Photo

RetroN 77

2630 replies to this topic

#826 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,848 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:53 PM

They can use the latest version of Stella and follow the GPL rules. There is no reason, absolutely no reason why they can't. If it's a prior internal business deal or pride something, then fuck'em again. Not our problem. If they're so guarded on some bit of interface code, fuck'em again. It's not the key to decrypting AES-256 on a 6502, now, is it?

#827 stephena ONLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:24 AM

They can use the latest version of Stella and follow the GPL rules. There is no reason, absolutely no reason why they can't.

This is true.  I personally don't think following the rules is a big deal.  You're essentially getting 10's of thousands of hours of development for free.  The only price you 'pay' (if you can call it that) is you have to release any changes you make to the codebase.  You don't have to release any of your own stuff not directly related to Stella.  Of course a donation to the project would be appreciated, but even that is optional.  It is literally one of the best deals anyone could hope for.

#828 TokyoBatman OFFLINE  

TokyoBatman

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 8:30 AM

This is true.  I personally don't think following the rules is a big deal.  You're essentially getting 10's of thousands of hours of development for free.  The only price you 'pay' (if you can call it that) is you have to release any changes you make to the codebase.  You don't have to release any of your own stuff not directly related to Stella.  Of course a donation to the project would be appreciated, but even that is optional.  It is literally one of the best deals anyone could hope for.

And an easier work around would be to use the cart reader to dump the rom to flash memory and then send it to the newest version of stella.

I'm just wondering, as I'm sure, many others, if Atari is trying stop them with a court order... Or tie things up in court... Less competition to their upcoming ataribox?

They shut down the Atari book out of the blue... That was on Kickstarter.

A lot of speculation until we hear an official statement.

#829 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,848 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 9:38 AM

Atari book? What is/was that? And atari shutting down competition is lame. The real Atari generated business through great products.

#830 lapetino OFFLINE  

lapetino

Dragonstomper

• 555 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 10:45 AM

Atari book? What is/was that? And atari shutting down competition is lame. The real Atari generated business through great products.

The original Atari also shut down pirates and people using their intellectual property without asking, and were pretty litigious too. Activision, anyone?

#831 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,385 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:37 PM

And an easier work around would be to use the cart reader to dump the rom to flash memory and then send it to the newest version of stella.

I'm just wondering, as I'm sure, many others, if Atari is trying stop them with a court order... Or tie things up in court... Less competition to their upcoming ataribox?

They shut down the Atari book out of the blue... That was on Kickstarter.

A lot of speculation until we hear an official statement.

Nintendo tried and failed to shut down NES clones in 2004 with the Generation Nex, opening the floodgates so to speak. So if anyone wants to design a hardware clone for any system with expired patents, they are free to do so and there is legal precedent. They just can't bundle copyrighted games they do not own the rights to.

#832 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,949 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 8:09 PM

Atari has a history of filing lawsuits with or without a case.

#833 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

[EXPLETIVE DELETED]

• 15,433 posts

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:21 AM

The "real" Atari got the wonderful KC Munchkin taken off the market so Bonk Bonk Doot (which Atari called "Pac-Man," go figure) could suck up all the money.

#834 frankodragon OFFLINE  

frankodragon

Quadrunner

• 5,220 posts
  • Tacos are real and delicious.

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:32 AM

Here's a  thread about Atari's legal battles over other companies but that was back in 2006:   https://atariage.com...tari-sued-over/

#835 TokyoBatman OFFLINE  

TokyoBatman

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:35 PM

The book by Marc, from atariage.

http://atariage.com/...kstarter/page-1

#836 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,385 posts

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 10:05 PM

Here's a  thread about Atari's legal battles over other companies but that was back in 2006:   https://atariage.com...tari-sued-over/

The book by Marc, from atariage.

http://atariage.com/...kstarter/page-1

That blows dude. Ironically, Nintendo who actually cares about their fanbase, did nothing to thwart the many books written about them...

#837 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,208 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 8:46 AM

That blows dude. Ironically, Nintendo who actually cares about their fanbase, did nothing to thwart the many books written about them...

Nintendo is anything but a good example. They go after fan stuff all the time. A better example is Sega, who has generally been pretty good about such things.

#838 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,217 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:09 AM

Latest message from hyperkin:

When we debuted the RetroN 77 at E3, it was VERY early in development. Trust us when we say it is still being developed, but we do not have any further updates.

#839 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,848 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:27 AM

Well that is nice..

#840 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 12:42 PM

Perhaps then they are doing a redesign given the limitations of using an older version of Stella. I can continue to hold out hope that they will produce something awesome that plays classic titles and recent homebrews well. :)

#841 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,385 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 PM

BUMP. Someone please tell me this project isn't dead. :sad:

#842 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,217 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:08 AM

They keep telling me it isn't dead but they won't announce anything until their ready which may be next year at this point. I find their complete silence on it very curious too.

#843 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,413 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:35 AM

SOMEBODY TAKE MY @#$%MONEY FOR THIS!!!

Seriously. If it really comes out I'm getting several.

#844 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 958 posts
  • Enjoying 8 bit gaming in HD!

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:43 AM

I've already given up hope it will be released.  Until then, I've got a new Atari Flashback 8 Gold Deluxe HD to keep me busy!  :grin:

Edited by atarifan88, Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:43 AM.

#845 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,217 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 PM

So this got posted on Hyperkins facebook page today

Some of our CES Starting Lineup!!!! If you're a media outlet, please send an email to media@hyperkin.com to get a tour of our suite today or tomorrow only! — at International CES - Consumer Electronics Show.

Attached Thumbnails

• retron 77.jpg

#846 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

[EXPLETIVE DELETED]

• 15,433 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 PM

All the cartridges you can eat

#847 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,385 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 PM

This is the single best news I've heard in a long time... :D

I wonder if it plays Draconian? :P

#848 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 958 posts
  • Enjoying 8 bit gaming in HD!

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 AM

Until it's being sold online or in the stores, it's just propaganda...

#849 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 AM

This is the single best news I've heard in a long time... :D

I wonder if it plays Draconian? :P

If it does, they are very likely violating the GPL.

Edited by DirtyHairy, Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 AM.

#850 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 AM

If it does, they are very likely violating the GPL.

There are a number of ways that they could be running a GPL'd emulator without violating the GPL, as discussed earlier in this topic.  Also, they only have to release source code changes at the time they distribute the binaries.  If they are just doing demos right now, then they don't have to release their source code changes (if any) until they do.

I'm still holding out hope that they use a current version of Stella in a way that does not violate the GPL.  This is achievable, and could make for a great product in the end.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users