IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

The "runaway success" of their campaign is about the only positive PR they've got left, and losing backers doesn't fit the narrative. I think they should cancel the campaign ... to make it even better!

OMG, they wouldn't....would they? Pasted here for the lazy

Were delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything wed imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant wed need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our teams overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If theres ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system soon on our Facebook page, and well focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

Well keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

• Like 5

OMG, they wouldn't....would they? Pasted here for the lazy

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system soon on our Facebook page, and well focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

... and about three days later, this happened (and someday I'll be telling the story to my great-grandkids).

• Like 5

More confusion...

Their Indiegogo page says they're in the Prototype stage:

post-2641-0-22529400-1529705258.png

Did I miss the whole "working version of their physical product that successfully demonstrates the key features and functionality of the final product" thing?

post-2641-0-40661800-1529705285_thumb.png

• Like 8

Elsewhere, in the real tech world, actual company that makes things Apple is feeling some heat because of AirPower, a Qi-style charging mat that is supposed to power iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch from one wireless dingus. It was announced in Sept 2017, expected sometime 2018, presumed June but doesn't seem anywhere near release, not even an year after they talked about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-21/why-apple-s-airpower-wireless-charger-is-taking-so-long-to-make

Two ways to look at this:

1. Hey look, these things take time, good things come to those who wait, it's like a NASA launch, AtariBox will blow your balls off.

2. If supergiant Apple flounders with a product launch, what hope does cash-starved, incompetent, incontinent, impotent, impertinent Atari hope to ever deliver? They can't even get their story straight.

• Like 5

I'm confused.

Are we haters and trolls...

attachicon.gifpost-2410-0-44186700-1529116417.jpeg

...or a highly engaged community?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-06-22 at 2.59.38 PM.png

No, they're the trolls. With common trolls, whether internet or copyright types, they have the tendency to say they're not trolls, but in reality, they are. That's a common troll response from a troll or trolls. But maybe it's time to call them "pests" instead according this article about the whole KitKat Breakout dilemma.

• Like 1

Atari's Facebook started deleting links to the Register's rebuttal. Yesterday, there were four under Atari's own "irresponsible trolls" post. Now there are none.

Also,

IGN: ATARI'S NEW CONSOLE UNDER FIRE AGAIN AS CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN NEARS END

About half the article is about IGN's E3 interview with Intellivision's Tommy Tallarico.

"On Kickstarter, you had to have hardware in order to kickstart it,” Tallarico told us during an interview at E3 2018. "So Indiegogo, you can crowdfund something, a piece of hardware, never come out with it, and keep 3 million dollars."

Tallarico likened the situation to the disastrous, now-canceled crowdfunding campaign behind the Coleco Chameleon, which he referred to as "a big scam." He added, "It wasn’t a system. They used the Atari Jaguar case. They put [out] a thing, and they were trying to raise money."

Ouch. They say there was more but will apparently publish that next week in an article on the Intellivision.

• Like 6

There is some bittersweet irony in the fact that no one hates Atari more than their biggest fans. You can say you're a fan of "Old Atari" and not "New Atari", but Atari isn't doing anything differently now than they would have done in the 80's and 90's if they had access to crowdfunding back then.

Atari as a company has a very long history of being total cheapskates, over promising, and under delivering on their consoles when it comes to everything they produced after the 2600 and 8-bit computer line. Any time they could save money on anything they did, usually at the expense of the consumer, and they were never above misleading the consumer about the capabilities of their hardware. And guess what happened to those systems? They all failed in the marketplace, just like most of you expect the VCS to.

If you think the current incarnation of Atari is doing anything different than the Atari you loved in the 80's and 90's, well, you haven't been paying attention.

• Like 8

Atari's Facebook started deleting links to the Register's rebuttal. Yesterday, there were four under Atari's own "irresponsible trolls" post. Now there are none.

Also,

IGN: ATARI'S NEW CONSOLE UNDER FIRE AGAIN AS CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN NEARS END

About half the article is about IGN's E3 interview with Intellivision's Tommy Tallarico.

