IGNORED

Honey I Blew Up the CD32 Prices

Jess Ragan

I was telling a friend on another forum that I owned a CD32, and he responded with disbelief. "How the hell did you score one of those?" he asked. I didn't think it was that big of a deal... they were fairly common on eBay ten years ago, right? So I did a search to see where the prices were now.

Uh, holy crap.

What happened here? My understanding is that a factory in the Philippines had a ton of CD32 systems that they were trying to liquidate. Apparently they managed to sell all the units years ago, because what was plentiful in 2007 is anything but now. I can only find a handful of CD32s on eBay, and they're typically $400; sometimes more depending on their condition. What accounts for the sudden explosive interest in this system?

Your post made me wonder, so i check prices in the Netherlands and Germany, and yes indeed, prices have sky rocketed. 240+ euro for only the console. I wanted a spare, because mine has some trouble reading discs. But i think i just going to try and replace the laser unit, and see if it fixes the problems. I already fixed the reversed installed sound capacitors, and hacked a a500 keyboard for use with my cd32. But i mostly play games on my stock a500 with usb floppy emulator.

I got really lucky with the cd32, got it for free when i bought my cdtv from the same guy for only 25 euro. It had a rusted backplate and some connecters had rust on them, but otherwise the console was in not to bad of a shape.