IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'm a fan of the Atari that created videogames in the 70's and (early) 80's.

This isn't that "Atari".

You can be a fan of "Star Trek", but not like the J.J. Abrams movies.

You can be a fan of "James Bond", but not like the Daniel Craig movies.

You can be a fan of "Coleco", but not like the copyright trolls who own the brand now.

Atari fans aren't obligated to be fans of everything Atari-related.

The current owners of the Atari name have yet to produce anything that makes me believe they have the ability to pull this off. There are more than enough failed consoles out there to point to this being an uphill battle in the best of circumstances.

If people want to support them in this endeavor, more power to them. My point-of-view towards Atari and their box is: prove it. Then we'll see if I become a fan of this Atari.

I saw a random guy wearing an Atari t-shirt walking across a parking lot today. I should've asked if he'd buy a new $300 console from Atari. Or a $130 hat. Probably would've thought I was crazy. Or panhandler.

I just wanted to reiterate how well said this was.
  • Like 6

Please remember that "Ataribox" is not EVEN the current "Atari" ;)

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/atari-box-console-2017-specs

"The Atari that’s making the Ataribox has almost nothing to do with the company whose name it goes by. The three Atari companies, which all filed for bankruptcy in January 2013, re-emerged one year later under the stewardship of French financial consultant Frédéric Chesnais. As of March 2014, Atari had ten employees. Atari Interactive, the company making this console, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Atari, SA. a French holding company headquartered in Paris, which also owns Atari, Inc."

Will the real Slim "Atari" step forward?

So when Warner took over Atari was the "real" Atari? Lets sum it up, everyone here seams to either living nostalgia that in reality is complete nonsense as the company changed more hands the a Saturday night hooker. Lets stop kidding everyone and get our knowledge up first, that's the problem the ill informed are feeding the trolls. Serious start waking up people the beloved brand 'technically' lasted two bloody years not the 7+ people think... i really think you all have no idea what the difference is; what does the change of hand in 1982 compared to 2017 differ really? Exactly, Atari was like a Saturday night whore back in the day and hasn't changed. Delusional people acting like it's changed or something... Big fans aye?!

I think die-hard Atari fans would agree the first iteration of the company was short-lived. Technicalities and semantics and specifics aside. I believe the bigger picture is that most fans of Original Atari refer to

Original Atari lasting up to the end of the Jaguar days. To me, that is when Atari died. Anything after is a zombie lurching around without direction.

The difference, again, between 1982 Atari and 2017 atari is the type of product and how it is developed/marketed. 2017 atari has yet to produce anything that captivated me like the VCS did in 1977.

I'm not necessarily asking for another VCS-like product, but one that can enamor me and romance me like VCS did. Ohh yes it's possible. It happens on occasion even decades later.

As far as "Delusional people acting like it's changed or something..." They're not delusional at all. Just seeing things clearly. It has indeed changed. Even my non-classic-gamer colleagues even express it by saying things like, "What ever happened to Atari?" or "Wow that was was cool company that made those games, wish they were still around."

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

There were some truly innovative engineers back then. Even up until the PS3 era. After that all the companies (except maybe Nintendo) just went with x86 processors and some slightly different than consumer hardware. Gone are the days of custom chips and reasons why a game console and a computer are different. Now it is mostly just a difference in programming APIs, and software. Even then with MS converging the Xbox and Windows games, there is even less difference.

Even if the Ataribox gets made, it will just be a cool looking box running Atari Linux (maybe). Though to be honest, Atari GNU/Linux does seem kind of cool. Certainly cooler than Bionic Beaver.

Well all due respect i felt others were bullied out their opinions and i don't like that sort of activity. What's worse is those who google the Ataribox get reverted to a page of those mocking the brand, sad part is out of all forums it's an official Atari forum. As an long term Atari member i find that a horrible look, especially to those inquiring about a system never released. This is AA and people a drilling this project into the ground before it's even caught it's feet.

Yeah i will attack back with an cutthroat approach because after reading through the tread, people have just fallen out thinking it's a no win battle rather then constructive debate. I mean should we all put our hands up and say "you win the Ataribox is a POS even though we really don't know?". See what im saying? It's a little intimidating to those wanting this project to succeed and no one should have to feel they can't explain their thoughts.

I don't believe anyone in this thread is being bullied out of opinions.

If the atari brand is being mocked, well, then, they should change themselves into being something that is not mocked. Like make cool games and products. All I've seen and heard is something called a speaker hat, and some smartwatch which turned out to be different than what was originally stated. Nothing wrong in critically discussing that.

I'm not aware that AtariAge is officially sanctioned (and supported by) atari. This is very much a hobbyist/enthusiast site - run by and populated by same. If I'm wrong, please correct me!

