IGNORED

Frying on emulators...

Dauber

Just wondering...are there any VCS emulators for Winblows or Amiga that simulate "frying"???

Also...any Amiga users having any luck with the VCS emulators available? I have an '060 CPU and the things are so bloody slow. Heck, even the short time I had a PowerPC they were just as slow, although they're supposed to all be normal speed.... :?

Dunno (?)

Frying a game causes the program counter to jump a few bytes past where code actually begins, I think :? Couldn't you use PC Atari (PCAE) to "NOP" over a few instructions in the program code (using the value $EA)? Or is that something different?

I just hack the program code when I wanna cheat ;)

I just know that the "double firing" trick on 2600 Space Invaders DOESN'T require any "frying". Interestingly, the same simple trick of holding down the Reset button or switch when you turn on your game system and then releasing it when the game screen appears also works on the Z26 emulator...the only thing now is to hold down the key used for the Reset button between the time you select the game (assuming you're using a front-end program with your Z26) and the time the game screen actually appears onscreen, and then release it afterward.

Well, I guess "frying" could be easily implemented in an emulator (e.g just start at a random address).  

But the problems is, that AFAIK nobody knows exactly how frying works.

Actually, perhaps frying is when it starts at the normal address, but with random garbage in the memory that needs to be initialized (for some games)????

Actually, perhaps frying is when it starts at the normal address, but with random garbage in the memory that needs to be initialized (for some games)????

When a game starts at its normal address, the very first thing that is usually done is to initialize the hardware registers and the RAM. If you skip that part, by jumping somewhere into the code, those contents are completely unpredictable and cause the surprising frying effects.

Interestingly, the same simple trick of holding down the Reset button or switch when you turn on your game system and then releasing it when the game screen appears also works on the Z26 emulator....

I think this trick was deliberately programmed into Space Invaders, so naturally it would work the same in an emulator as on a real system.

Can anyone confirm this? Thomas, have you disassembled Space Invaders?

• 10 years later...

I don't know how Stella, today, simulates frying. But wouldn't you have to do the following, and perhaps more?

1- randomize the RAM area.

2- randomize the CPU registers, stack, and all that.

3- put the tia and riot in an unknown state once the program has started running.

4- randomize the starting address of the program.