IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I dunno. Custom chip from AMD with Radeon technology? So it's an APU with probably an R7 (just don't make it an R5).

It's the form factor that bugs me the most. I'd have preferred it if they'd gone for something a little more substantial rather than something that people can just throw into a cupboard.

I dunno. Custom chip from AMD with Radeon technology? So it's an APU with probably an R7 (just don't make it an R5).

It's the form factor that bugs me the most. I'd have preferred it if they'd gone for something a little more substantial rather than something that people can just throw into a cupboard.

That is the real trick though. Anyone who has attempted to build a proper HTPC knows how hard it is to get a compact case that is silent enough in the home theater stack... something even Sony can't do right. (I can't speak about Microsoft's fan noise on the xbox)

• Like 1

A bit more of a story on it including comments from Feargal Mac , the creator of the Ataribox

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/25/ataribox-runs-linux-on-amd-chip-and-will-cost-at-least-249/amp/?utm_content=buffer5dea2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by vcoleiro1

$300, (at least some) real wood, Linux. Im actually mildly interested now.

Yep same here - I am happy it is on linux and we have access to the low level stuff. :)

Interesting interview. I am happy that it will at least run mid range games. This is where the OUYA really failed. :(

I think that is it's x -factor , ie what they said in this quote:

"As a Linux-based open system, the Ataribox will also promote freedom for users to run what they want. Users will have free access to the underlying OS to customize as they wish"

Edited by vcoleiro1

I think the fact that this is being crowdfunded is absolute garbage. It's a corporation - use your profits from the zillions of rehashes you've released to build them and put them on shelves. Crowdfunding is for small, hopeful businesses. If it shows up on shelves, and if it does something other than emulate their current catalog and allow online multiplayer, then I will think about it. But $300 is steep.

Edited by bszarek001
  • Like 1