IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I only ask for Netflix and Amazon Video. Amazon Video lets me subscribe to HBO and Showtime, so I get all in one nice package! Anyhow, interesting that they'd mention at least Netflix for a box that is Linux. Though it's been usable for a while now, it's still wonderful to read of some sort of 'official' support, rather than some of the hacks people have had to endure. Wonder if they're going to go the PS4 route and have an 'app' or just do a straight pipe into Chrome/Firefox.

Ummmm....yeah, if you can run it on Linux, you can run it just like everything they mentioned. Their anti-information campaign is finally blowing up in their faces. Their Facebook feedback is much less rosey with news of the "added feature" of streaming apps that Linux obviously supports. Seems they forgot to do a 3D render of a controller. Even their ignorant Atari brand fanboys are starting to see them for what they are now. And they haven't even opened their crowd funder yet. Their BS blossom bloomed too early.

• Like 2

I only ask for Netflix and Amazon Video. Amazon Video lets me subscribe to HBO and Showtime, so I get all in one nice package! Anyhow, interesting that they'd mention at least Netflix for a box that is Linux. Though it's been usable for a while now, it's still wonderful to read of some sort of 'official' support, rather than some of the hacks people have had to endure. Wonder if they're going to go the PS4 route and have an 'app' or just do a straight pipe into Chrome/Firefox.

Amazon Video and Youtube for me. All the devices connected to my TVs used to do youtube, but one by one they lost support as google upgraded their APIs, now only my PS4 can play youtube on my TV.

• Like 1

Ummmm....yeah, if you can run it on Linux, you can run it just like everything they mentioned. Their anti-information campaign is finally blowing up in their faces. Their Facebook feedback is much less rosey with news of the "added feature" of streaming apps that Linux obviously supports. Seems they forgot to do a 3D render of a controller. Even their ignorant Atari brand fanboys are starting to see them for what they are now. And they haven't even opened their crowd funder yet. Their BS blossom bloomed too early.

Why do companies and individuals do things like this? Hasn't there been a visible trend of things blowing up? I mean it's pretty pointless to carry on about a fictional product and hope it magically materializes. Stuff like that doesn't happen.

And by reading the facebook commentary it seems they can't get a grip on what their audience wants. Many are expecting a classic console, not a streaming console.

Edited by Keatah

And by reading the facebook commentary it seems they can't get a grip on what their audience wants. Many are expecting a classic console, not a streaming console.

Well that can be difficult when so many want something different. As far as the people who want a classic console, they are all over the place on ebay. Get a used 2600. Or get an Atari Flashback. I don't see a problem at all with a gaming/internet streaming device. The more it can do the better. They definitely aren't going to compete with Xbox One and PS4 as far as graphics, so the more it can do the better. And sure older games are great but I've got enough just classic consoles and I like to play new games more, and just like to play the classics here and there such as Asteroids some. I have an Xbox One now and I'm not always playing the games that require the best graphics. I just got done playing The Cave a few days ago, not a very demanding game but very fun. Some of my favorite games I've played was the Telltale Walking Dead games, not very demanding in graphics. If the device can play games like that(and I'm sure it will be able to do more), play all of the old Atari classics, and is more open as far as what we can do with it than the other consoles as far as what apps we can install, and I can watch TV all from within the same place I say why not.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 2

Well that can be difficult when so many want something different. As far as the people who want a classic console, they are all over the place on ebay. Get a used 2600. Or get an Atari Flashback. I don't see a problem at all with a gaming/internet streaming device. The more it can do the better. They definitely aren't going to compete with Xbox One and PS4 as far as graphics, so the more it can do the better. And sure older games are great but I've got enough just classic consoles and I like to play new games more, and just like to play the classics here and there such as Asteroids some. I have an Xbox One now and I'm not always playing the games that require the best graphics. I just got done playing The Cave a few days ago, not a very demanding game but very fun. Some of my favorite games I've played was the Telltale Walking Dead games, not very demanding in graphics. If the device can play games like that(and I'm sure it will be able to do more), play all of the old Atari classics, and is more open as far as what we can do with it than the other consoles as far as what apps we can install, and I can watch TV all from within the same place I say why not.

I agree. If this device can do three things extremely well (Gaming, Streaming, Web Browsing), it has a legit shot to do well. From my perspective, the Ataribox is shaping up to a be a supercharged Nvidia Shield. However, only time will tell to see if they can pull everything together. The most important aspect they absolutely have to nail is the gaming. If they fail to do that, this device will go belly up real fast.

• Like 2

Anyways it was kind of fun to see the concept art for a five-switcher. I wonder where the cartridge went (!)

hehehattachicon.gif21371131_351158528655403_7540403675602993145_n.jpg

I've always thought the 2600 looked like an old 70's analog synthesizer. This just solidifies the thought in my mind.

Or maybe it's subliminal messaging to buy the synthcart and a pair of keyboard controllers.

• Like 1

Cool to see the joystick ports at the front where they should have gone. Whoever changed them to the back of the machine was a dolt.

Actually, I think that's the back in the second diagram.

Edit: Source: I have a heavy sixer and that's what the back looks like.

