Atari 2600 Hardware

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Fahy OFFLINE  

Tomas Fahy

Combat Commando

• 1 posts
  • Dropped a CRT TV on my toe.

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:46 PM

Hi, i'm new to Atari 2600 collecting and was wondering what the best version of the 2600 was. I can't go for something rare/expensive E.G heavy sixer since i don't have the biggest budget, i'm only 12. I just need something that works.

Edited by Tomas Fahy, Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 PM.

#2 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,371 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 PM

I would suggest a Darth Vader. Jrs are cheaper, but have slight compatibility issues.

Attached Thumbnails

• Atari2600darthvader.jpg

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 PM.

#3 toiletunes ONLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 PM

4 switch woody- common, inexpensive, easy to diagnose/repair, few if any incompatibility issues, good image quality. A good starter system.

Console of choice? A 7800.

#4 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 3,555 posts

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 PM

all the 4 switchers seem to be pretty tough, I would say the vader is a little tougher, the jr's work but I dont like the buttons on them and apparently neither did a lot of people cause they are often smashed to death heh, but they mostly do everything the big boys do and are often cheap

Edited by Osgeld, Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:06 PM.

#5 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Chopper Commander

• 143 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 PM

I've messed with most of them, except the Jr. Out of the last 3 2600s I ran into, the only one that was fully working was a worn 4 switch woody that was badly beaten up. the case had chips and cracks all over it, so I pulled the board out of it (revision 12) and stuck it into a Vader shell that had a bad board. So I have a nice new looking Vader, that I did the LED and AV mods on. So, in my recent experience, I'd lean toward looking for one of the 4 switch woodys. Of course any working 4 switcher would be fine. As far as the 7800 goes, mine works great, but the plastic on them is very brittle, so you have to be careful with them. I AV modded mine and I use it quite often, even for my 2600 games. The cartridge connector on the 7800 is too tight for some games, but if you ever have the system apart, to do an AV mod or something, you can remove the plastic part of the connector and file out the corners and reinstall it. Then all the carts will fit. I don't have any experience with the Jr. but I have been tempted to buy one, just because it's smaller, making it more carry friendly if I want to take it with me somewhere. :)

If you buy an Atari off eBay, just makes sure the seller has plenty of positive feedback and lists the console as "Tested and working". Good luck on getting your Atari! :thumbsup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari 2600, Hardware

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users