IGNORED

600XL RAM upgrade fail :(

Sector7e

While upgrading the RAM in my newly purchased 600XL I accidentally broke off leg 16 on chip 74LS158N K8404 in slot U6. :(

Is this an acceptable replacement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signetics-74LS158N-Qty-1-dip16-Ships-in-USA-Tomorrow-/261876487510?hash=item3cf90e1556:g:TnAAAOSwymxVR-al

This chip is marked 74LS158N 8142 vs the original 74LS158N 8404. What do the last 4 numbers stand for?

the last 4 numbers are just a date code, but also that chip is very expensive. These chips can be had for < $1 if you look in the right place. Try searching some other numbers:

First, leave off the N: 74LS158 (of any DIP package) will do

Also, there are several other variants which should work fine, 74ALS158, 74F158, 74HCT158, 74ACT158 will all work.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 2

Probably work in a single wipe or machined pin socket. But try getting a thin wire to stay in a dual wipe socket. I hate it when I break a leg but it's relatively easy to solder a donor leg on and it ends up being just as durable...any trick to save money :)

Edited by shoestring

Probably work in a single wipe or machined pin socket. But try getting a thin wire to stay in a dual wipe socket.

It can be done. Solid core wire and a micro-jeweler’s screwdriver will work wonders. :)

That said, the small 74xxx chips on most of my boards seem to be single wipe sockets.

where are you located, I have a small stack of 74LS158's laying around I would be glad to mail you one for the price of postage if you are in the US (and yea I paid like 78 cents each + postage on digikey)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1