RetroN 77

2367 replies to this topic

#2351 SIO2 ONLINE  

SIO2

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 8:27 PM

IMG_20180804_201647.jpg

Finally got a label made. I know it is no longer necessary but it is convenient and it feels better having a cart in the console.

#2352 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,462 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 1:41 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_20180804_201647.jpg
Finally got a label made. I know it is no longer necessary but it is convenient and it feels better having a cart in the console.

We need someone to construct a simple passthrough adapter with the necessary pins bridged. Then it would work with non-standard pcbs which don't jump electrical ground (minus or 0v) to shield ground.

#2353 SIO2 ONLINE  

SIO2

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:35 AM

What amazes me is that for all those years, Atari installed the cart slots in their machines backwards and labeled all those millions of carts upside-down.  

#2354 SIO2 ONLINE  

SIO2

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:00 AM

whichof.jpg

Which of these things is not like the others?

#2355 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,462 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:12 AM

I'm just guessing, but it could be because Stella by default outputs sound at 31400Hz, which is maybe not a standard sample rate for the capture card.  The next major release of Stella will include sound resampling, letting you use either 44.1 or 48 KHz output, which all devices should support.

Not that this will help you right now on the R77, of course.  Yet another reason to get the latest version of Stella on this device :)

I would imagine that the Retron is using an hdmi driver with a standard sample rate for output, ie 48khz or 44.1khz, regardless of internal sample rate. Depending on how good the scalar is, there might be off color harmonics involved with sampling, especially if it uses nearest neighbor instead of bilinear.

Someone asked Kevtris in the fpga forum why the super nt cannot be configured to output at 32khz (native snes sample rate) instead if 48khz, and he said some televisions or audio equipment might not like 32khz. And 32000khz is a lot more standard than 31400. In fact due to the Super NT sampling at 48000khz, the audio produced is higher quality that original hardware. Pcm samples were rendered at 32000khz and upsampled, but the midi instruments and mixing are done at 48khz and with less audio filtering, giving a crisper sound

I'm not sure what the internal clock of a TIA is but it's probably in the mhz range and uses a divider to produce audible frequencies. So it could be resampled to match native 48khz output over hdmi, but this would involve rewriting parts of the stella code source. I can see why Stephena is reluctant to rewrite old parts of the codebase.

#2356 gorfcadet ONLINE  

gorfcadet

Stargunner

• 1,171 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:58 AM

attachicon.gifwhichof.jpg

LOVE the blue cart and the label the looks right from the Retron77's front angle!!!

#2357 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,256 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 12:29 PM

So it could be resampled to match native 48khz output over hdmi, but this would involve rewriting parts of the stella code source. I can see why Stephena is reluctant to rewrite old parts of the codebase.

Not just reluctant, but nearly impossible at this point.  Just in non-sound stuff alone, the differences in Stella 3.x and 5.x are huge.  With the next release, we're bumping the number to 6.0, since the changes internally are so great.  I suspect the difference between 3.x and the upcoming 6.x is approx. half the code has been rewritten (of a 230,000 LOC codebase).

The sound improvements coming up are huge, and are based on Crispy's analysis done in his FPGA work and creating HDMI output for that device.  It includes cycle-exact audio, and resampling to 44100, 48000 or 96000 Hz.  And several different sampling algorithms too (include both simple/fast one and a slow/accurate Lanczos-based one).

This will solve all such issues on the R77, once the latest versions of Stella can run there.

#2358 harlock76 OFFLINE  

harlock76

Chopper Commander

• 156 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:49 PM

are the gemini controlers compatible with retron 77 ?

#2359 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,462 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 12:16 AM

are the gemini controlers compatible with retron 77 ?

unfortunately no. They have built in paddles so joystick control is disabled unfortnately.

#2360 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 820 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:17 AM

attachicon.gifwhichof.jpg

Love the Tac2 joysticks!  I have a set and they have lasted longer then any other model I've used.  Hyperkin could learn a thing or two about making quality joysticks if they had one of those!  :lol:

#2361 SIO2 ONLINE  

SIO2

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 5:58 PM

So, Retron 77 is over a month old now.  Released on the 7th of July (anniversary of ... Roswell NM crash).  Possible extra terrestrial involvement?  Ancient alien theorists say yup.  Before Roswell = no video games.  After Roswell = video games (eventually).  I think that also explains why there was only one button on the original joystick.  You don't want to know what the aliens pressed that button with.  :)

#2362 StuOhQ OFFLINE  

StuOhQ

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 11:43 PM

So, Retron 77 is over a month old now.  Released on the 7th of July (anniversary of ... Roswell NM crash).  Possible extra terrestrial involvement?  Ancient alien theorists say yup.  Before Roswell = no video games.  After Roswell = video games (eventually).  I think that also explains why there was only one button on the original joystick.  You don't want to know what the aliens pressed that button with.  :)

I like this theory haha. I'm enjoying the Retron 77 immensely, and I'm glad to see that the community is working towards making it a better, more compatible, product!

#2363 Coolcrab OFFLINE  

Coolcrab

Chopper Commander

• 212 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:01 AM

I like this theory haha. I'm enjoying the Retron 77 immensely, and I'm glad to see that the community is working towards making it a better, more compatible, product!

And hyperkin themselves! I hope that they are not done with updates.

#2364 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,469 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:14 AM

And hyperkin themselves! I hope that they are not done with updates.

I doubt they are. I have a good friend who is a fairly well known Youtube personality that beta tests for them. They are very small, and their communication is... poor. But they will generally push out (generally with no warning) a couple of updates to most of their products. 

#2365 Coolcrab OFFLINE  

Coolcrab

Chopper Commander

• 212 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:04 PM

I doubt they are. I have a good friend who is a fairly well known Youtube personality that beta tests for them. They are very small, and their communication is... poor. But they will generally push out (generally with no warning) a couple of updates to most of their products. 

That would be great. I think that an updated Stella for the new batch would work wonders. 

#2366 Sandro Butcher OFFLINE  

Sandro Butcher

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 AM

Can any forum member help me? I want to record the Remo image on an SD card but can not find a 128mb card, until the SD card memory size of the Retron 77 is accepted?

Edited by Sandro Butcher, Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 AM.

#2367 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,512 posts

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:07 PM

Can any forum member help me? I want to record the Remo image on an SD card but can not find a 128mb card, until the SD card memory size of the Retron 77 is accepted?

You should be able to use larger microSD cards with the image - the one in my Retron 77 is currently 2GB.

#2368 Sandro Butcher OFFLINE  

Sandro Butcher

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:36 AM

You should be able to use larger microSD cards with the image - the one in my Retron 77 is currently 2GB.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users