IGNORED

Top 25 ColecoVision Arcade Ports?

TPR

ColecoVision was most known for its arcade ports. Someone asked me recently to suggest the top 25 arcade ports from the original library for the system (no homebrews) and I actually had a VERY HARD TIME choosing just 25. Here is my list in alphabetical order. I didn't want to rank as I kind of love them all almost equally!

Burgertime
Carnival
Congo Bongo
Cosmic Avenger
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
Frenzy
Frogger
Gorf
Gyruss
Jungle Hunt
Lady Bug
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do!
Omega Race
Pepper II
Popeye
Q*Bert
Star Trek
Tapper
Time Pilot
Turbo
Venture
Zaxxon
Which ones would you change? You're ONLY allowed to have 25.
  • Like 4

Well, I have to definitely choose the few that I could afford to buy for the system when I was a teenager and those are marked in blue. The games I'd change are shown as red for deleted and green for added.:

Burgertime
Carnival
Congo Bongo
Cosmic Avenger
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
Defender
Frenzy
Frogger
Galaxian
Gorf
Gyruss
Jungle Hunt
Lady Bug
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do!
Mr. Do's! Castle
Omega Race
Pepper II
Popeye
Q*Bert
Star Trek (wow - I had no idea this was an arcade game - you learn something new every day)
Star Wars
Tapper
Time Pilot
Turbo
Venture
Zaxxon
Edited by Ikrananka

Star Trek was a neat arcade game, you sat in a plastic captain chair with a spinner on one armrest and buttons on another. Vector graphics, digitized speech. Good stuff.

TPR's list looks pretty definitive to me. I'll have to look at a list to find anything I didn't remember.

I'd be happy wth a compilation (or stack of cartridges) of all that stuff, save for Carnival, which is trash. I'll take Star Wars in its place, not that it's a great port, but because I so love the original.

Star Trek was a neat arcade game, you sat in a plastic captain chair with a spinner on one armrest and buttons on another. Vector graphics, digitized speech. Good stuff.

TPR's list looks pretty definitive to me. I'll have to look at a list to find anything I didn't remember.

I'd be happy wth a compilation (or stack of cartridges) of all that stuff, save for Carnival, which is trash. I'll take Star Wars in its place, not that it's a great port, but because I so love the original.

I will definitely have to spend a little time checking out Star Trek the arcade game. I had a quick look at a YouTube video and it looks very impressive.

I'm a huge fan of Galaxian, Defender and Star Wars, having played those a lot in the arcades, so they had to be in my list. This means others have to be casualties :(

As TPR says - it's very hard to choose.

Edited by Ikrananka

I would add: Bump N Jump, Centipede, Defender, Galaxian, Spy Hunter, Star Wars: The Arcade Game, Subroc, Super Cobra, Victory (CBS).

I would remove: Carnival, Congo Bongo, Gorf, Gyruss, Jungle Hunt, Omega Race, Q*Bert, Tapper, Turbo.

Here's my Top 25 in alphabetical order

Bump N Jump

Burgertime
Centipede
Cosmic Avenger
Defender
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Frenzy
Frogger
Galaxian
Lady Bug
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr Do!
Pepper II
Popeye
Spy Hunter
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
Star Wars: The Arcade Game
Subroc

Super Cobra
Time Pilot
Venture
Victory (CBS)
Zaxxon

Edited by ed1475

Hooray a happy thread about CV games! I find it odd Robb that you use Space Panic as your avatar, yet you don't have one of the best ports on your list. :P

Burgertime
Carnival
Congo Bongo Centipede
Cosmic Avenger
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
Frenzy
Frogger
Gorf Galaxian
Gyruss
Jungle Hunt Q*Bert's QUBES
Lady Bug
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do!
Omega Race Space Panic
Pepper II
Popeye
Q*Bert
Star Trek Spy Hunter
Tapper
Time Pilot
Turbo
Venture
Zaxxon

Some of my favorites such as Oil's Well, Threshold, and River Raid apparently were not arcade games before being available on the Colecovision. Dig Dug and Pac-Man (AtariSoft versions for both games) were quite good, so it's disappointing that they didn't officially release for the Colecovision.

I didn't hang out much in the arcades, so there are probably games I wasn't aware were arcade games. It's funny: you have trouble picking JUST 25 and I've only managed to name 24 in my list below. Had Oil's Well and River Raid been arcade games, they'd definitely make my list here.

BurgerTime

Carnival

Centipede

Cosmic Avenger

Defender

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Frenzy
Frogger
Galaxian
Gorf

Jungle Hunt

Lady Bug

Mouse Trap

Mr. Do!
Pepper II
Q*Bert
Spy Hunter

Tapper

Time Pilot

Turbo

Venture

Zaxxon

OK, I took the Wikipedia list of ColecoVision games, and trimmed everything that wasn't an arcade port. I count "only" 44 of them, which is still a fair piece of the original library and says a lot about the time period. Choplifter and Pitfall II were arcade games, but since they were ports FROM a home version, they don't count. I'm sure someone will sing out if I made a mistake.

I think it's pretty easy to cull 19 games you don't want and still have a very nice collection.

