IGNORED

Vectrex Noob Questions - Please Help!

redrumh2o

Hello everyone!

Long story short, I am new to the Vectrex world and I have a few noob questions I could not figure out. I do not have one yet, but will be getting one this summer. I have not played one for about 25-30 years, but I have fond childhood memories of playing one with my dad who is no longer with us. I actually did not even figure out what it was we played until a few months ago. Anyways....here are my questions.....any help would be greatly appreciated

1) Multicarts - I am not looking to collect games, and would love everything in one package. Is the quality of a multicart the same as buying the regular games? I would still use overlays and would buy reproductions.. Would a Multicart me the way to go?

2) VecFever?? - So I sort of understand the upcoming Vecfever, but not really. Basically it was be a Multicart that lights up and has some homebrew games on it? I am not interested in the developmental stuff so all that stuff confuses me, as did the FAQ. Would I me wise to wait for one? Is it easy to upload the ROMs and would the quality still be as good as carts?

3) Buzz - How much buzz is acceptable when trying out systems? Again I have not even touched one in 25-30 years so I have no memory. Should I still hear it over the game play?

4) Skins - I have seen some systems with graphic skins on the outside and the controller. Are these available anywhere? If I find a system that plays well but has cosmetic issues I would be interested in getting one.

5) Homebrew Games - Any good ones (especially with overlays) currently available at retail prices and not for a ton on eBay?

Anything else you think I am missing? Thanks Again!

Nick

1) Multicarts - I am not looking to collect games, and would love everything in one package. Is the quality of a multicart the same as buying the regular games? I would still use overlays and would buy reproductions.. Would a Multicart me the way to go?

5) Homebrew Games - Any good ones (especially with overlays) currently available at retail prices and not for a ton on eBay?

There's a member here that builds and sells a 72-in-1 multicart - I highly recommend it. His user ID is "Richard H."

You NEED to get Kristof Tuts home brews Vectrexians and Vector Pilot. Contact him at this www

1. I recommend a "flash"cart, not a multicart. A flash cart lets you put your own copies of ROMS on it, original or homebrew. Also, I strongly recommend buying a flashcart that will reset back to the menu (with the reset button), not requiring you to turn the Vectrex off and on between game changes.

2. I believe Vecfever is a flashcart. I have several multicarts and flashcarts and I'll be buying one of these, too. I may never use the extra features.

3. I always left the buzz there until it got so bad on one unit that I installed a separate audio amp to circumvent the built in amp. The quiet is amazing and I recommend nuking the buzz. I'll never go back!

4. I am mostly an originalist (buzz removal excepted) and am not a fan of skinning the Vectrex. But if the unit was scratched up I would. I think the skins peel off later for the most part.

5. I like several homebrew games and flashcarts let me run most of the ones I want.

• Like 1

PCB = Printed Circuit Board, just the game without a case being offered but you can buy a cart shell from Vectrexer (I even have a spare if he's sold out). There is a member here who makes overlays and I remember seeing a Big Blue custom overlay he did.. His handle is Funknflow5200, try shooting him a message on here.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

LoL.....you wouldn't happen to own a bunch of funny book drawings with rabbits and swords would you?? ;)

Strangely enough, yes ;) small world mate, small world... anyhow, you've stumbled upon one of my favourite retro consoles of all time, and when I own everything, I own... almost everything heh.

If you're just looking to play set games, then buying a multicart is probably the way forward. If you want to try out games that people release as ROMs on the net as well, then a flash cart is the way forward. The VecMulti is brilliant, even better if Richard is selling them reduced price currently. VecFever will have a lot going for it, but is also bound to be more expensive heh.

No kidding right? Too crazy

I already had purchased a 72 in 1 (seems good enough to begin with) and Big Blue PCB today. I will probably get the VecFever once released as well. My next step is getting some overlays. I am trying to do a little at a time to spread out the $$

And of course at the same time looking for a good system to use all this stuff with ;)

Any recommendations of psychedelic overlay pairings with games?

Well, on the front of psychedelic overlays, there's a guy called Steven Kray on FB who does overlay reproductions, and a bunch of new ones, including some colourful chaos that Jeff Minter would be proud of in a light synth heh. If you're on FB, try joining the group "Vectrex Fans Unite".

Well I finally got my system! It is very clean with 2 awesome (and clean) controllers and the system box. The buzz is minimal and I can hardly notice it while playing most games. I definitely paid up for it but it was shipped very professionally and I am super happy. I just have a few questions as it has been 30 years since I have played one.

I notice minor flickering (very minor) during most games, especially right when I use the controller. I assume this is normal?

When playing minestorm I can go all the way to the very edge of the screen on the left, but on the right maybe up until 1/2 inch before coming out the other side.

During scramble it seems like instead of things popping on and off the screen they sort of stretch on the right maybe half inch of the screen and shrink off the left side of the screen? It messed with my eyes for a little bit. Also...you can't go more than halfway across the screen right?

I should expect some overlays to be slightly off?

When the brightness is too high there is a dot in the middle....when it is all the way up there are crazy lines.....normal?? lol

Thanks everyone! Hope my multicart comes in soon!

Edited by redrumh2o

Well I think I adjusted it pretty good. I got my minestorm and armor attack to the edges, but Scramble just wont go...still looks the same as the pic above. Could it be a bad cartridge?

Also things shrink when they get to the left and right edges, but not the top and bottom.....any ideas? My fix for the time being is to just shrink the margins all around to about 1 1/2"...of course that messes up the overlays so I will have to get some psychedelic ones

Edited by redrumh2o