Photo

Printing from emulators

15 replies to this topic

#1 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 178 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 AM

Do any of the 4A emulators allow for actual printing?  I know MAME allows you to "print" to a file.  

Let's say I'm using Page Pro and want to get an actual hard copy of a page.  How might that be done with an emulator?

#2 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 AM

Right, you can print to a file in MAME, but this file will be filled with printer control codes for the selected printer. I can imagine that printers could be emulated, but I actually don't know whether there is already work in progress. (If so, may I add some impact printer noise? ;) )

#3 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,323 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 AM

You can output text in Classic99 to the CLIP device.

...lee

#4 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Only text, though?  I mean, it's pretty simple to "print" to PIO in MAME from something like TI-Writer or Funnelweb, take the resulting .txt file, and import it into a word processor on macOS/Windows/Linux/etc for actual printing.  But I'm more interested in graphics (as in my PagePro example).

I know Bruce Harrison did some work on printing to ink jet printers...not sure what encoding they used (PCL maybe?) although that was mostly for printing TI-Artist files and such.

It's not like I NEED to do this, of course...a modern word processor runs circles around something like PagePro (although I bet most of them won't let me type in any direction as easily).  But it would be nice to get some output as I'm playing around.

#5 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,753 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:02 PM

I started an Epson emulator after failing to find much I could use on the net, but I got bogged down and it turned into a larger task than I planned. I've no idea if I will revisit it, but it doesn't do anything today.

#6 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:10 PM

Tursi
If you revisit and build it, please let me know! I've looked for an emulator to take a ti-writer file and print to pc. Many doc files for software written back in the old days to be ran thru the formatter. It would be nice to put them to pdf for archival purposes.

#7 ChoccyHobNob OFFLINE  

ChoccyHobNob

Space Invader

• 10 posts
  • AtariArtist

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:26 PM

Looks like this might be a thing

https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF

#8 RWAP OFFLINE  

RWAP

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 5:17 AM

Looks like this might be a thing

https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF

Well spotted - this is one of my projects and a spin off from my Retro-Printer project - www.retroprinter.com

The PrinterToPDF is the public domain version of the conversion code - it is written in C and tested running on a Raspberry Pi.

It handles most of the ESC/P2 control codes so is more versatile than many of the older projects you can find out there.

#9 schmitzi OFFLINE  

schmitzi

River Patroller

• 3,817 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:12 AM

Well spotted - this is one of my projects and a spin off from my Retro-Printer project - www.retroprinter.com

The PrinterToPDF is the public domain version of the conversion code - it is written in C and tested running on a Raspberry Pi.

It handles most of the ESC/P2 control codes so is more versatile than many of the older projects you can find out there.

Cool. Nice to know you are here  ;-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#10 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 AM

Nice!  I'll have to play around with that.

#11 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,323 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 AM

Tursi
If you revisit and build it, please let me know! I've looked for an emulator to take a ti-writer file and print to pc. Many doc files for software written back in the old days to be ran thru the formatter. It would be nice to put them to pdf for archival purposes.

I have been thinking for quite a long time about writing a translator in Forth to take a TI-Writer-formatted document to something like PDF or TeX. Lately, I have been looking at RTF as an intermediate output because it looks easier than PDF (I have not looked at TeX for ages). An RTF file can be read and converted by MS Word or OOO Writer to PDF. I think this would be relatively easy to do for Classic99 because it can be configured to write Windows text files.

Some limitations I would probably impose:

1. Ignore any transliterate commands that start with ‘27’, but maybe all transliterate commands
  2. Allow the user to specify fonts other than “Courier New”, but only for fill-formatted text
  3. Impose user-modifiable, but minimum, top and bottom margins of 1/4", managing font size to accommodate page-length format commands
  4. Maybe ignore page-length commands altogether
  5. Ignore mail-merge and alternate-input commands (should not affect any archive-worthy documents)

As you can see, I have not traversed far in this project—just SOC rambling at this juncture!

...lee

#12 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 PM

Lee
I'd be happy to test if it ever comes to fruition!

#13 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,323 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:46 AM

For a TI Writer translator, perhaps I should include additional formatter codes for third-party-enhanced versions of TI Writer. TI Writer v5.0 by R. A. Green is the only one for which I have a manual. Any suggestions?

...lee

#14 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:59 PM

I'd say that all of the codes should be shown in that documentation. I can scrounge around in my files and probably find some other stuff. Do you think TL commands will be included?

#15 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,323 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:48 PM

I'd say that all of the codes should be shown in that documentation. I can scrounge around in my files and probably find some other stuff. 

That would be great.

Do you think TL commands will be included?

That will be difficult because some of them may be printer control codes and I definitely do not want to support those.  For RAG TI Writer v5.0, it is simple.  “.PC” is used for printer control codes and are easy to ignore.  If I allow “.TL”, I will need to parse each command string to limit the transliteration to acceptable ASCII codes.  This would be all printable characters.  I may try to convert three-character combinations with a BS character in the middle to the single character likely intended, e.g., “.TL123:110,8,126” would convert ‘{’ to ‘ñ’.  But, I will probably not be able to anticipate all combinations and may simply choose the alphabetic character if there is only one, or the first, if there are two.  I could also emit a special character, like ‘█’, to signal a need to check the original.  TL definitely complicates things.

...lee

#16 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Today, 4:18 AM

Lee,

Hopefully these will help.

Attached File  TIW_Supplement.pdf   2.08MB   2 downloads

Attached File  TIW_Tips&Tricks.pdf   729.22KB   2 downloads

Attached File  using-the-ti-writer-word-processor.pdf   1.14MB   2 downloads

Attached File  the-writers.pdf   9.01MB   2 downloads

Edited by sparkdrummer, Today, 4:20 AM.

3 user(s) are browsing this forum

2 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users