Edited by Rhindle the Dragon
  • Like 4

Ed asked great questions that required a response to most of the criticisms, omissions and sketchy history this effort brings with it. All I can say is anyone who decides to support the crowdfunding effort has had every opportunity to make an informed critical decision.

Caveat Auctor.

• Like 6

I respect Ed Fries, and like that he asked a lot of difficult questions. F-Mac is a good spin guy, I'll give him that.

Buzzword count, not including the mentions in questions?

Atari - 68 mentions

game - 62 mentions

want - 27 mentions

content - 19 mentions

brand - 12 mentions

Android - 12 mentions

Linux - 12 mentions

price - 10 mentions

crowdfund(ing) - 7 mentions

campaign - 5 mentions

Minecraft - 3 mentions

customer(s) - 3 mentions

Terraria - 2 mentions

release - 0 mentions

quality - 0 mentions

schedule - 0 mentions

• Like 6

The interview was good. The questions asked were great. Exactly the questions that all the people on the internet are asking and wondering.

The response to the price of 300 USD was very reasonable. The other big companies like Sony, Nintendo and Xbox have a lot of further costs for the Gamers.

For example: I wanted to play NBA 2K18 online with my friend. I usually play only by myself. He told me, if i want to play with him online i have to buy something like a Sony membership card for at least 1 month to play with him.

Playing Online was for free with the PS2 and PS3 generation but now its with extra costs.

Also with the Nintendo Switch. The controller is not very friendly for bigger adult hands or for long gaming sessions, so you have to buy an extra Controller which looks like the other controllers from Playstation or Xbox.

So thats another 70 Bucks. So the price for the Switch is not really 329,- but more of 399,-

What iam very curious is that he announced that there are still some surprises to be announced for this Ataribox.

I am still very positive and expect a consumerfriendly and decent Console which is intended for more than only playing Games.

Something like an all around Device: Do some shopping on amazon, then play a Game for 20 Minutes, after that watch an Episode of your favourite show on HBO and then discuss the Episode with other Fans via Chat or listen to some music while watching an NBA Game on your NBA Games Pass App on it.

Edited by alexkeaton
  • Like 3

The response to the price of 300 USD was very reasonable. The other big companies like Sony, Nintendo and Xbox have a lot of further costs for the Gamers.

For example: I wanted to play NBA 2K18 online with my friend. I usually play only by myself. He told me, if i want to play with him online i have to buy something like a Sony membership card for at least 1 month to play with him.

Playing Online was for free with the PS2 and PS3 generation but now its with extra costs.

Also with the Nintendo Switch. The controller is not very friendly for bigger adult hands or for long gaming sessions, so you have to buy an extra Controller which looks like the other controllers from Playstation or Xbox.

So thats another 70 Bucks. So the price for the Switch is not really 329,- but more of 399,-

What iam very curious is that he announced that there are still some surprises to be announced for this Ataribox.

I am still very positive and expect a consumerfriendly and decent Console which is intended for more than only playing Games.

Something like an all around Device: Do some shopping on amazon, then play a Game for 20 Minutes, after that watch an Episode of your favourite show on HBO and then discuss the Episode with other Fans via Chat or listen to some music while watching an NBA Game on your NBA Games Pass App on it.

I'd like to point out that the annual fees for PSN and Xbox Live Gold not only covers maintenance and participation in robust online networks and communities, but also "free" monthly games, and game discounts. It's actually a pretty high value proposition for gamers and gives both Sony and Microsoft reliable (and major) revenue streams. Regardless, if you want fee-free online gaming, there's always the PC, which brings us back to an earlier point that the Ataribox has a lot of present competition for doing the things that it does (consoles, streaming boxes, PCs, etc.). Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily count Atari out from any and all subscription fees at this point either. It's incredibly tempting to have recurring, reliable revenue, particularly for what Atari is trying to do.

In terms of extra costs for the Switch - or any console - we still don't know if the Ataribox will come with one or two controllers (or any), so we really don't know what additional costs there might be. And again, if they somehow hit their spring 2018 release target, prices on the current crop of hardware will almost certainly have dropped further by then. It's a risky price-point that they're intending to launch at.

With regards to the "surprises" comment, I took that to mean who they might get additional vintage game content from. I'd temper my expectations in that regard. It's highly unlikely to be anyone major and is probably going to be more of what we've already seen.

We also already know that they'll provide access to a selection of streaming services in the same way any Linux box can access such things. There's going to be some work integrating this stuff in the same way it's integrated on existing consoles and streaming boxes. It's unknown how much R&D will actually go into that, which may not make it competitive in those areas versus the solutions that already exist. We'll see, of course.

• Like 4

How are crowdfunders participants in bringing something to market.. other than being flunkies for giving away money?

---

In the interview they say that the console will NOT need to be hooked to an online service to provide great value. It's going to be a value out of the box for a long time to come. How's that?

---

Cool. They said EMULATOR and you can bring your own roms. So with this do we need RetroN77..? And if that's true, bring your own roms, then it instantly has hundreds of classics to choose from.

Edited by Keatah