Here's the full list:

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
Bump 'n' Jump
BurgerTime
Carnival
Centipede
Congo Bongo
Cosmic Avenger
Defender
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Frenzy
Frogger
Front Line
Galaxian
Gorf
Gyruss
Jungle Hunt
Lady Bug
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do!
Mr. Do!'s Castle
Omega Race
Pepper II
Popeye
Q*bert
Q*bert's Qubes
Roc 'N Rope
Slither
Space Fury
Space Panic
Spy Hunter
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
SubRoc
Super Cobra
Tapper
Turbo
Tutankham
Up'n Down
Venture
Victory
Zaxxon
I would lose:
Carnival (boring), Centipede (because it's on literally ever system ever), Congo Bongo (looked good in olden times, plays poorly), Front Line (never liked this or most military-themed things), Galaxian (because it's old and tired), Omega Race (just don't like it much), Roc n Rope (admittedly because I never played it), Slither (needs roller controller to play well), Space Panic (yawn), Spy Hunter (much better ports elsewhere), SubRoc (meh), Turbo (amazeballs once upon a time, but no more), Tutankham (did anyone ever like this?), Up n Down (meh), and Victory (even though it has a Rebel Armored Snowspeeder on the marquee).
1181242184359.jpg
That's fifteen gone. I need another 4 to get down to "only" 25, and I am starting to appreciate that this is harder than it seemed. Oh, if only there were a "Donkey Kong Classics" with both DK games. This last bunch hurts a bit.
Also drop:
Looping (it's a unique port, but it's not as fun as it once was), Star Wars (because it doesn't really do justice to the arcade game), Super Cobra (because we have Cosmic Avenger, which I think is very ColecoVision)
Still need one more. In my heart I know that I don't need Lady Bug AND Mouse Trap, but they both seem so iconic. Just pick one for me, please.

I would lose:

I know you're trying to trim down to 25, but my $.02 and because I have time to kill on a slow work day...

Carnival (boring)

No way! I loved the arcade game and I used to play this all the time on the CV when it came out...when I was a kid I always loved the bear stage - it was hilarious

Centipede (because it's on literally ever system ever)

It's one of the better home versions but I think the 7800 is the best.

Congo Bongo (looked good in olden times, plays poorly)

Frustrating until you get the hang of it. I still lose lives on the second screen and never really figured out a strategy on how not to die.

Galaxian (because it's old and tired)

But it's the best home version of Galaxian out there.

Roc n Rope (admittedly because I never played it)

It's a fun game definitely give it a try

Slither (needs roller controller to play well)

Requires the roller controller if memory serves

Space Panic (yawn)

CV version is probably the best home version of the game and IMHO is better than the arcade game. Once the game progresses to where the bad guys have to fall through 2 or 3 holes it gets too hard and I'm no longer interested.

SubRoc (meh)

It's a cool game - you really need to try it with the roller controller. Problem is that when you get to later stages the game slows down and you start dying because the system stops responding. I wish someone would do a re-release of this and fix the slowdown problem.

Looping (it's a unique port, but it's not as fun as it once was)

I had this cartridge for like 2 years before I even played it cuz I had no idea how to play. Then I figured it out and it's one of my favorite games. Much better than the arcade game.

Super Cobra (because we have Cosmic Avenger, which I think is very ColecoVision)

This is another game that sat in my collection collecting dust. I like having the continue feature (I wish the home versions of Scramble had this) because finishing the game is satisfying.

Still need one more. In my heart I know that I don't need Lady Bug AND Mouse Trap, but they both seem so iconic. Just pick one for me, please.

I would keep Mouse Trap. Loved it when I was a kid and still do to this day. Another one where the home version is better than the arcade.

I like the little tunes in Frenzy. I was bummed to learn they aren't in the arcade original.

The tunes in Frenzy are hilarious.

• Like 1

I'd say if you grew up playing the coleco vision version you might prefer to play that version today. They are really different games. Most arcade games are designed to be pretty easy to start but can ramp up difficulty pretty quick. Difficulty in arcade versions is not a problem as I get all the credits I want by pressing '5' on the keyboard.

Take coleco vision donkey kong for example. What's the difference between the four skill options? I would have expected it to advance/skip you to advanced levels within the game. I think one gives you more marios. I thought another one removes the springs from the elevator screen?

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Take coleco vision donkey kong for example. What's the difference between the four skill options? I would have expected it to advance/skip you to advanced levels within the game. I think one gives you more marios. I thought another one removes the springs from the elevator screen?

There are no springs AT ALL in the CV DK translation. If memory serves the different skill levels affect your starting lives and the number of fireballs on the elevator and rivets screens. I don't recall if there are any changes to the barrels screen.

Tutankham (did anyone ever like this?)

Read my signature ;)

I actually prefer the ColecoVision version of Tutankham over the arcade.

The player death animation is faster, and the TURBO bats don't show up until level 9 on the CV.

It's also better looking than the Vic 20 and INTV ports.

Some forum members are fans of the 2600 version, but its so different than the arcade version, it's almost an unrelated game.

• Like 1

If I can pick the ones I would love to play right now non-stop for an hour or more because I do enjoy these games...

Here's my 25 favorites arcade ports from the original ColecoVision arcade ports library.
(alphabetical order)

• Bump 'n' Jump
  • BurgerTime
  • Centipede
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Frenzy
  • Frogger
  • Galaxian
  • Gorf
  • Gyruss
  • Lady Bug