The ataribox product has always appeared, to me, to lack direction and traction. Again, if I'm wrong, please inform me with supporting examples.

I don't want ataribox to succeed because of the way its marketed and there are so many uncertainties surrounding it. SHOW me something real and tangible that's neat, then, and only then, will I say, "Hey guys, this is pretty cool, check it out, remember that old Atari we had when we were kids? This is like that, but all modern and stuff. Cool, eh?"

But for now I reserve my praise and good will toward homebrewers of both hardware and software. I'm seeing the same spark and essence in many hb projects that I saw back in 1977-1981. The same creativity, the same energy, the same newness. The same sense of adventure and discovery shines right through.

Can new atari earn my compliments? It's possible, if they can do what hb'ers are doing. Unfortunately for them I see a lot of social media distractions and the need to talk about nothing real or concrete.

edit: fix spelling

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 5

Couldn't agree more.

Now, since it's been suggested some members opinions on these forums are somehow less relevant based on their registration date, can anyone recall if an account was required for the AtariAge store? I only ask because I've been a customer and follower of AtariAge since 2004 when I purchased my first Stelladaptor. I'm pretty sure I had a forum account back then, but I've moved at least twice since '04 and changed ISPs, and therefore email accounts. (I've only been intermittently active on forums, I can't imagine why.) I honestly wouldn't think it matters one wit, but since it came up, it made me curious to find the old account, but it's been 13 years. Don't want some cranky johnny come lately thinking they got some moral authority based on their registration date. ;-)

• Like 2

Now, since it's been suggested some members opinions on these forums are somehow less relevant based on their registration date

yea I thought that was amusing "your bulling, so YOU BETTER LISTEN TO ME cause I registered BEFORE YOU and have not participated much since then, you aint got cred or rep!" like seriously?

• Like 2

This is a widespread phenomenon in both online forums and in real physical life. I once posted a suggestion at an aerospace website - and was immediately shit-canned because "they" thought I had an attitude. Who the hell do you think you are, 7 posts and you're already telling us what to do. Thought I was brash and brazen for even at hinting that something be done differently. Narcissism is alive and well in group-think of all kinds. Me me me me and my way only. Alright then. Do it your way. I'll have fun here, while you stumble around over there.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

I mean do not have Ataribox (or Atari Lightwave which is a better name) to have Linux games run on it. Like from Steam. Do not make it open like a computer (which it is). Atari needs to have a SDK to handshake with its devlopers. Limit it to Atari games and third parties. That way you at talking hundreds of games and not millions (like on Android). A good way to do it is have a downloading service where only official licensed games from Atari and its third party developers can install games ont he Ataribox.

Also, the Ataribox (AKA Lightwave) NEEDS to have Apps like Netflix, Pandora, hulu, Facebook, YouTube, web browser and other popular social media on it from day 1. This is not an option.

I think for them to sell it, it is going to have to be an open system, there is no way I would buy it if it isn't(I seriously doubt I'll be buying it anyway). But yes of course have a section for Atari where they have there own store where you download games directly from them to get officially licensed games. And also even have a subsection under it for people sell the games on it but do it like Xbox Indie games was where the community approves the games and rates them. I would have to double check but I think MS got around 30 percent of sales for indies and Atari could do the same. Yes it will still be a lot of crap titles just like Xbox Indie games, but nobody forces anybody to buy them, and there were some good ones, and it was a separate section so the games weren't all mixed in with the big developer games so I don't see the issue there.

The smartwatch is unchanged. Delivery was delayed to December, but Backers were told of the delay in June.

According to the Gameband Kickstarter comments, they are claiming to have serious problems with watch USB-C cable. Several backers are getting frustrated with the updates, and what should be a standard item. There's also talk about the delayed testing schedule and the upcoming Chinese new year holiday, which suggests further delays.

It's hard to glean anything about it because they predictably keep their project updates private. Never a good sign for a product that intends to go to open market at any point. Fortunately the comments can't be buried.

FMTwo Game Inc. Creator 3 days ago

The USB-C thing is really frustrating us. While it seems like a simple thing, we believe it is really important to get right. That said, it is not a simple fix (given how little room we have to play with, and the IP68 spec). We're working it as hard as we can and will be back asap.

@everyone, we are a few days late on this week update basically as we are heads down on USB-C and how we can address it. Will get it out asap (and probably keep it short just focused on this one issue)! Thanks for your patience!

This is what's wrong with most crowd funded projects. There's little to no accountability for meeting project milestones. How does something so fundamental as the usb jack supporting a standard cable turn up a month after the scheduled delivery date, and many months from the professed prototype completion. There's a very good chance the real issues are more ugly, and this is a cover.

• Like 3