IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

And it genuinely was. That said, it does bring a bit of a glow to my heart to see that tacos are now inextricably-linked with the AtariVCSbollocks.

You have to give them credit, you would never have had that glow in your heart if it wasnt for the 2019 VCS. o u o They brought your soul to life.

You keep forgetting about this tool, though he'd probably only try for it if is was lying in a ditch with cigarette butts all over it.

vgbs67.png

Oh man...

I so want to see a rap battle between Chris Cardilly-yo and DJ Fresh Cheesenuts now...

post-2641-0-36952200-1532046552_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What is the the over / under on total number of posts on this thread ? :0

A co worker mentioned she was having fish tacos for dinner..

I thought of this thread...

Weird :0

Fish tacos are not tacos. They are something else. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/?p=3945634

• Like 1

As a Texas boy I once fully agreeded with that..

Then I went to California and discovered fish tacos..

And I was woke as the kids now say..

Fish tacos proudly and rightfully take their place in the taco family now!

Now shrimp tacos? Yeah only commies like those!!

Edited by RugglesTx

What is the the over / under on total number of posts on this thread ? :0

A co worker mentioned she was having fish tacos for dinner..

I thought of this thread...

Weird :0

It will go as long as the project is still alive. The Chameleon thread lost its steam when it was finally cancelled.

• Like 4

I am probably making a little piece about how consoles that have gone the crowd funding route don't have much success even if something is produced and shipped...

Shipped but had many problems and ultimately considered a failure:

Ouya

GameStick

Complete BS:

Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon

Likely headed down the Chameleon route but now money has been taken

Atari VCS

Am I missing anything? Not including the Gameband....

• Like 1

This has the advantage that it's X86-64 based. If it now has 8GB of ram, all the better.
It's a shame CF is out of vogue now.... they would make the perfect form factor for a tiny cartridge to plug in and store all your games.

I know it's crazy, but i'd still kind of like them to make an expansion slot using PCI-E x4 and make an M.2 drive in a shell to take all your games etc physically with you.

Edited by RupanIII
  • Like 3

I'd suggest the Novatio, Vega Plus, Gamestick, Pandora, GCW Zero, GPD Win for a broad spread of crowdfunded consoles and their issues.

Quite what categories you put them in are another matter though. The latter three are arguably limited successes even, as they all shipped and have their fans. None of them have anything like what Atari are promising with native ports of commercial games though, as they all just piggybacked existing software platforms.

• Like 5

I am probably making a little piece about how consoles that have gone the crowd funding route don't have much success even if something is produced and shipped...

Ouya

GameStick

Complete BS:

Atari VCS

While I am weary of the AVCS. I do believe that they will be somewhere in between. I do think they will deliver something to the backers.

• Like 1

While I am weary of the AVCS. I do believe that they will be somewhere in between. I do think they will deliver something to the backers.

I expect it'll be at about the same level as the GCW Zero. That shipped, got a couple of years of indifferent support mostly consisting of ports of free games and emulators, and was then pretty much abandoned by its makers. There are still a few people who use them, including some who'd even swear by them, but the overall effect on the video games market was barely a ripple.

Of course, there's still scope for things to turn into a hilarious car crash full of delays and recriminations, so I'm sure there will be at least another year's worth of gourmet Mexican dining to look forward to.

• Like 5

So, I like to read about science from time to time. There's some good news for VCS backers: they're not alone!

Sunk cost fallacy in mice, rats and humans

The behavior of people who remain committed to a choice, even when it is clear that an alternate choice would be a better option, has been a perplexing phenomenon to psychologists and economists. For example, people will continue to wait in the slow line at a grocery store, stick out an unhealthy relationship, or refuse to abandon an expensive, wasteful project -- all because such individuals have already invested time, effort, or money. This well-known cognitive phenomenon termed the "sunk cost fallacy" has long been considered a problem unique to humans. New research has discovered that humans are not the only species that share these economically irrational flaws.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180713111925.htm

• Like 6

Ouya

GameStick

Complete BS:

Atari VCS

You're missing a ton of things that didn't grab as much media attention (not your fault, that's just the nature of fads like this). Gamestick and Ouya were early, but there were many many other things like them. Your most notable omission is Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All, which depending who you talk to, was courted/harassed by Atari. I think the Dreamcade product is a lot more worthy and interesting than AtariBox.

Here are some hardware projects that I personally backed:

Tingbot: Make Raspberry Pi More Fun! a cute case and development environment to make clock radios and stuff out of a Pi. Can also use it as a tiny arcade machine.

Arduboy - Card Sized Gaming arduino and OLED screen on a credit card sized case, with game controls

CHIP -- the World's First Nine Dollar Computer tiny handheld Linux, also supports PICO8 "fantasy console"

Grippity: World's First Transparent Tablet unsuccessful

GameStick: The Most Portable TV Games Console Ever Created I canceled this one, but it came out, albeit slow and underpowered

GameKid a Pi-Boy, funded successfully, but they didn't build it so backers were refunded

I gave away or sold off all of these, but I kept my OUYA because it's cute and I have bunches of emulators on it, even though I don't use it. Some of the pitches for these are very well done, and nearly all of them have the "create your own awesome!" tone about them ... "open" is another way of saying "bring or make your own software."

Logistics of manufacturing, packaging, and shipping is difficult, but yeah, they really should. It's just that AtariBox is so late, so undifferentiated, so bland. It's the boiled chicken breast and plain white rice version of a games console. It would never have gotten any traction if not for the brand, and if I were the god-emperor of Atari, I never would have greenlit the idea.

I expect it'll be at about the same level as the GCW Zero. That shipped, got a couple of years of indifferent support mostly consisting of ports of free games and emulators, and was then pretty much abandoned by its makers. There are still a few people who use them, including some who'd even swear by them, but the overall effect on the video games market was barely a ripple.

Of course, there's still scope for things to turn into a hilarious car crash full of delays and recriminations, so I'm sure there will be at least another year's worth of gourmet Mexican dining to look forward to.

I didn't back GCW Zero, but I got a second hand one from Ebay. It was just OK, and it's been surpassed in price/performance by a zillion cheap Chinese game players. I don't have it anymore, and I had a pain in the ass experience selling it. I foolishly listed it as configured, and the dumb-dumb who bought it refused to read up on how to actually use it. I ended up refunding the money, and when I successfully resisted it, I erased it and set it to factory defaults, and I used ThinkGeek's language as a dumb-dumb screen:

Important Note:

The GCW-Zero does not come with any emulator software pre-installed. It's a blank canvas for you to create your own gaming masterpiece with. If you are new to this kind of platform we suggest you do some research before you dive in. A great place to do this is the Dingoonity Forums, endless existing information and a large community of GCW enthusiasts who will help you through just about anything. This platform/device is constantly evolving and changing so you might need to put in a bit of effort to figure things out. If any of this scares you, then you may want to reconsider your purchase.

Assuming AtariBox comes out, they might want to say something similar for would-be "hackers" who want to put Steam games in the "Any OS" container. It's likely to be more work than some will want to do, especially for a self-described game console.

Prediction: less hacking and development, more people leaving it in the box, hoping it will gain value, like this specimen:

post-2410-0-00745100-1532095728.png

giphy.gif

Whatever, Fred.

• Like 2

Logistics of manufacturing, packaging, and shipping is difficult, but yeah, they really should. It's just that AtariBox is so late, so undifferentiated, so bland. It's the boiled chicken breast and plain white rice version of a games console. It would never have gotten any traction if not for the brand, and if I were the god-emperor of Atari, I never would have greenlit the idea.

Atari is the Teriyaki. ;)