Ouch. They say there was more but will apparently publish that next week in an article on the Intellivision.

The stopwatch counting up to the point where this flops and Atari SA places the blame on the Haters & Trolls starts... Now. When it does happen, I'm really hoping that they use the term 'hit piece' to describe The Register's release of the Michael Arzt interview audio. It'll make for an excellent Bullshit Bingo square to cross off.

Atari SA (and / or your PR peons), since you're reading this thread: has no-one ever clued you in to the UK press and how they report, particularly when someone tries to go after one of their own? If you think you've been treated harshly by them, keep pushing. You'll find out exactly how kind they've been to you thus far.

• Like 7

Atari as a company has a very long history of being total cheapskates, over promising, and under delivering on their consoles when it comes to everything they produced after the 2600 and 8-bit computer line. Any time they could save money on anything they did, usually at the expense of the consumer, and they were never above misleading the consumer about the capabilities of their hardware. And guess what happened to those systems? They all failed in the marketplace, just like most of you expect the VCS to.

If you think the current incarnation of Atari is doing anything different than the Atari you loved in the 80's and 90's, well, you haven't been paying attention.

I was thinking nearly the same thing. I remember the old days - waiting long past when it was promised, then when / if ever getting it being disappointed that it was basically the same thing I already owned but in a different package and more cheaply built.

At this point, they are kind of burning any positive vibe their brand might have had left. I almost wish someone would develop a homebrew logo / brand that could replace the fuji. The we could be Notari fans. :)

I was thinking nearly the same thing. I remember the old days - waiting long past when it was promised, then when / if ever getting it being disappointed that it was basically the same thing I already owned but in a different package and more cheaply built.

At this point, they are kind of burning any positive vibe their brand might have had left. I almost wish someone would develop a homebrew logo / brand that could replace the fuji. The we could be Notari fans. :)

As far as I'm concerned, this website **IS** Atari, and the AA logo you see at the top replaced the Fuji a loooooong time ago.

So much so that I actually would like to see an AA-branded console.

• Like 10

As far as I'm concerned, this website **IS** Atari, and the AA logo you see at the top replaced the Fuji a loooooong time ago.

So much so that I actually would like to see an AA-branded console.

Well, Albert is in possession of the Jag molds and that's the most important part!

• Like 7

There is some bittersweet irony in the fact that no one hates Atari more than their biggest fans. You can say you're a fan of "Old Atari" and not "New Atari", but Atari isn't doing anything differently now than they would have done in the 80's and 90's if they had access to crowdfunding back then.

You are right, but at least the other Atari consoles after the 2600 and 8-bit computer line had a soul. The 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar were their own exclusive machines.

The Atari "VCS" is just a mini Linux-running PC with an Atari logo slapped on the case.

• Like 3

I'd be interested n purchasing one of the jag cases for a project box. Are they still for sale?

Come to think of it, an appropriate AA product would be a jag box tweaked to properly support a standard X86 SOC board and a couple Stelladaptors built in. You can bring your own board. This could be offered as a do it yourself kit. This seems a much better retro product for people who are not idiots. The AA community could contribute to a front end also for some ongoing community activities, other than taking down fraudster brand squatter I mean.

Whoa, now. I kinda get what you're trying to say but I really wouldn't put the the olden one on the level with this bunch of hucksters.

I'm not well versed in the Atari's history, but whatever their failings were - and I'm sure there were plenty - at least they managed to come up with real hardware, quite often iconic, up till the end of the Eighties, perhaps even into early Nineties, depending on how you look at Jaguar. Which, disastrous as it was, at least was trying to do something fresh and advanced. And I'm saying that as a die hard Sinclair/Commodore fanatic. We might've been mocking our Atari friends back in the day but also had certain respect for these machines and definitely all wanted that AvP game.

So it's not really fair to compare these olden Atarians to some cynical corporate playas who bought the logo and the papers. And then can't even put a working prototype together and avoid their campaign becoming a farce. And overall probably never even intended to fully go through with this and are just silently praying for a buyout.

• Like 8