Photo

Text Label Large TM Question

8 replies to this topic

#1 Mats90245 OFFLINE  

Mats90245

Star Raider

• 80 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:28 PM

I have a question about the TM on the labels of a couple games. As you can see, the TM on Video Olympics and Street racer are large and not like the ones I've had on these carts in the past.

Is this different TM common or does it even matter?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2906.JPG

#2 alex_79 ONLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,024 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:35 PM

They look like replacement labels made using the "2600 Label Maker"

621665531-top.jpg

Edited by alex_79, Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 PM.

#3 Mats90245 OFFLINE  

Mats90245

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 PM

Bogus labels? Say it ain't so. Makes sense, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

#4 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,890 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:36 PM

Yeah, I've never even heard of labels like that in almost 20 years of collecting. They also look too clean, and the black background lighter than than all the others. Plus the "TM" font doesn't jive the the "TM" fonts used on every other text label cart.

Sorry man, but I'm calling repro as well. Not a real loss, though, since both those carts are common as dirt, and those repro labels are probably upgrades from what was on them before. :)

#5 Mats90245 OFFLINE  

Mats90245

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 PM

Sound like they're repro labels. Good to know.

I bought a collection of games this weekend and found some unlabeled M Network games in there. Turns out there was a Star Strike and Bump and Jump without labels.

My question, do I leave them as-is or should I add some repro labels, now that I know how to do it?

Does it lower the value of rare games to put a fake label on it, even if I let people know it's not original?

I'm tempted because the post-it note that's on there now isn't too attractive.

Edited by Mats90245, Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:19 PM.

#6 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Moonsweeper

• 373 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:06 PM

I'm not one to answer on the value of a rare cart with a new label, but in my opinion, a new label is always better than no label or one that's more or less destroyed. When it comes to most games, buying nice new labels costs more than the cart, but If it's a cart you intend to keep and play, I say do what you want to it. :) There are a couple of people on the forums who make really nice repro labels, even foil ones. If you don't mind spending the money, they are well worth it to freshen up the look of old carts. Of course, you can print them yourself too, but for durability, I would go with one of the guys who does it here on the forums.

#7 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,890 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 PM

Just my opinion: as a collector who likes having and displaying carts, a repro label is always better than a ratty label or no label at all*. As far as value, it probably shouldn't lower the value any more than if it had no label at all*. In the case of Street Racer and Video Olympics (check out my recent "Favorite Variations" threads on these carts! [/shamelessplug]), whatever difference it makes is probably negligible--those carts in good condition aren't worth much more than ones in bad condition anyway. Personally, though, I'd rather have a good-looking repro label on a cart than a trashy, faded, washed-out, and torn original label.

(*Except in odd cases like Milton-Bradley or Wizard Video cartridges that sometimes didn't have labels originally.)

In the case of something slightly more exotic like Star Strike or Bump 'N' Jump, personally I'd pay more for a cart with a repro label than one with no label; I consider it a convenience tax for saving me from having to make one myself. I'd potentially even pay more for a repro-label cart than a cart with a really cruddy original label (which, again, I'd probably want to replace anyway, but it would depend on the cart and the condition). But, obviously, I wouldn't pay as much as I would for a clean original label.

Just make sure that if/when you're selling them, always be clear and up front about it. Some buyers get really weird and pissy about repro labels and have it in their heads that anyone selling a cart with a repro label is a scammer or something. Best to get in front of that. :)

Hope that helps!

#8 Mats90245 OFFLINE  

Mats90245

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 PM

I appreciate all the input and will probably print myself some labels to clean these carts up. I'm keeping the games and agree that even a homemade label is better than nothing at all.

#9 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Moonsweeper

• 373 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 PM

I have probably 60 carts that I'd like to replace the labels on, but having them professionally done is cost prohibitive and I don't own a printer (or have the money to buy ink, etc.) So my options are limited at the moment. I did find a local print shop who did some vintage R2-D2 figure stickers for me on weather proof paper for a VERY reasonable price. If I recall correctly, it was about $5 to do enough stickers to restore 48 R2-D2 figures to displayable condition.. So, When I do decide to replace some labels on my 2600 carts, that's the way I'll go. I'd suggest checking local print shops to see if any of them would do a small batch of labels for you. It might not cost too much and the quality would far exceed anything you could print at home. if they have the ability to cut the labels too, that would be worth the extra money to know you had nice straight lines and neat corners.

Edited by RamrodHare, Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users