IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'm placing my bets in the Xbox 360 power level camp. Bill raises a good point that the only reason the original PS4 and Xbox One had the power and form factor they did was because of the weight of Sony and Microsoft developing the hardware. Plus, look at the form factor of the Ataribox protoypes. Its tiny, there's no way in hell you can fit a Playstation 4 in that, even when you remove the disc drive. If I am wrong I will very gladly eat my words.

For the good of all mankind, you owe it to the world to release their super secret backer only gameband updates so everyone can look forward to its inevitably successful retail premiere at a store near you soon. That or send it via PM whatever you like. ;-)

Seconded.

I hope the Ataribox succeeds, because I think it'll help the whole retro gaming wave that's currently going on. I don't think it'll be as popular as the NES classic mini or the SNES classic mini, both by Nintendo, but It'll be nice to see it do well... I hope, especially if they promote it right.

Hopefully it'll be capable of playing all original Atari 2600 games. From what I've read, it'll play 100+ games. I wonder if they'll have something like Xbox Live, where you can purchase video games via Internet connection. That would be nice.

I currently have an Atari 2600 (1978), original model, so I'll be sticking with that, because it works for me, but it'll be good to see the younger generation become interested in the Ataribox, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm probably in the minority, but I do like the design of the Ataribox (wood grain), especially its size. It looks like it has a modern look with a touch of Atari retro as well. I also like how it lights up in the front.

Ataribox.jpg

• Like 1

I'm placing my bets in the Xbox 360 power level camp. Bill raises a good point that the only reason the original PS4 and Xbox One had the power and form factor they did was because of the weight of Sony and Microsoft developing the hardware. Plus, look at the form factor of the Ataribox protoypes. Its tiny, there's no way in hell you can fit a Playstation 4 in that, even when you remove the disc drive. If I am wrong I will very gladly eat my words.

Seconded.

Actually it's not so much the weight of Sony and Microsoft, it's that they took a cash cut on the consoles (like they always do) and make their money by selling games. BUT, we're talking 4 year old hardware here. They can reduce the cost from the original price of 400 to 300 because it's going to be much cheaper to make now, and I'm betting the price loss difference per unit has gone down a lot. Who knows, maybe these are left over APUs from PS4/Xbox One. But then again if you look at the 'actual' (photoshopped?) size of the one next to the TV, it seems to be small enough to not have a whole lot of cooling, so very much likely less powerful as well.

Though to be honest, I'd almost rather a less powerful machine than one that whines like my PS4. Half the time while playing Horizon: Zero Dawn I can't tell if some beast is about to attack me, or if it's the machine whining while trying to draw the gorgeous scenery!

• Like 1

I hope the Ataribox succeeds, because I think it'll help the whole retro gaming wave that's currently going on. I don't think it'll be as popular as the NES classic mini or the SNES classic mini, both by Nintendo, but It'll be nice to see it do well... I hope, especially if they promote it right.

Hopefully it'll be capable of playing all original Atari 2600 games. From what I've read, it'll play 100+ games. I wonder if they'll have something like Xbox Live, where you can purchase video games via Internet connection. That would be nice.

I currently have an Atari 2600 (1978), original model, so I'll be sticking with that, because it works for me, but it'll be good to see the younger generation become interested in the Ataribox, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm probably in the minority, but I do like the design of the Ataribox (wood grain), especially its size. It looks like it has a modern look with a touch of Atari retro as well. I also like how it lights up in the front.

Ataribox.jpg

I do like the case, hell if someone wanted to make some of those and stick a raspberry pi in it and make all the LEDs work (what are those for, anyhow?) and sold it for 50 bucks, I'd probably get one and put RetroPi on it. I already have a mini NES-Like machine :) https://www.amazon.com/NES-case-Raspberry-Skool-Tools/dp/B01M4OOY4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510688265&sr=8-3&keywords=raspberry+pi+nes

• Like 1

It would be a challenge to be as popular as the NES/SNES Classics, because it will be several times the price and doesn't have the cache that those Nintendo properties do. To think an Ataribox will sell in the millions is a big stretch.

In terms of the 100 games, that's almost certainly in reference to including Atari Vault, which is almost certainly why Dreamcade Replay was denied usage.

In terms of an online store, they'd have to have some type of after-sale revenue source (profiting from console sales is not it), so that's a safe bet.

• Like 4

Though to be honest, I'd almost rather a less powerful machine than one that whines like my PS4. Half the time while playing Horizon: Zero Dawn I can't tell if some beast is about to attack me, or if it's the machine whining while trying to draw the gorgeous scenery!

This has been minimized in both newer models of PS4, and to an extraordinary degree in the Xbox One X. In any case, there's no way Atari or anyone associated with Atari has the same R&D capability as Sony or Microsoft does to pack powerful hardware into tiny spaces like that without active cooling. That's yet another argument against this exceeding first gen PS4 or Xbox One hardware, and brings to question meeting it.

So why can't someone like Google just pay 20-30 mil for Atari? Make it an American company, move to Florida where you can do things for 1/3 the price of SF/NY and get millions from the state like EA does?

Being HQed in New York is pretty expensive. If Atari moved to Orlando, they could do things real cheap. Cost of living is like 1/3. The state has a budget to pay technology companies to be here. Tiburon (EA Sports) is on Orlando and they make Madden and all those sports titles. they get paid millions of dollars a year just to be located here. If Atari is so cash strapped, then just move. (As always, I am available to be hired to help as a consultant, but Atari only responds back to me via e-mail with spam.)

