TI(ny)-99/4A Computer

219 replies to this topic

#201 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 497 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 AM

HDMI out? SID support. WiFi tipi and USB?

This computer only uses year 80 technologies, based on corrected TI-99/4A schematics, integrating features that were optionnals or proposed by third-party companies for the 99/4A in year 80-90.  it's my initial will, my pleasure.

So here, no USB, no WIFI, no ARM, no FPGA, no HDMI or any other modern technogies. That said,  I made this computer to react as the real 99/4A, so I suppose they should work on it too.

One question Fabrice: Is the keyboard going to be QWERTY like the original US version or will you have different geographic variants?

Only my prototype extended keyboard is AZERTY. The final extended keyboard is QWERTY to respect the spirit of the original computer :)

• sometimes99er , Tursi , ti99iuc and 5 others like this

#202 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 497 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 AM

Wow impressive! Do not want to sidetrack, but what would it take to make a tomy tutor version of the keyboard?

Thank you :)

I have never studied the keypress decoding operations on the Tomy Tutor (alas, never found the Tutor schematics) but, as this computer doesn't use the TMS9901, I can say that my extended keyboard will not work with the Tutor.

Edited by fabrice montupet, Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 PM.

#203 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Moonsweeper

• 435 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:40 PM

"this computer doesn't use the TMS9901"...

How can one call a system TI-99/4a compatible(just kidding, sort of) w/o a good ol' 9901... :twisted:

...If you're not going to install the 9901, perhaps you should remove it from the parts list ...to save on production costs! ;-) :D

#204 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 881 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:33 PM

"this computer doesn't use the TMS9901"...

How can one call a system TI-99/4a compatible(just kidding, sort of) w/o a good ol' 9901... :twisted:

...If you're not going to install the 9901, perhaps you should remove it from the parts list ...to save on production costs! ;-) :D

He means the Tomy Tutor doesn't use the 9901 ...   ;-)

• fabrice montupet likes this

#205 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Moonsweeper

• 435 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 PM

Doi! :dunce:

I've gone and done it again...

...spoke too soon... :roll:

Thanx. :lol:

#206 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 497 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 PM

;)

• HOME AUTOMATION likes this

#207 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Moonsweeper

• 435 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 PM

Apparently your English is better than my french today. :) 

#208 AwkwardPotato ONLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 PM

Sorry if this was answered earlier, but when this becomes available, will it be possible to purchase just the assembled motherboard by itself? BTW, this project looks absolutely amazing.

Thanks in advance!

#209 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 497 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:25 AM

Thank you for the compliment.

It has been asked several times. And as I said before, only assembled motherboard and keyboard will be available.

• Tursi likes this

#210 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Moonsweeper

• 435 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 AM

It has been difficult... to find a way to indicate my emotional relationship to the direction your TI project has followed. Perhaps something somewhat akin to jealousy. I believe I have some idea just how much of themselves one can put into their efforts. After due considerations and having reviewed this entire topic, your work has earned my highest ranking... "TOPS".

• Ksarul and Odo like this

#211 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,585 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:02 PM

Fabrice,

Any update on pricing and availability ?

• RickyDean likes this

#212 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 497 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:36 PM

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay of my answer, I am very busy since some weeks.

About the Tiny-99/4A v2 computer:

I am face to little problems:  All the IC suppliers that I have contacted have not answered to my tariff request. It's incredible! Maybe they are too rich ;)  So, I have to contact new suppliers.
The keyboard that I have developped for the computer is mainly based on the Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX keyboard (plus the numpad). Once again, I have difficulties to find the keycaps for it, and for a reasonable price.
As the TI-99/4A keys writings differs from the PC keys, I have to find white letters/numbers/punctuation stickers.   I still haven't found the good ones.

I finally wonder if I shouldn't propose the TIny-99/4A v2 as bare motherboard and keyboard PCBs. Sure, I will be a little bit desapointed but if I don't find a serious serious IC supplier, I will make this decision.

Tomorrow I wil take a picture of the finalized keybard (the serial product). To my mind, it is very pleasant ! Hope it will be appreciated by all :)

• Tursi , retroclouds , ti99iuc and 8 others like this

#213 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,585 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 PM

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay of my answer, I am very busy since some weeks.

About the Tiny-99/4A v2 computer:

I am face to little problems:  All the IC suppliers that I have contacted have not answered to my tariff request. It's incredible! Maybe they are too rich ;)  So, I have to contact new suppliers.
The keyboard that I have developped for the computer is mainly based on the Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX keyboard (plus the numpad). Once again, I have difficulties to find the keycaps for it, and for a reasonable price.
As the TI-99/4A keys writings differs from the PC keys, I have to find white letters/numbers/punctuation stickers.   I still haven't found the good ones.

I finally wonder if I shouldn't propose the TIny-99/4A v2 as bare motherboard and keyboard PCBs. Sure, I will be a little bit desapointed but if I don't find a serious serious IC supplier, I will make this decision.

Tomorrow I wil take a picture of the finalized keybard (the serial product). To my mind, it is very pleasant ! Hope it will be appreciated by all :)

We all appreciate all your efforts.  I am sure it would be disappointing not to be able to offer the product as you see it.  I know even if it's offered as a bare build it yourself board TI'ers are going to jump on it.  I know I will.

Edited by Shift838, Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 PM.

• digdugnate and mglafond like this

#214 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• 431 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:55 AM

I think offering a bare PCB would be a great idea.  Many of us have parts already and I certainly wouldn't mind sourcing my own parts.

Plus, this give me the option of "buying it in payments".  Meaning, that I may not have the money to buy the board and all components at once but I could spread those acquisitions out over time.  Many times, I make small orders from Mouser and add misc components that I need from many projects.

Thanks for all that you do.

• ti99iuc , arcadeshopper , Vorticon and 5 others like this

#215 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Stargunner

• 1,141 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 AM

I'm definitely in boards. I have a lot of parts too. I'm about to finish the TM9900 board I got from Stuart.

Edited by RickyDean, Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 AM.

#216 mglafond OFFLINE  

mglafond

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 AM

Fabrice,

Thank you for all of your hard work developing such an elegant design! I, for one, would be more interested in bare PCBs as it would allow me the pleasure of building it myself. That alone would help justify the price of the computer.

Edited by mglafond, Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:17 AM.

#217 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 952 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 AM

I guess I am a bit more interested in one built. What kind of price range would that be? Just trying to get an idea if it is $50 USD <grin> or $1,000 USD? Just a ballpark figure as I know you are still trying to get best pricing on parts.

Beery
  • Tursi likes this

#218 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,429 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 AM

thanks for the update, Fabrice!  I'm still interested, one way or another- though if it's bareboard only, I'll likely be 99 before I can put it together ;)

and also.. this is obviously a labor of love.  It's fascinating to see the process.

#219 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,316 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 PM

I'll take one either way you go with it, Fabrice. If it is a bare one, I will have a lot of fun assembling it (and using it too), and if it is fully assembled, I will enjoy looking at the beauty of your work (and using it). I win either way!  :)  Thank you for doing this. . .

• RickyDean and Odo like this

#220 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,664 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 PM

I'm on the pre-built side as well, though I'm also on the edge of my seat waiting for an estimated price. ;)
  • arcadeshopper and Sinphaltimus like this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users