IGNORED

New keyboard membranes

Duddie

I am going to manufacture new keyboard membranes for 800XL and XE series (for keyboard with springs). Maybe also for 1200XL. Would be here any interest? Price $25 for XL and XE. 1200XL would be slightly more expensive.

• Like 8

Is there any advantage to this than the $22 XE one listed at Best Electronics? I haven't actually ordered anything yet from Best myself before, maybe minimum orders/shipping are a factor there. I may be in the market for a few of these if my attempts to repair fail.

Hello Nezgar, I don't know quality of their membranes. Best Electronics sells usually NOS things, therefore their membranes, although new, may be 30+ years old. Mine will be freshly manufactured. I haven't decided that I make them for sure. If demand is too low, I cannot make it, because production preparation is very expensive.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am interested in two - one for an 800XL and one for a 130XE. I must check what type my 130 keyboard is before deciding, so it might be only one.

Kind regards,

Klas

Edited by KlasO

I am going to manufacture new keyboard membranes for 800XL and XE series (for keyboard with springs). Maybe also for 1200XL. Would be here any interest? Price $25 for XL and XE. 1200XL would be slightly more expensive.

Hi,

you wrote "800XL"... new membrane for the Stackpole keyboard with metal back plate?

BR JUrgen

While Best does sell mostly NOS stock, he does create some new replacement parts. The Mylar is one of those parts. However, if they have them in stock, the $22 might not be a great deal when you take into account the shipping to Europe. However, for the one American person in the thread, I would contact Best first if you need a new keyboard membrane. His website is hard to search because it is so antiquated but the part number appears to be CB101049 (Best upgraded Atari New XE Keyboard replacement internal Mylar).

I haven't needed to purchase a replacement Mylar, but I've been very happy with his upgraded CX-40 joystick. I am not saying not to do this, but I would check with Brad first to see if he already has a modern replacement before you recreate the wheel.

Bob C

1200XL: good idea!

There are at least three different "spring design" 800XL keyboards. Some are MUCH BETTER than others.

The "spring design" xe keyboard sucks only marginally less than the "cup design".. The XE just needs a new keyboard altogether, or its always gonna feel like cheap trash compared to the XLs..

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 1

I have yet to find a 1200XL keyboard that couldn't be restored. The problem with the 1200XL is that little 1/4" x 2" tape sandwiched between the Mylar and PCB traces. I guess it's purpose was to raise the PCB contact pads to insure they made good contact on the Mylar. It apparently oxidizes and it loses continuity. In hindsight, if Mitsumi left that out of the design, a lot of these keyboard would still be Code 1 (USAF slang for no write ups) today. The Retrobits fix is not for everyone, but if you have patience and take your time, it's not a difficult fix. A replacement Mylar is a welcome option!

Not sure, but my guess is that Mitsumi used a graphite based conductive trace.

Edited by ACML

For reference ...

From BEST Website:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/130xe.htm#TT

"65XE / 130XE Mitsumi(56-3217, part number on Mylar) made XE Keyboard, single layer Mylar. This Best Electronics Manufactured replacement Keyboard Mylar is an Improved version over the stock Atari keyboard Mylar! Each Best replacement Mylar has a thin dielectric Protective coating over the complete Mylar except the conductive key contact pads. This conductive coating gives your replacement Best Mylar the Best Resistance to flexure cracks on Silk screened traces and prevents internal keyboard Mylar supports from wearing or rubbing away traces. Its also prevents tiny objects that drop thru the Keyboard from wearing or shorting out keyboard traces. This replacement Mylar also has 1/4 inch longer extended Traces on the connector side of the Mylar so they can be trimmed back if required. One way you can tell if you have a Mitsumi version XE keyboard is to pull off one key cap. It is best to pry off a key cap using two small straight blade screw drivers, one a 12 and 6 O’ clock positions. The Mitsumi XE keyboard will have a spring under each key cap." $22.00

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/1200XL%20keyboard%20Mylar.htm

"The New Best Upgraded Lifetime Atari 1200XL Keyboard Mylar CB103156 $39.95"

• Like 3

I have purchased and installed the 1200XL and 800XL Best Mylars and they work great. The 1200XL especially so!! I would recommend it. But the shipping costs maybe an issue for many. (not for me as Best 1/2 mile from my office)

But for the 65/800/130XE's, well, I agree with all above in that a mylar will help for a units that as been in barn for years. A new keyboard would be a major benefit, and what is really need for these.

Hi,

you wrote "800XL"... new membrane for the Stackpole keyboard with metal back plate?

BR JUrgen

Yes Jurgen. AFAIK, there are 5 different XL keyboards, four of them have membranes. But it is the same membrane.

All of you can send your pre-orders to jurek (at) retronics (dot) eu - mylars will be available around August (limited number). For now, I will have 800XL mylar and spring version of XE mylar. Others to be considered, you can declare your interest too.