IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I still see my comment there... o 3 o

Maybe it's my browser cache. *shrugs*

At any rate, I'm pretty tired of the VCS debacle. I'm at the point now where I'm done discussing it until next year.

I'm not going to visit the indiegogo page, and I've also got this topic set to "ignore". I only pop in here once in a while because my comments on the indiegogo page are/were being screenshotted/quoted, so yeah.

Bye ... AGAIN!!!! :)

• Like 2

That kinda reminds me of Mr. Wonderful. He likes to send his "money soldiers out into the world and visit them occasionally so they bring back more money."

Lod sends his "money cannon fodder out into the world and will never visit them so he doesn't have to watch them getting slaughtered."

Is everyone watching closely?

Guaranteed success in three simple steps.

1. Assume the best
2. Ignore all negative information
3. Reap rewards*

Past performance or alternate realities may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance
of any specific investment or product made reference to directly or indirectly in this guarantee will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), or be suitable, delivered ever,
or at all. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions, greed or incompetence, the guarantee may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. To the extent that a reader has any
questions regarding the applicability of any specific guarantee discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with a professional psychotherapist of his/her choosing. A copy of our current
written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

Fortnite vs. AtariBox

-------- -------------

Announced July 2017 June 2017

Released July 2017 July 2019 (estimated)

Audience 200,000,000 10,000 (waiting pigeons)

Staff 700 9

Revenue $1,000,000,000 $3,000,000

Cost Free $239 and up

Content 7 seasons 3 blog posts

Platforms 7 None

Modes 3 None

Tacos In-game None

Sentiment Beloved Mocked

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 8

The AtariBox failing will be a disaster for Atari making any new hardware. No one will ever trust them again. However, the casual people who buy the t-shirts and flashback consoles and Atari collections for modern consoles won't notice or care that they took $3 million from people on Indigogo and delivered nothing. The person at Walmart or Target buying an Atari hat or mini arcade will never hear about what happened on Indigogo.

The t-shirts and flashback consoles are where all the money is for Atari. And they had no creditably to begin with in releasing new hardware, so them losing the trust of people won't mean anything, because there was no reason to believe Atari could or would be able to make any new hardware. (Remember, the Atari handhelds, mini arcades, and flashback consoles are licensing deals, At Games and other companies actually make those products, and will continue to make those products)

• Like 6

Yes, everything you say is true. Atari's hubris is still amazing to me, especially when considering where the money (and attention and players) is concentrated these days. "Atari" seems to be running plays from their 1977 playbook, when an indie garage dude could make a kernel from scratch and maybe a few games and someone might be willing to put up some cash for something like that. Those are the days when you could stick a Pong machine in a pizza joint and rack up quarters. It just seems incredibly naive and lame in today's connected world.

• Like 7

Yes, everything you say is true. Atari's hubris is still amazing to me, especially when considering where the money (and attention and players) is concentrated these days. "Atari" seems to be running plays from their 1977 playbook, when an indie garage dude could make a kernel from scratch and maybe a few games and someone might be willing to put up some cash for something like that. Those are the days when you could stick a Pong machine in a pizza joint and rack up quarters. It just seems incredibly naive and lame in today's connected world.

It's not even their playbook, unless it's part of the assets they bought from JTS.

I don't mind them trying; the garage inventor story's always inspiring, but they need to do the inventing part first.

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 5

Hey, they got the OS working. Without graphics or sound, but it's working. That plus a console case is like 95% of the battle, right?

They have 3D renders of the case. I think they actually have to make the tooling and molds to get credit for the case.

Mike Kennedy deserves the credit for actually having the tooling and molds for the Chameleon case. He just bought the old Atari Jaguar molds, but working injection molds are working injection molds. You can't say Mike Kennedy failed to deliver on that aspect of the project.

He's goofing on "having injection molds for a case is half the battle," which is something Mike Kennedy said more than once while running his mouth to anyone who would listen. Lesson: build your thing first, run your mouth second.

They have 3D renders of the case. I think they actually have to make the tooling and molds to get credit for the case.

They have a dummy mockup of the case, with nothing inside. The renders as shown in their pitch video don't make any sense, because there's no room for hardware inside.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Having a case, in and of itself, isn't an accomplishment. All they'd have to do is take their render, convert it to an .STL file, slap it on a thumb drive, and run it through their neighbor's 3D printer. In some respects, that's less than Coleco Chamelon effort, because it only costs you the efforts of a graphic designer and a spool of plastic. Mike Kennedy had to buy the physical molds and order them injected.

Notice that I said it took the efforts of a GRAPHIC DESIGNER, not engineer of any kind. The case is only designed from an aesthetic perspective, there has been no consideration for fitting components, mounting them, heat dissipation, ventilation, and so on. Anything beyond HOW IT LOOKS is still off the table. That's why I say it's not an accomplishment... because there's no expectation that the lump of plastic they have will function on any level. There's no meaningful difference between Atari's case and an old rubbermaid tub.

• Like 2