IGNORED

Music Rainbow Brite for the ColecoVision

newcoleco

Good morning everyone! :waving:

No, this is not clickbait... it's real.

To celebrate the 35th anniversary of the ColecoVision game system

To show my music composing talent

And to show how I don't care about drama, about being imposed restrictions in my hobby.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

:music: RAINBOW BRITEtm JUKEBOX :music:

MUSIC FOR THE ADAM COMPUTER, COLECOVISION AND COMPATIBLE SYSTEMS

BY NEWCOLECO AKA DANIEL BIENVENU

Please leave a like and comment!

Enjoy!

ROM FILE : RAINBOW BRITE JUKEBOX 2017.zip

SOURCE FILE : RAINBOW BRITE JUKEBOX 2017 (SRC FILES).zip

FAQ :?

Q: Software to make the music?

A: My own software CVSoundGen.zip and 2 days of patience and listening the theme song in chunks with Audacity.

Q: Development kit?

A: My own kit based on Marcel deKogel's devkit released in 1998 and adapted to work with SDCC compiler.

Q: Can I use this music and sounds for my own projects?

A: No, unless I tell you otherwise.

Q: Will there be a playable game Rainbow Brite for the ColecoVision?

A: Maybe, maybe not.

Q: Why you decided to make a jukebox with the Rainbow Brite theme song?

A: For fun. First time ever I've heard the music and I quite like how catchy and groovy it sounds as a chiptune.

• Like 12

That's pretty cool. Its like guess the retro game sound effect with the nostalgia trip: What was I doing in 1982 when I heard that sound effect. I think one was a little hard to hear, but could just be my hearing.

I assure you that the sequences shared by both musics are played at the same volume.

The music has nuances, softer parts within louder parts, which is more exposed in the extended version.

Playing a softer music part right after a normal or louder part tends to make it sounds quieter than it is, which is an illusion, it seems "difficult to hear".

I can see 2 reasons to put nuances like this in a music: it gives a break to our ears in long music pieces, and it tricks our mind to think that the next part is louder than it is which is often used to put emphasis on the upcoming ending, grand finale.

There is that and also with time we lose the capacity to hear high pitch notes which removes some sounds to be heard fully, missing some richer sounds in a music piece.

The original material I've listen to make the extended version is the "French Rainbow Brite Theme Song" from the Multimedia section of this Rainbow Brite web site. If you listen to it, you will notice the nuances of softer parts within normal/loud parts.

Edited by newcoleco

I assure you that the sequences shared by both musics are played at the same volume.

The music has nuances, softer parts within louder parts, which is more exposed in the extended version.

Playing a softer music part right after a normal or louder part tends to make it sounds quieter than it is, which is an illusion, it seems "difficult to hear".

I can see 2 reasons to put nuances like this in a music: it gives a break to our ears in long music pieces, and it tricks our mind to think that the next part is louder than it is which is often used to put emphasis on the upcoming ending, grand finale.

There is that and also with time we lose the capacity to hear high pitch notes which removes some sounds to be heard fully, missing some richer sounds in a music piece.

The original material I've listen to make the extended version is the "French Rainbow Brite Theme Song" from the Multimedia section of this Rainbow Brite web site. If you listen to it, you will notice the nuances of softer parts within normal/loud parts.

Sorry, that wasn't very well written. What I intended to say was that sound effect for key#1 was soft compared to the rainbow brite music. But I think it it is more of a babbling brook or electric hum sound compared to the alarm and firing sounds of the others.

• Like 1

Sorry, that wasn't very well written. What I intended to say was that sound effect for key#1 was soft compared to the rainbow brite music. But I think it it is more of a babbling brook or electric hum sound compared to the alarm and firing sounds of the others.

Ah! I see!

Well, these sound effects are from my game Flora and the Ghost Mirror. That's what we call "place holders" to test and also have fun to try playing sound effects while the music play, which is a good way to see if it sounds good, if it works as background music for a game. Remember that the sound chip has only 3 TONE channels.