with having to load up a web browser to stream on your streaming device? Or just install apps separately in the Ubuntu sandbox? Who cares, they have a year to do it?

Or is this yet another sign of Atari playing the "ambiguity and wishful thinking" game?

• Like 6

"So is this a big nothingtaco? Are you fine with having to load up a web browser to stream on your streaming device? Or just install apps separately in the Ubuntu sandbox? Who cares, they have a year to do it?"

I rarely install apps for web services; if I can access the service via the web, if the service depends on the Internet to work anyways, why should I waste my precious hard disk space?

• Like 1

I rarely install apps for web services; if I can access the service via the web, if the service depends on the Internet to work anyways, why should I waste my precious hard disk space?

On a desktop browser

Hooked to a television

Navigated with a game controller (or voice)

For three hundred dollars

In a year, maybe

Sounds great #atari, can't wait to play!

• Like 5

I'm gonna check the Market in about 4 minutes...

For those who wish to follow; ATARI stock on the American market is called TARIF (Yes, That's its ticker). Given what's absolutely killing the Market right now, they have probably the most unfortunate name on the whole exchange.

At any rate I seem to remember a few days back it was 67 cents or so and had managed to drop more than 5% in 1 day and still only sold a little over 600 shares in volume.

I wouldn't recommend it for investors.

No Way!

• Like 1

The thought of removing our Xbox One's streaming apps to do everything through the browser makes my head hurt. Not to mention, as I showed, the AVCS is advertised as a media streaming device. That implies things, like a Netflix app easy enough for a mom to use.

On a desktop browser
Hooked to a television
Navigated with a game controller (or voice)
For three hundred dollars
In a year, maybe

Sounds great #atari, can't wait to play!

• Like 1

according to the arzt interview they'll have app versions as soon as other people decide it's a good idea to make them

Which is to say never because no company is going to waste time on a console that only has 9,000 of them in circulation

• Like 4

according to the arzt interview they'll have app versions as soon as other people decide it's a good idea to make them

Which is to say never because no company is going to waste time on a console that only has 9,000 of them in circulation

You mean despite the fact that I HATE nutari (and their lawyers) and definitely think they deserve to Die a Painful Death for calling this "thing" a "VCS" and think we should somehow scrub all references of it on the internet so a search engine (Any search Engine) will only return images and references to a 1977 Atari VCS should someone type that in (to said search engine), and also wish I could personally Destroy all targeted ads which feature this Atrocity, that I, being of likely unsound mind, have actually, as it turns out Overestimated them??

Yeah, seems about right...

• Like 3

The thought of removing our Xbox One's streaming apps to do everything through the browser makes my head hurt. Not to mention, as I showed, the AVCS is advertised as a media streaming device. That implies things, like a Netflix app easy enough for a mom to use.

I'm the exact opposite. I refuse to download a dedicated "app" for anything that I can accomplish on a modern web broswer. That's just providing another excuse for companies to track our internet useage. :roll:

• Like 2

I'm gonna check the Market in about 4 minutes...

For those who wish to follow; ATARI stock on the American market is called TARIF (Yes, That's its ticker). Given what's absolutely killing the Market right now, they have probably the most unfortunate name on the whole exchange.

At any rate I seem to remember a few days back it was 67 cents or so and had managed to drop more than 5% in 1 day and still only sold a little over 600 shares in volume.

I wouldn't recommend it for investors.

No Way!

TARIF. Now that's a good one. Is that what they are attempting to collect upon with the IndieGoGo campaign? :rolling:

• Like 1

I'm the exact opposite. I refuse to download a dedicated "app" for anything that I can accomplish on a modern web broswer. That's just providing another excuse for companies to track our internet useage. :roll:

You do this even on a modern console? I guess you don't own a Roku or similar streaming device either? Do you even stream to TV, bro? :P :D

I can't imagine what Amazon Prime would track through their Xbox One app other than what Prime videos we watch, but I'd be interested in finding out more.

At any rate, it still doesn't take away from the fact Atari is being misleading about their VCS as a streaming device.

• Like 3

If you're gonna talk from a perspective of "ecosystem" this thing is a total dumpster fire. If their intent is to have an Atari app store specific to this device, no one will make anything designed to launch in it, even if it just needs some xml wrapper. It's like some kid at the Superbowl sayin, "I'm gonna take my football and go home." Why should anyone care?

It sounds like they're headed to a place equivalent to the Wii launching with controllers optional, and nothing available to run on it but Atari Vault and the homebrew channel. To restate what most every knowledgeable and principled tech writer has said. It's like they have no idea what he hell they are doing.

• Like 5