• Like 1

Actually it's not so much the weight of Sony and Microsoft, it's that they took a cash cut on the consoles (like they always do) and make their money by selling games. BUT, we're talking 4 year old hardware here. They can reduce the cost from the original price of 400 to 300 because it's going to be much cheaper to make now, and I'm betting the price loss difference per unit has gone down a lot. Who knows, maybe these are left over APUs from PS4/Xbox One. But then again if you look at the 'actual' (photoshopped?) size of the one next to the TV, it seems to be small enough to not have a whole lot of cooling, so very much likely less powerful as well.

Sony said the PS4 was always profitable. I think it was $17/unit profit at launch. It's not like the PS3 where it cost $900 to build and they sold it for $600 (or whatever it was)

Like you said, it's now 4 year old hardware. PS4 Slims are going for $199 this holiday, no idea what the profit margin is on that or if there is one.

Of course Atari wouldn't have the volume discounts or economies of scale that Sony has, so it remains to be seen if they can deliver similar power for the price they are targeting.

This has been minimized in both newer models of PS4, and to an extraordinary degree in the Xbox One X. In any case, there's no way Atari or anyone associated with Atari has the same R&D capability as Sony or Microsoft does to pack powerful hardware into tiny spaces like that without active cooling. That's yet another argument against this exceeding first gen PS4 or Xbox One hardware, and brings to question meeting it.

See, if there were a proper partnership between Atari and AMD, rather than Atari just using their hardware, I think there could be more to it and it'd have greater potential. Then again if they had enough clout for that, they wouldn't be where they are at now (crowdfunding and playing smoke and mirrors).

Sony said the PS4 was always profitable. I think it was $17/unit profit at launch. It's not like the PS3 where it cost $900 to build and they sold it for $600 (or whatever it was)

Like you said, it's now 4 year old hardware. PS4 Slims are going for $199 this holiday, no idea what the profit margin is on that or if there is one.

Of course Atari wouldn't have the volume discounts or economies of scale that Sony has, so it remains to be seen if they can deliver similar power for the price they are targeting.

Ah, must have been the PS3 I was thinking about, wasn't aware it was that huge of a loss, but I knew it was a loss.

Damn... now if the PS4 Pro had dropped to 300, I'd consider giving my younger brother my PS4 and change for that, but then again I think the PS4 Pro isn't as quiet as the Slim (from what I'd read anyhow).

Plus I'm planning on getting a new house soon, so will have to take that into consideration.... So many toys, too little time, eh?

Why doesn't anyone buy the company? Because it's not worth $20M!

Why not move to Florida? Because they're in France!

I'd have to look at the stock and shares, but I think the market value is about that much. Also, you are confusing the Atari Inc which is in New York city with it's parent AtariSA in France. Besides, someone could just buy the name from Infogrames, combine the 3 sub companies and release independent games on the AtariMintBox. That way they won't be competing with the main console systems.

atarisa stock price is 36 euro cents a share with a market cap of 82.95mil euro.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

For anybody curious,

I looked into Atari stock just for the hell of it. Now, I'm no expert. That said, I wasn't sure if one could buy Atari stock (in the U.S.), but I figured it out. It's listed as:

Atari SA TARIF:Grey Market (Common Stock)

It's price as of today is $.458

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

It's volume is Often 0! As in nobody's buying, nobody's selling. It's 10 day average volume is 2.9K....Meaning, over time, it's as though about 3 people are spending about $500 on it...It moved up and down from about $.44 to $.458 over 3 months...Meaning if you'd invested $440, After commissions (If you weren't hit with fees (penny stocks have fees until they sell for over a dollar), you'd have made about $4 in 3 months if you were lucky enough to have a buyer the day you wanted out.

I know I'm not the first to point it out, but...

Seeing their renders, I think...If ataribox has some powerful processor, wouldn't they also need some heavy duty heat dissipation? I know technology advances over time, but my PS3 feels about like a radiator when it's running, and that's with fans blazing...

Seeing their renders, I think...If ataribox has some powerful processor, wouldn't they also need some heavy duty heat dissipation? I know technology advances over time, but my PS3 feels about like a radiator when it's running, and that's with fans blazing...

Yeah, I was commenting on something similar, both the PS3 and PS4 have heat / noise issues. So many of the Fat PS3s died due to over heating and cracked solder.

Ha, just thought about it, the secret is that AMD just rebuilt the 2600 in an FPGA and that's what they're putting in the Ataribox. :P

• Like 2

Something of a footnote to this:

Sony was able to pull off a double-whammy with the initial loss that they took on the PS3 hardware. The first part was getting the unit itself out into the marketplace, because at the price they would have had to retail it at based on the cost to build it nobody would have bought it. This helped the uptake, which in turn helped to assure a stream of software for it for the next decade.

The second part (and this is where the initial loss really paid off): at launch, the PS3 was about the cheapest Blu-Ray player you could get. Remember that this was back when Sony and Toshiba were still fighting the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD supremacy battle; by putting a Blu-Ray player into a gaming console, Sony was creating a captive market for their own disc format at a lower price point than was happening with actual Blu-Ray players.

Ultimately the victory was in Blu-Ray becoming the de facto successor to DVD, not so much the PS3's sales - but having racked up around 84 million of those (IIRC), the console didn't do at all badly for itself either.

• Like 2

I'd have to look at the stock and shares, but I think the market value is about that much. Also, you are confusing the Atari Inc which is in New York city with it's parent AtariSA in France. Besides, someone could just buy the name from Infogrames, combine the 3 sub companies and release independent games on the AtariMintBox. That way they won't be competing with the main console systems.

atarisa stock price is 36 euro cents a share with a market cap of 82.95mil euro.

Awesome YouTube channel. :)

• Like 1

Seeing their renders, I think...If ataribox has some powerful processor, wouldn't they also need some heavy duty heat dissipation?

No. Because the Ataribox is already so cool. Just ask anyone - 12 out of 10 fake Twitter users agree!

(Psst... #AtariLife™.)

• Like 2